The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 AM

Default You Can Teach An Old Dog New Tricks

I would like to start with a big Thank You for the various people who have encouraged, educated and advised me via these forums in recent months. As a gentleman over half a century I was a late starter to all things guitar or musically based and started as a complete novice less than two years ago. The experience has been a very positive one and had a knock on effect on lots of areas of my life. My main point is to anybody out there who is viewing this forum as a novice give it a go it does not have to cost a fortune. Remember you don't have to have a plan or be any good as long as you enjoy it. I have just ordered my second guitar a Seagull S6 Original 2018 and feel like a child on Christmas Eve once again.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolefthands View Post
I would like to start with a big Thank You for the various people who have encouraged, educated and advised me via these forums in recent months. As a gentleman over half a century I was a late starter to all things guitar or musically based and started as a complete novice less than two years ago. The experience has been a very positive one and had a knock on effect on lots of areas of my life. My main point is to anybody out there who is viewing this forum as a novice give it a go it does not have to cost a fortune. Remember you don't have to have a plan or be any good as long as you enjoy it. I have just ordered my second guitar a Seagull S6 Original 2018 and feel like a child on Christmas Eve once again.
Great post. AGF is definitely a welcoming environment. My story is similar to yours and I have also felt equally welcomed.

Congratulations on the new purchase.

George
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Yup! As long as you are enjoying it. And sometimes even if you're inflicting a bit of pain on the others around!
I've been at it about 4 years now. Long ways to go, but the pleasure and satisfaction it has given me in playing and even now, writing and playing some spoof songs can't be matched by anything.... excepting maybe my grandkids.
Play on!
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM

The Godin company in Canada (Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Godin) make really nice guitars for an affordable price. Enjoy!

I have been back at it for 5 years now. Old dogs indeed.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM

It is amazing, given the diversity of opinions around here on every subject under the sun, that the overall effect is one of enlightenment. People who hang around generally gain some insight into the general acoustic guitar experience. It is a good place to learn, although I will say, patience is rewarding.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:19 PM

Depends on the dog, and the teacher. But generally, yes.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

The depth of knowledge here is excellent. The forum is like a living encyclopedia.

Welcome to the forum too and don't forget when you get your newest guitar to give us what we call a NGD (new guitar day) thread with pictures and a review of the guitar. It's entertaining and enlightening for us and at the same time helps build the database aspect of the forum for potential buyers of the same guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion