The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 PM

Okay, I came back to this thread because I discovered something and I realized it was worth mentioning before this thread dies into the abyss.

I always noticed that the Sunnaudio DI and Tone Driver have simple Bass and Treble controls but what is unique about them is that if you turn either dial all the way up or down, it never produces a bad sound. Maybe Marc can explain that in tech terms. Most EQ I have ever used is going to sound bad when used at it’s extremes. Here is what I did:

I turned both the bass and the treble all of they way up. Sounded great. Strummed or fingerstyle, there was nothing that came across as shrill in the high end and nothing boomy in the bass end. Full and very useable. I wouldn’t use it if a bass player was present.

The other setting I used was turning the bass all of the way down and leaving the treble flat. It was not lacking bass. The midrange was able to shine. This was another usable setting that never sounded thin and weak or jangly.

I am reminded of all the times I was using drastic EQ cuts to tame out of control frequencies with various pickups to make them work well. I am not sure how the Sunnaudio would work for
someone who needed severe “fixes” to overcome an out of balance pickup signal. The Dazzo does sound great set flat in all my guitars set flat. Small changes are all that are needed for things to pop just right.

I hope all that made sense.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-17-2018, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Simple and effective

Thanks VanceBo for pointing out the EQ of the ToneDriver and Stage DI.

Marc is adamant on simplicity and effectiveness, control the troublesome while preserving the good. Take away complexity so a player can focus on playing rather than the setting up and 'finding that knob' on a dark stage.

Arriving at this EQ was not at all simple. There were endless rounds of trying different guitars, pickups, playing styles, speakers, cables and amps. Changes were many.

Bass - The bass control is tuned to both enhance subsonic lows when a properly setup subwoofer is used, or it can be used to clear up muddiness on a boomy stage. When Dazzoman plays live, his percussive style eats up 1500-2000 watts into a pair of 18" subs. He generates a signal with huge dynamic range

Treble - The treble is tuned to bring out the harmonics or can be used to tame a bright sounding stage.

Sunny
Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

I was playing with this just last night. I finally had Dazzos put in my remaining guitar, my M36, and I was playing with the tone controls using headphones. Now I've had my Stage DI for a month or so, maybe two, and I can't remember touching the tone knobs.

My M 36 through cans were bassier than I was used to, my other guitars being much drier. I think it was just rosewood resonance being the difference. Anyway, rolling off two clicks of bass cleaned things right up. At this point I think of Dazzo/ Sunnaudio as being one system that really does not need much EQ at all.

My M 36 got the wood housing 60s. It's like getting a new guitar as I never took it out to play while it had a Lyric in it. It's been left home since I had my first Dazzo set put in another guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-05-2018, 02:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Sunnaudio Pre-Di Harmonic Overdrive is comming soon!

Hi Folks,

We have an exciting new product coming out soon!
We introduce the new Rabbithead Preamp

What is the Rabbithead?

Its an all analog Acoustic-Electric Preamp Multi Tool that will take your acoustic pickup with or without a preamp in most cases and can be injected with harmonics that sound like a nice transformer with our mix control.

This is the small version of our upcoming rack mount which will have many more features, but still packs a LOT of options for its size.

The Rabbithead adds a magnetic sound to a piezzo pickup or smooth out a magnetic pickup as well.
With an electric bass signal, it adds growl and punch while retaining the sonic clarity of the original tone depending on how much harmonic overdrive you mix in.

This is also a stand alone amp-like sounding overdrive that goes from clean - as in really clean with no over driven harmonics. As you turn up the drive you get more juicy harmonics that can be blended into the clean DI path for more warmth on acoustics and bass as well.

Both drives can be set independently and switchable between both for different drive settings. Drive 2 has the option of high gain "Rabid" mode for that griszzly cranked amp sound.
This is dialed in for electric guitars but can be used and blended in the main DI mix mode and even used with acoustic with the Speaker Sim.

The optional speaker sim provides a really nice tool for direct electric guitar recordings or help a bright amp.
No DSP for any stages of the Rabbithead.

This is a great tool for gigging musicians or home recording. Fits in a standard Hammond sized space on your pedal board

2nd output with optional speaker sim is a balanced out and can be run straight to a PA or mixing board.

More info to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4344.jpg (35.5 KB, 198 views)
Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey Marc-

We have had a rash of electric guitars show up at Cameron's open mic lately. We plug them into our Blender DI. Usually the player brings a dirt pedal. This has been working very well. We also ran an acoustic bass through it, witch needed EQ at the board, but worked well when that was dialed in. Would love to hear the new box.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 PM

Wow! Just in time. I just bought my first electric guitar. A Michael Kelly. Would that be all I need other than my choices of effects pedals? What kind of amp/speaker would I plug into?
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 09-09-2018, 02:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on your first electric guitar Vance!

The rabbithead plugs right into a PA, powered PA speaker - optimally with the speaker sim engaged, or any power amp with a speaker. For more traditional results, a nice tube amp works great especially for soaring leads and grizzled amp tones without having to turn up the amp much.
We will have clips coming soon featuring acoustic guitar, bass and electric guitar sounds
We tested the rabbithead through all those escenarios and has been extremely musical and versatile.

This unit is designed with recording in mind, so we spent countless hours developing this pedal as a direct recording preamp into an interface or mixing board.

This can be run just like our Blender DI Brick mentioned for the open mic but with a much broader array of tones and drive mixing as mentioned.

We can’t wait to share more as we start rolling these out.

Marc
Old 09-11-2018, 05:43 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Thanks VanceBo for pointing out the EQ of the ToneDriver and Stage DI.

Marc is adamant on simplicity and effectiveness, control the troublesome while preserving the good. Take away complexity so a player can focus on playing rather than the setting up and 'finding that knob' on a dark stage.

Arriving at this EQ was not at all simple. There were endless rounds of trying different guitars, pickups, playing styles, speakers, cables and amps. Changes were many.

Bass - The bass control is tuned to both enhance subsonic lows when a properly setup subwoofer is used, or it can be used to clear up muddiness on a boomy stage. When Dazzoman plays live, his percussive style eats up 1500-2000 watts into a pair of 18" subs. He generates a signal with huge dynamic range

Treble - The treble is tuned to bring out the harmonics or can be used to tame a bright sounding stage.

Sunny

Thanks for the explanation.

I have a question, if I may: do you plan on crafting a dual channel preamp for those who have a pickup and a mic wired in stereo to a trs jack? That would be extremely appealing (I'm a bit biased toward it, I admit)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi ezellohar,
We can make custom pedals specifically for your needs.
We are planning on a larger two channel stereo production pedal (closer to our rack mount version) with XLR out(s), blend-able between both channels. Feel free to email us on what you have in mind.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezellohar View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I have a question, if I may: do you plan on crafting a dual channel preamp for those who have a pickup and a mic wired in stereo to a trs jack? That would be extremely appealing (I'm a bit biased toward it, I admit)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Shout Out to Sunnaudio!!

Stage DI + Dazzo pickup combo sale $50 off!

We are now selling our Stage Di with Dazzo pickups as a combo set - per many requests!

Email us for the AGF discount code and you’ll get $50 off the sale price + includes end pin jack.

Cheers
Marc

Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Winter Guitar Show - Rabbithead exclusive

Hi Foks, please chime in and give us some feedback on your Stage Di experiences here on the 'shoutout to sunnaudio' thread!

We are gearing up and doing our last round of tweaks on our new rabbithead pedal for the upcoming Winter Gutiar Show in Marin, CA.

http://www.amigoguitarshows.com/baywinter/

We will have a booth with samples of the rabbihead pedal to tryout via headphones, PA Speaker and tube amp. There will be a larger introductory discount for the show. We are not sure how many we'll have available to purchase and take, but we will be taking orders!

In summary, the RH-1 is ready for:
Acoustic guitar (piezo or magnetic) with more versatility than our Stage DI, electric guitar with two overdrives + an extra gain stage, bass guitar w/option of extra bass response mod, electric violin, ukilele, etc... all which can be blended via our mix control to give more growl to your bass, meat or sparkle to your electric guitar or existing pedals and smooth out your instrument tone!

https://sunnaudio.com/the-banquet-is-ready-for-all/

Last edited by sunnaudio; 12-06-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: details

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification