The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-16-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Furch GN4 cedar

I am looking for as close to a genuine "classical" tone as possible while staying at or under 1 & 13/16 nut width and NO THIN BODY.

Furch GN4 cedar is top contender. Anyone have experience/opinions on that? I don't want to pay up for a custom build. This is to play basic classical tunes like Bach air on a g string, moonlight sonata, Melancolia etc...

I love the rich deep bass of classical guitars and how thick the trebles sound (obviously not the same sustain as steel).

Other suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 AM

I would recommend you go to your nearest dealer and try a Cordoba C9 crossover. 48mm nut is a bit more than you have stated but you can learn a lot by trying. This guitar has a full classical body but with a crossover neck. It is much cheaper than the guitar you are looking at but probably sounds as good. Go and try and see if those few extra mm matter to you or not. While you are there, pick up a full classical and get a feel for the neck. Play for a while to get the feel.

I went from steel to nylon string. I also thought I'd want a crossover. I actually had one for 2 months before I went back and bought a full flamenco guitar and much prefer it for all styles of songs. I think you'll like the extra space, especially as you want to play classical pieces. If I hadn't been so impulsive, I could have skipped buying a crossover.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I would recommend you go to your nearest dealer and try a Cordoba C9 crossover. 48mm nut is a bit more than you have stated but you can learn a lot by trying. This guitar has a full classical body but with a crossover neck. It is much cheaper than the guitar you are looking at but probably sounds as good. Go and try and see if those few extra mm matter to you or not. While you are there, pick up a full classical and get a feel for the neck. Play for a while to get the feel.

I went from steel to nylon string. I also thought I'd want a crossover. I actually had one for 2 months before I went back and bought a full flamenco guitar and much prefer it for all styles of songs. I think you'll like the extra space, especially as you want to play classical pieces. If I hadn't been so impulsive, I could have skipped buying a crossover.
Thank you for that recommendation. I actually did play that guitar and really like the tone. However the neck still is just too much of a Longshot. I'm trying not to confuse my hands with too many different sized guitars. I'm going to continue to focus on steel string but just wanted a nylon option.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 AM

In that case you could also look at the Rainsong Parlor Nylon, I know that it has the nut width you are after, and is cheaper. If you live in the UK, then there is a dealer in the North West.

I think Takamine do some crossovers that have about a 47mm nut width.

Apart from that, I'm not much help.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical