The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-10-2022, 04:19 PM

Default Bacchus LP, heavyest chunk of hog ever.

I just picked up a Bacchus brand Les Paul Jr. I'd never run accross this brand before but mine is made in Japan, is very well made with good componants, and the price seemed fair. So far I'm liking this this guitar alot, it sounds awesome but holly crap... its got to be the heavyest guitar I've ever run across.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:52 AM

I've read some great things about Bacchus in the past. That said, I don't know if it's all their models/guitars or not and I've never played one before to form my own impression. The MIJ Les Pauls have a great reputation though.

Where did you find it?

... and Congrats!
Old 06-11-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've read some great things about Bacchus in the past. That said, I don't know if it's all their models/guitars or not and I've never played one before to form my own impression. The MIJ Les Pauls have a great reputation though.

Where did you find it?

... and Congrats!
In Edmonton, ironicaly at a store called the Acoustic Music Shop. It was in as-new condition with a case for about the price of a new mid-range Epiphone, playing it back to back with some comparable Gibsons the quality was at least on par IMO.

Apologies for the misinformation, its not a Jr its a special, with two P-90's. Quite versitile, clean its got plenty of spank and sparkle, can do surf or country no problem. Overdriven and EQ'd properly you can get it into Metal teritory.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
...it's a Special, with two P-90's. Quite versatile, clean it's got plenty of spank and sparkle, can do surf or country no problem...
Something I discovered when I bought my 2011 limited-edition Gibson Studio '60s Tribute goldtop/P-90 - although I use it as my straight-up rock axe (my 3-PU Gretsch 5622 covers just about everything else) it's the best surf guitar I've ever played...
Old 06-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Something I discovered when I bought my 2011 limited-edition Gibson Studio '60s Tribute goldtop/P-90 - although I use it as my straight-up rock axe (my 3-PU Gretsch 5622 covers just about everything else) it's the best surf guitar I've ever played...
Yeah, my amp is a Katana 100. With that guitar/ amp combination I can dial in just about any sound you could want.

I've always found the over driven tone of p-90's a tad gritty for some things, the Katana has a "Boost" thing, that lets me blend in any number of the Boss distortion pedal tones, this can fill in and smooth out the grittyness nicely for a chunkyer tone.

I've honestly never really liked using distortion pedals but maybe the trick is to blend just a little bit with the amp's OD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars