The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Taylor X Braced Guitars Price Drop?

With the latest news stating that Taylor's USA made guitars will all be using the V Bracing in the coming years common sense would dictate that they obviously think it is a better product than their X braced guitars.

If this is the case then the prices of the 'lesser' models will surely fall as people trade in the older models for the new improved version?

I know that they have been very careful to state that the two types of bracing are 'different' rather than 'better' but actions speak louder than words. How long before the 'Market' starts to reflect this?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolefthands View Post
With the latest news stating that Taylor's USA made guitars will all be using the V Bracing in the coming years common sense would dictate that they obviously think it is a better product than their X braced guitars.

If this is the case then the prices of the 'lesser' models will surely fall as people trade in the older models for the new improved version?

I know that they have been very careful to state that the two types of bracing are 'different' rather than 'better' but actions speak louder than words. How long before the 'Market' starts to reflect this?
Right around the same time people stop creating new threads about V-class Taylors, I think.

Or maybe when Martin reimagines their reimagination.

Or maybe when Mexico makes it to the WC Finals.

'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830

Last edited by drawshot1975; 07-02-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Taylor has created the impression that V-class is not just different--it's better. If this becomes accepted truth, then X-class models will take a hit in perceived value and, one would expect, in pricing.

Then again, if V-class is perceived as "change" but not "improvement," who knows what'll happen. Sometimes big changes don't pan out the way they're supposed to.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Better is always subjective. I have not seen older pre 2012 (redesign year) Martin D18s get decimated in value. Maybe $100. Some like the redesign. Some like the old straight bracing. I imagine Some will like the new Taylors, and some the older.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:30 PM

The Taylor people (Kurt, Bob and Andy) are in agreement and very clear in stating the V class is better. I saw a $100 difference between a 614ce and a V-class 614ce at MF. Their must not be an excess of old inventory around.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Better is always subjective. I have not seen older pre 2012 (redesign year) Martin D18s get decimated in value. Maybe $100. Some like the redesign. Some like the old straight bracing. I imagine Some will like the new Taylors, and some the older.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve priced a new V braced 814ce and it’s priced the same as the X braced version. Based on what I’ve read from Taylor I’ll bet they will transition most models to V bracing in the near future. If I was a betting man I’d bet the X braced versions will be discontinued.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Taylor has created the impression that V-class is not just different--it's better. If this becomes accepted truth, then X-class models will take a hit in perceived value and, one would expect, in pricing.

Then again, if V-class is perceived as "change" but not "improvement," who knows what'll happen. Sometimes big changes don't pan out the way they're supposed to.
I guess that is the question: Will Taylor's marketing campaign become "accepted truth?"
Given the large current fan base who have expressed their undying appreciation for the Taylor tone over the last several years, it seems to me there could easily be 3 camps: worse, different, or better when the reviews of the "V-braced" guitars start to come in.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:36 PM

X-braced Taylors will be sought after by people who want that classic Taylor sound. Maybe not right away but give it a few years and you'll see a big camp of "vintage" Taylor fans.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:39 PM

I know some places actually have the V braced models a bit cheaper than their x braced counterparts. Must be a promotion strategy.

I heard the 614ce builders edition came out. Gorgeous.
No luck with any Canadian dealers who carry it. They are all pre order
Old 07-02-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post

Personally, there is nothing radical about the new V Taylor sound. It's different for sure and I believe that given the right bridge pins, saddle and strings I could make any one of them sound as good as the X braced models. But out of the box *I* am still in the X brace camp. I believe that the radical sweeping switch across all models is a move to lower production cost and turn on the marketing machine (which they have) to convince everyone that the emperor's new clothes are magnificently better than his old wardrobe. They're good guitars and at the same prices they'll sell NEW guitar simply because they are the latest/greatest thing and the sales people have every incentive to push them. Hey, they got us thinking that striped ebony was now as cool as dark black and we bought it (the striping does look pretty cool) but we know that it reduced their ebony costs by a ton because they could harvest every tree they cut.

Sure retailers may begin to discount the X braced models to make room for the new latest/greatest stuff that is getting all the press. And the Taylor V's are good guitars for sure. And most people buying their first Taylor don't know the history of the models as I didn't when I bought my first Taylor.

I'm sure Taylor will sell a ton of these, particularly if there aren't a lot of new X braced around and those that want a Taylor will buy what's available.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Talking

I have no desire to get a V class Taylor. X bracing has been around for a long time.

This new V class bracing hasn't had time to prove it's stability over the long run.

By the time it does I'll be dead and gone.
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM

I’d love to have a 2017 810e DLX or 814ce DLX, but I’m firmly in the, “Mid-90’s was the golden ago of Taylor guitars and their best models out of all of them” camp! I’ve not had the chance to play a revoiced 800 series or a V-class and if I never play either, I won’t know if they’re any different or better sounding than my older dreads! Think of the money I’m saving staying out of guitar shops!,

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Being a little more cynical, it could also mean that the less complex V bracing is cheaper to produce resulting in higher profit margins on all their guitars.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:

What you're asking about would make sense and follow the model we've seen with auto sales when a new year make and model redesign is about to land.

I don't believe you will see a discount. As with any business Taylor is about making as much money as possible. The only reason auto makers and dealerships discount is because they must in order to move product. Taylor probably doesn't have that problem. Taylor sells more acoustic guitars than any other builder and only a small percentage of would be buyers really get into the details of V-braced vs X-braced. So there's a huge market there willing to spend full price on models that according to Taylor's own marketing will be inferior to soon to be released models.

So factor in consumer ignorance about X vs V, the subjective nature of volume/sustain/tone advantage the new models bring and Taylor and dealers having no incentive to offer such discount; it just seems very unlikely.

If you want a new X-braced version of a popular Taylor model, you're probably in the final months of being able to track one down. Don't wait on price drops.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virob View Post
Being a little more cynical, it could also mean that the less complex V bracing is cheaper to produce resulting in higher profit margins on all their guitars.
This seems the most likely "truth", imo.

I mean, really... this entire "thing" could have started out like "how can we get the Taylor sound, cheaper? Andy: V-bracing!! I can make a V-braced guitar that sounds almost the same as a Taylor, but cheaper. Bob: great!! We'll say it's "better" (I guess it does technically resonate more, for better or worse is all opinion) and transistion the entire line!"

Cynical? Maybe. But it's business. (and for the record, while I don't own a Taylor, I do own a copy -Walden-, I am a big fab of Bob, absolutely loved his book. I would never suggest Bob is trying to "fool" anyone, that's not my intent.)

I mean, think about it: at some point, Martin moved away from the "pre-war" forward-shifted X-bracing, right? Why? Most likely due to costs. And still built great sounding guitars. But at some point, people wanted the PW bracing again, so it's making a comeback. While builders are artists in a way, crafting SOUND, it is still a business, and has to stay profitable in a way that keeps the business thriving. Alot of people love the Martin NON-PW bracing. It all sounds good. There is no "better", which does make Taylor's marketing campaign a bit... off-putting. To me, anyway.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn

Last edited by ruger9; 07-03-2018 at 05:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion