The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Default why do people in classifieds hide serial #s?

Just curious. doesnt matter to me, not a bit... but... why do individuals very often cover up their serial numbers, but dealers and other obviously experienced individuals reveal them willingly to encourage people being able to verify they're getting the correct guitar from a demo video, for instance?

Ive tried to reason thru it.. i just can't think of an instance where I'd care if someone had the serial # from one of my guitars.. or anything nefarious that could be done with it.

then again, maybe I'm naive. . and also pretty tired. maybe i'm overthinking.

cheers
SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 07-14-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Just curious. doesnt matter to me, not a bit... but... why do individuals very often cover up their serial numbers, but dealers and other obviously experienced individuals reveal them willingly to encourage people being able to verify they're getting the correct guitar from a demo video, for instance?

Ive tried to reason thru it.. i just can't think of an instance where I'd care if someone had the serial # from one of my guitars.. or anything nefarious that could be done with it.

then again, maybe I'm naive. . and also pretty tired. maybe i'm overthinking.

cheers
SC
The only half-believable explanation I've heard is that someone can report it as stolen to the local Police and, perhaps, get it from you that way if you can't document ownership. This seems pretty far-fetched (since if the scheme fails the perpetrator is now on the hook, right?) but I guess is not out of the realm of possibility.

I've sold a couple of Tom Andersons, and always supplied the serial number so folks could go to Tom's website and check on the specs for that specific guitar.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:12 PM

My understanding is that withholding the serial number makes it more difficult for scammers to use those images and convince victims to send them money for a guitar that's not actually in their possession (provided that potential buyers have enough presence of mind to request the serial number.)

whm
Old 07-14-2018, 11:36 PM

Well, couldn't a crook use a serial number from someone else's guitar to sell a counterfeit guitar? Buyer looks up serial number, it's legit, so fake guitar seems legit, goes ahead and buys it.

I wouldn't disclose the serial number in the ad but I would supply it in personal correspondence.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 PM

That's the reasoning I've heard, Wade. Seems to help.

cotten
Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 AM

Just overly cautious bordering on paranoid.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Just overly cautious bordering on paranoid.
Even though Wade's statement makes perfect sense I favor yours. It's not like its registered with the state like a vehicle. Scammers would figure out a way to doctor an image to make it look legit......ebay and reverb provide a slew of S/N's.

Last edited by srick; 07-15-2018 at 06:27 AM. Reason: removed bad language
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 AM

If you're thinking about this and trying to reason thru it - it does appear to matter to you - and that's ok.

I've twice sold guitars only to have them, with my original pictures show up for sale on the international market. The sellers don't have to disclose who is interested in the guitars or who is trying to get them to take the ad down and stop using their pictures for some ill gotten gains. Should imagine that they will just ignore those communications.

The last one was a McPherson Camrielle that I owned, very unique wood and inlays that I sold to a guy in Texas. About a month later when doing a search he noticed the same guitar and pictures listing it for sale. He contacted me directly, we discussed the matter and came to the conclusion that he had the guitar, all was well with us and someone out there somewhere was now trying to sell his guitar with my pics. In that instance, serial numbers just give added validity to a sale for a scammer - I will pass numbers on to what I think may be a potential solid buyer when I'm selling thru an established site if they are interested in having them.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Not only guitars. People do it with anything that has a serial number.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Well, couldn't a crook use a serial number from someone else's guitar to sell a counterfeit guitar? Buyer looks up serial number, it's legit, so fake guitar seems legit, goes ahead and buys it.

I wouldn't disclose the serial number in the ad but I would supply it in personal correspondence.
That used to be the case with high end counterfeiters turning out copies of pre-war Martins and Gibson F5's but all that stuff is widely available online now so its moot. There's even a site now where they list the serial numbers of Gibson F5's that are "missing" or unaccounted for.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Not only guitars. People do it with anything that has a serial number.
May be true but the only thing that I could see NOT printing out the whole number on would be firearms. State and Federal registry of same could lead to a whole bunch of trouble. Other than that its not like you are printing out Your SS# or credit card account number, really.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
The only half-believable explanation I've heard is that someone can report it as stolen to the local Police and, perhaps, get it from you that way if you can't document ownership. This seems pretty far-fetched (since if the scheme fails the perpetrator is now on the hook, right?) but I guess is not out of the realm of possibility.
I've heard that reasoning before too...but even if I didn't have receipts for every guitar I own (which I do) the would be thief would have to produce proof of ownership of my guitar before any authorities would take his claim seriously...

I seriously doubt the authorities would consider confiscating a guitar from the possession of one individual who has no proof of ownership, to award it to another individual who has no proof of ownership...and as you said, I'm pretty sure the would be thief could be charged with attempted theft by deception or similar charges...

I agree, this one has always sounded pretty far fetched for anyone to take it seriously...
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM

Any new guitar that has been refurbished by an authorized refurbisher and sold as 'used' or as a 'second' will have the serial number blacked out to void any warranty.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
May be true but the only thing that I could see NOT printing out the whole number on would be firearms. State and Federal registry of same could lead to a whole bunch of trouble. Other than that its not like you are printing out Your SS# or credit card account number, really.
I don't know how. Any item with a serial number is the same. I think people just get unduly nervous about things and then there is a lot of internet rumor and suspicion out there. Anyway, I don't think it makes much difference, unless it is something you want to look up before you buy.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

If you wanted a serial number, especially a Martin serial number, all you'd have to do is look it up on the web. I even have a business card with Martin serial numbers on it by year.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion