The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Heck, I'd save the money or use it to go on a nice vacation...what more could you want out of a guitar than what you're already getting out of that Outlaw??? It sounds outstanding in your hands!
Point well taken. I'm in no rush. The Outlaw and my D-18 do the Mahogany voice exceptionally well. But as many of you know, their is a classic Rosewood Martin voice that is equally exceptional. But man, ....I could use a REALLY nice vacation. Where someone else plays guitar and I listening while enjoying a refreshing beverage and the company of a fine woman.

Then again, I'm in need of a fine woman too. (Better get the guitar first ..right?) LOL
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Point well taken. I'm in no rush. The Outlaw and my D-18 do the Mahogany voice exceptionally well. But as many of you know, their is a classic Rosewood Martin voice that is equally exceptional. But man, ....I could use a REALLY nice vacation. Where someone else plays guitar and I listening while enjoying a refreshing beverage and the company of a fine woman.

Then again, I'm in need of a fine woman too. (Better get the guitar first ..right?) LOL
I would personally have a hard time "adding" a D-41. Partly because I myself would realize the money I'd have tied up in both of them, so I'd be obsessing over A/Bing them and trying to pit them against each other in an attempt to find a "winner."

For example, I just bought my Les Paul and "planned" to sell my PRS SC245. Problem is they both sound on point, and I'm pulling my hair out because all I'm doing right now is playing the Les Paul for 10 minutes, then pulling out the PRS for 10 minutes. The second I think I prefer one, the other surprises me in a mix or with a backing track. It is TOUGH on a simple man's mind!

I've contemplated taking the Les Paul back to the shop because I'm actually driving myself crazy over this nonsense! What is wrong with me? lol

Do you really want that scenario with a D-41?
Old 07-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I think Gary and Shades should start a YouTube show demoing the symptoms of GAS while performing on each acquisition so we can vicariously enjoy them too!

The Gary n Shades Show!

Sign me up as a charter subscriber! eric
Old 07-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
I think Gary and Shades should start a YouTube show demoing the symptoms of GAS while performing on each acquisition so we can vicariously enjoy them too!

The Gary n Shades Show!!

I think you are onto something.... hold my beer!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The Gary n Shades Show!

I'm in! Sounds like fun!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to The Groberts and Shades Show featuring our weekly guest; "GAS Attack".

Shade's; Your point about A-B'ing and agonizing over two great instruments is well taken. And you are entirely correct. How could I not pit one against the other ....ultimately to declare a victor? One flavor would be more to my liking on any given day)

I am actually doing that currently asking myself if I REALLY want to let go of my Martin OMC-18e? It is cutaway ...and I value the upper access which gets used. So I've been doing another informal shootout with my Collings OM1A (which would fetch enough $$ to fund a D41)

I have not been playing the OM's since returning to the Dreads. I prefer the richer, fuller more complete frequency response from the dread body. It is my TrueNorth.

I am no rush and I am more clear the only thing operating at this stage is "want". If and when I have the chance to play a D41 for myself then the GAS might become larger. But for now ... let's return to our regularly scheduled episode and enjoy another number from "Gas Attack".
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

My gas did not calm down until I had a guitar with that vertical Martin logo. It is nice to open the case and see it.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
My gas did not calm down until I had a guitar with that vertical Martin logo. It is nice to open the case and see it.
Which model ? Assuming it was 40’s series? And yet still the Outlaw gets the playing time? Good to know.☺️
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

GROBERTS & SHADES SHOW

Ok, questions from the audience:

Yes sir, you in the front with the FSU shirt, what is your question?

Oh, thank you for taking my question!

My name is noledog and my questions is for Groberts;

Gary, uh may I call you Gary? Well I was wondering since the OMC-18 isn't gettin' much love, that you might be trading it in on a D-35...or better yet, sell the combo of the Collings and the OMC-18 to purchase a D-fortysomething?

And one follow up, what beer do you prefer and does it enhance your gas?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Allow me to muddy the water and say I liked your Martin OMC-18. :-)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Noledog, - Thanks for watching the show! Sure, you can call me Gary. LOL

Somewhere along the way I thought; if my OM's are not getting the love, I should keep the more 'Premium" OM and let the other one go. So it sort of made sense to keep the Collings OM1A.

The OMC-18E was not quite rocking my world as much as the Collings has. But a large part of that rationale is I've owned the OM1A a lot longer. This Collings OM1A has an Aid Top and it delivers punch from an OM that gives more volume than a Sitka topped OM. ...If more volume is called for? Thing is, I don't normally play that aggressively so I am realizing this is a rather moot point. My particular OM1A is one of the more special Collings OM1A's I've ever heard or played.

BUT!!! (This just in) I just put on fresh, identical Martin SP Lifespan PB strings on both guitars. (Collings OM1A and the Martin OMC-18e) Guess what? The gap is narrow and I prefer the Martin Voice. Man, I LOVE the Martin voice! (Can I get an Amen from the audience?) LOL

Another bonus is my Martin OMC-18E is cutaway, and I use the access. So I am about to make a very different decision.

I can sell the Collings OM1A for a lot more $$ than the Martin and it will move faster. I really don't need two Mahogany OM's)

So, MartinGitDave for the WIN!You have good ears sir! The OMC-18E is a very musical instrument and it plays effortlessly while offering me a cutaway.

Stay tune for our next episode called "Still on the Fence?"
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Okay, I’m thinking the Outlaw and a 41 could be a hellava duo (especially in YOUR hands, Gary). But just to be sure let’s summarize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I played the new 2018 new D-41, HD-28, and Outlaw back to back at CME this weekend. I was initially of the opinion that the D-41 should sound no different than the HD-28. But, my impression was that the D-41 DID have something extra to offer. I don't know what it was (quality of woods, abalone, etc.) But, it had something different to offer than the new HD-28. Also, the new D-41 did seem to keep up with the new Outlaw they had. Go try one.

My bottom line is that the new 2018s have raised the bar for Martin. The new neck is excellent and the forward shifting of all the guitars has been successful.

I also brought home two new toys, but I'll leave that for another day. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
minimal sound difference??hahahaha!!!!!!!!!! sound difference is hauuugahhhh
Oh...and for those of you who need visuals.

forum image hosting

image upload no resize

Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

GROBERTS & SHADES SHOW

More questions from the audience:

Yes sir, you again Mr. FSU what is your question?

Yes thank you Johnny you for taking my question!

This time my questions is for Shades;

Shades, since an earlier audience member Rev Roy blew up the GAS meter with his gorgeous '18 D-41, and given the fact that like Rev Roy you have a sweet J-45, will this move you closer to the purchase of D-41 for the winning combo??

Thank you, I'll take my question off the air.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Which model ? Assuming it was 40’s series? And yet still the Outlaw gets the playing time? Good to know.☺️
My First was a D-41 and then I upgraded to D-42 with Guatemalan/adi vts-hide glue, burst etc. But the standard 40 series are pretty much D-28's with lots of bling. The outlaw is a hogback authentic with modern neck. Martin has only broken their rules for the outlaw, so far. Best sounding hogback I own.

My first 40 series- D41 and my CS-D42 Love my 42. It is a very special Rosewood. But someone sprinkled pixie dust on the outlaw

Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
GROBERTS & SHADES SHOW

More questions from the audience:

Yes sir, you again Mr. FSU what is your question?

Yes thank you Johnny you for taking my question!

This time my questions is for Shades;

Shades, since an earlier audience member Rev Roy blew up the GAS meter with his gorgeous '18 D-41, and given the fact that like Rev Roy you have a sweet J-45, will this move you closer to the purchase of D-41 for the winning combo??

Thank you, I'll take my question off the air.
Hello Mr. FSU!

You know, I'm a visual guy, so yes, seeing Roy's D-41 constantly popping up across the forum is sort of like putting out a plate of bacon in the morning and expecting me not to have a few "pre-breakfast" pieces. My wife tends to complain about "a pound of bacon just doesn't go as far as it used to," and I simply agree and decide that two packs will be necessary for future meals.

Anyhoo, I digress. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a D-41 is the price. I have no doubt that it is a killer guitar, but I'm having a real problem laying down over $3500 for a guitar. There comes a point where the return on investment just doesn't make sense. If I had more time to play guitar, or if I decided to sell off a couple electrics, then maybe.

So, in the case of Roy, I think a J-45 and a D-41 makes sense. In my case, I've got 3 awesome electrics (having just added the Les Paul) and I am starting to have GAS attacks for a decent tube amp and pedals. This is foreign to me because I haven't gassed for electric guitar items in years.

Gas is a fickle mistress. She steals your heart and leaves you confused with less in your wallet. Gas will never be understood, because it is just fulfilling urges and desires. Once the itch is scratched, we are left picking up the pieces and move to the next itch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion