The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
Hey all,

Actually, while we would love to guarantee against breakage, they are made from crystal glass, and are unfortunately not indestructible! However, we do guarantee our double-tempered surface - used on nails, it will never wear out; if it does, we will replace it.

Cheers,
David
I've had my Leighton Dennys at least 15 years and there's no sign of wear on them and yours is the same glass, isn't it. that''s how I know it's very hardwearing.

Concerning the breaking: would it be an idea to offer a rigid case. Just a simple two part plastic flat job, where you pop the top half off. I know it wouldn't fit in the cd case but you could do a branded one for sale separately if somebody wants one. I'd buy one.

Last edited by stringjunky; 07-13-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhan View Post
I have 2, one I keep in my backpack/work bag and the other is in the medicine box. Funny thing is I don't even play finger style, I just like to keep my nails in good shape.

Great product, leaves a really nice smooth edge on the nails.

akhan
As Sponsors, David and I have known each other about three years. I have no vested interest, but he makes some awesome products with incredible fit and finish, and I'm always happy to see folks who recognize that.

Bravo, Dave,

Scott
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I've taken to storing my Wolfram files in a travel case designed for a toothbrush. Then I can throw it in a case or a bag and not worry about any breakage from something hitting against it. I have also put them in the bottom of my eyeglass case and that works well too. I love how I can keep the surface clean and after it dries, it is as good as new.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

On the hard case - I'm working on something... watch this space!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Ok, I've ordered one. We'll see how long it lasts (until one of my loved ones steals it).
Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
David
Cool. It's a lifetime product which, I think, needs a lifetime case to save it against life's little accidents.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
David
David, please do....I really don't need an excuse to buy a backup but this would make it to tempting.
BTW : Best dang file I have ever seen or used....Nuff said on that
Mrbirdog
Old 07-13-2018, 06:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
David, please do....I really don't need an excuse to buy a backup but this would make it to tempting.
BTW : Best dang file I have ever seen or used....Nuff said on that
Mrbirdog
Hey Mrbirdog,

Glad you're so happy with your file!

Just to mention - I'll always look after my existing customers. Any hard case options we come out with in the future will also be available to purchase on its own.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Hey Mrbirdog,

Glad you're so happy with your file!

Just to mention - I'll always look after my existing customers. Any hard case options we come out with in the future will also be available to purchase on its own.

Cheers,
David

David:
Let us know on here if you can when available and I will order another with the hard shell case.
The Hard case would make it more secure but you still have to be careful and not drop it. Lately I have been touching up my nails over the sink with a little water running, that really works great and when finished I just rinse it off.
Thanks for making a great product !!
Mrbirdog
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:

Cheers,

David

Ah, good to know.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I have files in now from both Wolfram and Strings By Mail, so let me give you a quick comparison.

Both the Wolfram and Strings By Mail files say they are made in the Czech Republic of Bohemian glass/crystal. Both are excellent products with some differences in what they offer. You should do very well with either (or both) depending on your needs.

Strings By Mail:

The 5 inch File and Buffing Kit arrived in about 3 days along with some strings. We are both in the U.S. The file impressed me in how quickly it shaped my nails. You need only apply very little pressure once you have them near the shape you want. The file feels a little thin and like I needed to be careful with it. It comes with a little felt-like slip in pouch for the file and a larger felt cinch bag for the entire kit.

I love the buffing papers and dense foam block for the tops of my nails to take down the ridges and give them a smooth surface. That is a terrific addition to finish the entire nail not just the edge. They are a good size and variety of grits with the smoothest almost like a piece of leather. However going all the way to the finest paper makes the surface too shiny/glossy for my tastes. I'll probably stop about about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way next time and see how that looks.

Wolfram:

The 5 inch Pro and 3 inch Nano arrived in a week. Very good considering the U.K. to U.S. shipping involved. They each come in a jewel case with a nice little fold out instruction booklet with advice on shaping your nails. They also have a felt-like slip-in pouch. Other than for initial shipping, the jewel case is not something I will use again. The biggest obvious difference is that the Wolfram files are much thicker than the SBM file and feel more substantial in the hand. My eyes are not great but I'd say about 1/32 thicker. if the SBM is about 2-3/32 then the Wolfram is 3-4/32 thick.

I love the two different textures. I find the smooth to be really ideal since I had already shaped my nails. Its smoother than the SBM file, and I will be using this most of the time as it gives me more control. The rough side is about the same or maybe even slightly more aggressive than the SBM file. My one request would be to mark the Smooth vs. Rough sides as my fingers can't tell quickly and I can see myself picking the rough side by mistake. I'll probably use a Sharpie or piece of tape to do that.

Last edited by HeyMikey; 07-17-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Ok, I have files in now from both Wolfram and Strings By Mail, so let me give you a quick comparison.

Both the Wolfram and Strings By Mail files say they are made in the Czech Republic of Bohemian glass/crystal. Both are excellent products with some differences in what they offer. You should do very well with either (or both) depending on your needs.

Strings By Mail:

The 5 inch File and Buffing Kit arrived in about 3 days along with some strings. We are both in the U.S. The file impressed me in how quickly it shaped my nails. You need only apply very little pressure once you have them near the shape you want. The file feels a little thin and like I needed to be careful with it. It comes with a little felt-like slip in pouch for the file and a larger felt cinch bag for the entire kit.

I love the buffing papers and dense foam block for the tops of my nails to take down the ridges and give them a smooth surface. That is a terrific addition to finish the entire nail not just the edge. They are a good size and variety of grits with the smoothest almost like a piece of leather. However going all the way to the finest paper makes the surface too shiny/glossy for my tastes. I'll probably stop about about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way next time and see how that looks.

Wolfram:

The 5 inch Pro and 3 inch Nano arrived in a week. Very good considering the U.K. to U.S. shipping involved. They each come in a jewel case with a nice little fold out instruction booklet with advice on shaping your nails. They also have a felt-like slip-in pouch. Other than for initial shipping, the jewel case is not something I will use again. The biggest obvious difference is that the Wolfram files are much thicker than the SBM file and feel more substantial in the hand. My eyes are not great but I'd say about 1/32 thicker. if the SBM is about 2-3/32 then the Wolfram is 3-4/32 thick.

I love the two different textures. I find the smooth to be really ideal since I had already shaped my nails. Its smoother than the SBM file, and I will be using this most of the time as it gives me more control. The rough side is about the same or maybe even slightly more aggressive than the SBM file. My one request would be to mark the Smooth vs. Rough sides as my fingers can't tell quickly and I can see myself picking the rough side by mistake. I'll probably use a Sharpie or piece of tape to do that.

Look at the logo on the handle end and note which grade is which by seeing it the right way around or not.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Yep. The smooth/fine grit is on the Wolfram Logo side. I put a small Sharpie mark on it. What makes it a little confusing is that the logo shows through to the other side since the glass isn’t frosted. Without my glasses on it’s just a blur so I need to check closely to make sure it’s on top. Also oddly the Pro points left with the logo properly oriented on top, but the Nano points right. Another thing to double check.

Both great files however. The Nano is a perfect travel or guitar case size. It’s in my briefcase for at work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion