The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-25-2018, 05:56 AM

Default 1940 Rickenbacher Lap Steel

Just picked this guy up this weekend. Man this little thing SINGS!

This is my first 22.5" lap steel and I'd thought the shorter scale may present some challenges with intonation, but it's actually much easier to play - especially when slanting the bar.

I've got it tuned to Bb diminished (C# E G Bb C D low to high) which is my favorite tuning these days. It's such a great tuning for slow solo lap steel arrangements (e.g. Over The Rainbow, When You Wish Upon A Star, etc.). My 1948 Gibson BR-9 is tuned to C6 (the tuning for Sleepwalk, vintage Hank Williams, and Texas Swing), my 1938 Oahu is tuned to B11 (great tuning for Hawaiian music), and my 1960 Supro to A6 (another great country tuning).

Last edited by 815C; 06-25-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You dog! I've wanted a long-pickup Rickenbacher for years. It's just a little spendy for a side issue, if you know what I mean. Your plates look great. Congrats!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Yeah Bob, I got a really good deal on this one, and I'm spending quite a bit of time on lap steels these days, so it seemed like a Godsend.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Yeah Bob, I got a really good deal on this one, and I'm spending quite a bit of time on lap steels these days, so it seemed like a Godsend.
It's funny how the gigs and sessions come and go isn't it? For a while there it seemed like 1/3-1/2 of my gigs and sessions were lap steel and now it has dried up a bit.

I'll miss it when it comes around again, no?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments