The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Default New to electric for worship / silent stage - advice?

Hi all,

I've just picked up a hollow body electric (Ibanez AG95) with the idea of using it for church worship playing.

The only amp I own is a Loudbox Mini. It sounds great as a "clean" amp.

Ideas on what I should use as a rig for church? We use a silent stage and in-ear monitors, so mic'ing an amp is not an option.

I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-01-2018, 07:12 PM

Some kind of multi-fx unit. I just got a Boss GT-8 and could see using something similar. Line 6 has some good stuff too.

Another route is a pedal board with a DI out. My large pedal board has a tube-pre and I've used it on "silent stages" with great results.

Peavey has a cool mini Classic 20 with simulated cab XLR Xlr outs.

Lots of ways to go, largely depends on your budget and the tone you're after.

If you go the pedal board route, you'll definitely want a volume pedal. Many of the better multi-fx units have a volume pedal as well.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Some kind of multi-fx unit. I just got a Boss GT-8 and could see using something similar. Line 6 has some good stuff too.

Another route is a pedal board with a DI out. My large pedal board has a tube-pre and I've used it on "silent stages" with great results.

Peavey has a cool mini Classic 20 with simulated cab XLR Xlr outs.

Lots of ways to go, largely depends on your budget and the tone you're after.

If you go the pedal board route, you'll definitely want a volume pedal. Many of the better multi-fx units have a volume pedal as well.
Thanks for your thoughts. Would a Baggs PARA DI work as a DI out for electric? I have one of those for my acoustic.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_bc View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Would a Baggs PARA DI work as a DI out for electric? I have one of those for my acoustic.
Funny you mention that. Yeah it actually would. I have one on my big pedal board. Rather than powering it off a 9v battery, my tube pre- has phantom power which I use to run the Para DI. It's nice to have the tone shaping on tap.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Funny you mention that. Yeah it actually would. I have one on my big pedal board. Rather than powering it off a 9v battery, my tube pre- has phantom power which I use to run the Para DI. It's nice to have the tone shaping on tap.
Perfect. I don't think I'll need a large number of pedals, so this looks like the cheapest route.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 AM

I know they’re not in the “budget” category but the Line 6 Helix has been the most important piece of gear I’ve ever owned. And I had the PODs going back 15 years. The Helix is on a whole other level and the user interface is dead simple. I’ve owned the Helix for about 2 years now and have since sold off literally every single pedal and tube amp I had (about $5K worth of gear). The Helix has made me a 100% digital convert.

I play lead electric at a church of 1500-2000 and we’ve gone to the Helix for me and rhythm electric player. Totally silent stage (except for drums) with IEMs. The tones and flexibility we get out of the Helix are simply stellar. They seem to be taking over the P&W genre. If you can swing a Helix financially, I’d STRONGLY recommend it.

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanks for those thoughts. I've been looking at PODs and thinking that might be an option. 2K for a unit is not what I'm looking to spend right now, but it could be something to look at in the future.

I've played acoustic for years, and right now I'm playing electric as if it was an acoustic. I don't even know what I don't know - what I might need, what sounds might be good for church, etc. There's a learning curve ahead of me. I'm thinking a pedal or two and a DI to start, with mostly keeping it clean for now.

Our church (we have around 300 people) doesn't have anyone playing electric at the moment, nor have we had anyone for the past several years (except for visiting groups once or twice). So part of this is going to be navigating what the congregation feels ok with. They're good with mandolin/octave mandolin (I brought that in) so change is ok. We have a mix of ages and most everyone is ok with new ideas. We have a number of different worship leaders (volunteers) with quite different styles, and they have a lot of freedom to do what they prefer. That said, we did just hire a new worship director so that might change things too.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_bc View Post
Thanks for those thoughts. I've been looking at PODs and thinking that might be an option. 2K for a unit is not what I'm looking to spend right now, but it could be something to look at in the future.

I've played acoustic for years, and right now I'm playing electric as if it was an acoustic. I don't even know what I don't know - what I might need, what sounds might be good for church, etc. There's a learning curve ahead of me. I'm thinking a pedal or two and a DI to start, with mostly keeping it clean for now.

Our church (we have around 300 people) doesn't have anyone playing electric at the moment, nor have we had anyone for the past several years (except for visiting groups once or twice). So part of this is going to be navigating what the congregation feels ok with. They're good with mandolin/octave mandolin (I brought that in) so change is ok. We have a mix of ages and most everyone is ok with new ideas. We have a number of different worship leaders (volunteers) with quite different styles, and they have a lot of freedom to do what they prefer. That said, we did just hire a new worship director so that might change things too.
A Helix can be had used for $1K, less if you go with the LT (same guts, just no scribble strips). It will save you money in the long run. Trust me.

My advice for someone transitioning from acoustic would be to learn chord inversions first. Don’t just strive to play cowboy chords with a capo. Learn how to use mainly the first through fourth strings and climb the neck to get out of the way of the acoustic, keys, and bass. Jeffrey Kunde of Jesus Culture/Bethel has a great book on this. Think: less is more.

Once you have the chord inversions, you can figure out which ones sound best in different contexts and use them accordingly—with copious amounts of drive, delay, and reverb—to really serve the song.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 07-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Default amp modeler peddle

I also took up electric guitar after a lifetime of acoustic in order to fill a slot in the praise band at church. It's a steep learning curve. On an electric guitar forum I read, a lot of players were getting good results using the Joyo American Sound peddle at the end of their chain on the peddle board and then run straight into the PA from it. There are a number of amp sim units out there in the $200-600 range that have effects built into them which can get you started without buying individual peddles and a board, power supply, etc. Also, over on the TDPRI forum there is a sub-forum for worship service players. There are a lot of good threads on silent stage, peddle boards, effects there. Lots to learn, praise on!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've used Line6 PODs for years for church, live performance and studio sessions. I'm currently using a Line6 PODHD500X which has played a lot of recording sessions over the last five years. If you aren't driven by the "latest and greatest" You can pick up one used in the range of $230-$400. The Helix is becoming the new gold standard but as you mentioned, it is spendy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM

Thanks guys, for all of your help and advice. Much appreciated. If anything else comes to mind that you think a newbie should know don't hesitate to chime in again.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I lead as well. And we have a large team where stage “real estate” and noise are constantly being evaluated by me.

I also used to primarily be acoustic only. Until about 5 years ago when I made the switch to primarily electric.

Ive tried numerous combinations but have moved to a VOX MV50 Clean head. It fits on my pedal board (only a bit bigger than a pedal...I know, crazy right!?!).

It can be lined out to the PA (which is how I run mine), as well as running a speaker out to a small cab if needed (and you can run both simultaneously if desired). But, since you prefer ie monitors you could simply line out to the board. It has a built in attenuator, and can run from 14.5 to 50 Watts.

I run it at the end of my pedal board.

Pedal wise I used to use a compressor. After a few years I had issues with it, removed it, and haven’t missed it.

I have a TC Electronics floor tuner, Ernie Ball VP Jr. volume pedal, mxr eq, jhs archer ikon (transparent overdrive), mxr analog chorus, mxr carbon copy (delay), electro harmonix holy grail (reverb), then the Vox head.

I also have run my earthquakes devices dispatch master (delay and reverb in one pedal) with my carbon copy simultaneously for swells, ambient movements.

While you may not need or want all of those pedals, the real key to ME is this Vox head. They’re under $200 and sound AMAZING.

I’ve run it through my 2 1-12 Egnater cabs and at 11 o clock it’ll peel paint off the walls.

A viable “tube” head solution that makes a great “fly rig. I’ve tried the radial JDX direct drive amp emulator/di. I didn’t care for it personally. The Vox is an actual amp head, not an emulator.

Hope this helps.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 07-03-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Thanks for those thoughts, Tony! The VOX looks like an interesting option...

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 07-04-2018, 06:00 AM

The electric guitarist at our church uses a Boss ME-70 pedalboard , which goes used for around $150. I'm tempted to grab one because it doesn't need any programming experience (can be used as a set of individual pedal effects) and because the Boss chorus is heavenly...

I'm currently using an old Line 6 POD XT Live...
Old 07-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Default New to electric for worship / silent stage - advice?

You can also use a multieffects box with your acoustic. If you get one with XLR out, then you have a built in DI. Just turn off amp modeling or use the natural Pre-amp model, add a little compression, EQ and reverb or chorus as additional effects. The EQ options in a multieffects are typically more powerful and let you zoom in on specific frequencies. I used a Line6 Pod X3 Live years ago with fantastic results. I had my acoustic patches and electric patches. I’m not leading any more, but if I did I would go with the Helix or Helix LT. I also advise that you take whatever rig you have, go sit down at the front of house mixing desk and plug in there so you can hear how your guitar sounds. If you are wireless, even better to walk around the room and hear what the people will hear - adjust - repeat. Just remember less is more when EQing acoustic. Typically you will reduce some frequencies slightly vs adding. But let your ears guide, it has to cut through the mix but still sound natural.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars