The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 10:45 AM

Congrats on your Alvarez! It has such an amazing top. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2022, 02:05 PM

I love my mahogany Alvarez parlor, I'm tempted to upgrade to the all solid wood Alvarez. Congrats!
Old 06-30-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
So you're presently Yamaha Man, previously Martin Maniac. Does this mean you'll be changing your username to Alvarez aficionado?
Well, given your list of guitars in your sig, and no Yamaha, you definitely have to change your handle again. A bit awkward to be known as all of them, though.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:10 PM

yes, I sold my Yamaha to buy a Trailblazer to drive around with, my old car's frame broke and I needed wheels fast....yes the Alvarez is a very nice replacement for it, and at a cheaper price too. The Yamaha served me well and I was sorry to see it go. However I'm thrilled with the new Alvarez, it's a very fine guitar. I was looking at a Martin D-15M, but it was just too much money and didn't have a pickup in it. The Alvarez saved me a small fortune.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 07-04-2022, 07:20 PM

here's another sound sample of the new Alvarez guitar......https://waynekraft.bandcamp.com/track/angie-sample
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-08-2022, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Man View Post
What a stunning instrument. Congratulations on your new purchase!

Behind Blue Eyes is unquestionably one of my favorite Who songs ever recorded. One of the most amazing rock ballads of all time, and brilliant acoustic work by Pete Townsend.

Really took me down Memory Lane.

I've been playing an Alverez AD60CK Koa top (some people say it's Dao) since 2001 and it's really served me well. Many years ago, I had Joel Grant, of Grant Guitars give it a great setup (primarily for fingerstyle work - low action, very easy to play, but still drop tuning friendly, without buzzing), and it just plays like a dream.

After the System 600 pickup system gave out, I replaced it with an L.R. Baggs iBeam Active and couldn't be happier with the recorded sound of that instrument. I also had Chrome Grovers installed. Smooth-as-glass tuning.

Here's a sample an acoustic intro I recorded for a cover song recording project I did with a friend (who later recorded vocals and strummed rhythm guitar).

https://app.box.com/s/sznsg9en5c0d8b2srgskq53p1jewuibc

I used a Walrus Deep Six v3 compressor, Wampler EQuator Quasi-parametric EQ, Source Audio Nemesis delay (probably should have used an analog setting, rather than digital, so the panning trails would be a little less prominent - hindsight), a Meris Mercury 7 Reverb for this track. The tail end of that went straight into the interface, then my computer (effects were committed to the recording).

Here is a more straight-forward and much older recording of a piece I wrote for someone with whom I was in a relationship. I just plugged straight into my mixer and used an inexpensive Behringer rack reverb and an old RANE MQ302 EQ, and an SPL Vitalizer - nothing else.

https://soundcloud.com/david57strat/a-waltz-for-nora

I never really mastered this recording. When I recorded it, I was playing through headphones and I EQed it to sound good through those, and it was recorded straight to a CD recorder (I didnt' really have any other recording tools, at the time), then a friend later converted that and other original songs of mine to .mp3 format, and some of those songs were later imported to my computer, with no alterations made to them, since. So, if it sounds kind of bass-heavy, that's why. Apologies :|.

The iBeam is the closest thing I've ever had to a good microphone. Not great for live/stage/high volume work in a band, as it tends to feed back easily (since it's essentially a contact microphone mounted under/close to the bridge, inside the guitar), but perfect for solo/recording applications.

I mentioned all this (hopefully without taking too far a left turn from this thread) because I read your other thread about the Rane EQ and compressor you recently purchased, and searched your thread history to find out more about the guitar you used to record your samples, and I think you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of those two pieces and this Alvarez, for your recordings, once you've had a chance to experiment with the settings on those rack units. They're nice pieces, and will go a long way towards refining your recorded tone (or even live, if you choose to gig with them - although good quality compact pedals on a small board would do the job just as well, in a more travel friendly configuration). Combined with that gorgeous Mahogany guitar - slice of Heaven, for sure.

I hope you enjoy your new Alvarez for many years!

Last edited by david57strat; 08-08-2022 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:30 AM

Thank you for your lengthy post, and sound clips, It means a lot to me. I bought the Rane equipment years ago and it's been in storage all this time. I decided i needed a compressor for my erratic guitar playing, and the eq just happened to be there, so I thought why not ..??????? I set everything flat and was pleasantly surprised by the sounds I got. I couldn't be happier with my guitar and amp rig now !!!!!!

Please excuse the sloppy guitar playing in this next clip, but listen to the sounds of the guitar thru my rig....

https://waynekraft.bandcamp.com/track/angie-2
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 08-09-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats on your new Alvarez! Enjoy.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion