The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2023, 03:34 PM

Default Who plays Martin 0015M?

Hi, I've been looking at different options for a new guitar for a long while now and weighing up the pros and cons of each. I think I've finally settled on this model. I've read nearly every thread about it but it's always nice to read more. I mostly play Irish/English folk with some country mixed in, and usually just for my own entertainment or occasionally with friends in a session. To those who own this guitar what have you to say for it? What do you mainly use it for? This will be by far the most expensive thing I've ever bought so I want to be sure before committing. The main pros I feel are the nice compact size, the woody tone, the name obviously (I've always wanted a Martin), and that it may compliment my voice better than my current guitar (a spruce topped grand auditorium style).
Old 03-15-2023, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I don’t own mine anymore, but I think it’s a fantastic guitar. I actually think it sounds better strummed than it’s larger 000-15 cousin, and of course it play woody and sweet fingerpicked.

I don’t want to crowd your thread, but if you pm me I’ll send a YouTube of a song I recorded with it.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I have one of these. I was playing it Sunday afternoon and forgot how much I liked its tone as I've been mostly playing my 1993 Gibson Gospel lately. I do like the dry woody kind of sound with the all solid mahogany, and it lends itself to Carter Family songs quite well. As Sal mentioned, it also does lend itself to strumming as well as I was working on the song "If I Had A Hammer" on it.

I know it is easy to say try before you buy, but if you are able to, I would suggest it. My other suggestion is to make sure you get a set-up to your liking with it. When I got mine, I went the extra mile and had it plek'd and set-up before it came my way (I got mine from Sweetwater.)
Old 03-15-2023, 05:50 PM

I'm pretty sure it'll suit me so I'm just posting to hear the last few opinions. In an ideal world I'd love to go to a decent guitar shop and try it out but I'd be tacking on another 500 or so to go stay in the city and try out guitars so not really feasible for me. Some of the old threads have described the stunning tone as boxy, but the videos I've watched the 00 seems to have a much more focused sound that I feel like would cut through well. I play in dadgad a lot too and apparently it takes low tunings very well.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:34 PM

I'll tell you what, I had always disdained small body guitars, but I went to a shop a few months ago hoping to play a 000-15 and it turns out they only had a 00-15. I played that and a bunch of other larger body guitars, and to my extreme surprise, I liked the 00-15 best. There's really something about it.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:18 AM

Thumbs up

I seldom contribute to AGF lately as another hobby has taken more of my time. However, I'd like to add my thoughts on this guitar. I've owned it new since December 2019.

It is feather-weight (3 lbs 6.6 oz) and very resonant once it's played in. It smells great, nice vanilla aroma. Sounds sweet and very balanced with very nice trebles when strummed. I'm mainly a strummer, using my 00-15M to sing at home. Hardwood tops like mahogany compliments singing very well.

Go for it. This is guitar-enablers forum.

If you're keen to read my NGD for my 00-15M, here's the link:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566620
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a 00-15m for eight years or so. It's a custom model from L.A. Guitar Sales but basically a 00-15 with a wider nut, some binding, etc.

IMO, a 00 Martin is the perfect size, its tonally balanced bass to treble and for a 14 fret, the dimensions make it easy to play. Great all around guitar.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCoitir View Post
To those who own this guitar what have you to say for it?

What do I have to say for it?

It's very light and resonant. To me it feels and plays like a much more expensive instrument.

It's beautifully made. Not fancy in the least, but fit and finish speak quality.

It's, somehow, maybe the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. I'm not even really sure why that is, as compared to other small bodied guitars I've owned. It just always feels so low effort.

The sound is addictive. Not as dynamic as, say, a spruce topped guitar. It's a bit more focused in the mid range of tone. But, it's a beautiful sound. I think the long scale helps it to sustain and makes it a little unique in the all mahogany world.

It's a terrific value IMO. Truly a drop dead Martin classic at (to me) an affordable price.

In no time it'll look like your guitar. By that I mean the shiny spots that develop from your hands and forearm on the satin finish will make it yours, without any real damage to the guitar as in dings and scratches. I like this look and I take very good care with my guitars. Let the wear spots come.

Cheers
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Last edited by Corndog; 03-17-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCoitir View Post
Some of the old threads have described the stunning tone as boxy, but the videos I've watched the 00 seems to have a much more focused sound that I feel like would cut through well. I play in dadgad a lot too and apparently it takes low tunings very well.
I don't think the tone is boxy. Oh I've played plenty of blues on it and think it's great for that, but it will also ring and sing. Strings can make a difference for sure.

When I play in DADGAD I tune the strings sharp a half tone.
D#A#D#G#A#D#. This improves sustain and chime and imparts the same tension on the neck, within a couple of pounds, as std tuning. No adjustment required even after a sustained period.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:52 AM

I have a very sim OM-15 from LA Guitars that is fancied up a bit with gloss and binding, and it is my favorite. Just so comfortable to play and it handles strumming very well. Just a great guitar. If you decide to go for it, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 03-17-2023, 11:36 AM

I've had a Martin 00-15 since the turn of the century, a similar model. At the price I paid for it back then, it's been a great deal.

First thing I loved about it: playing blues stuff. Just about the best flat-top acoustic slide guitar I can imagine --worth it just for that. I had (and have) other acoustics that I thought I'd continue to use for my predominant acoustic style which is cross-picking with a flatpick to somewhat emulate the sound of fingerpicking with fingerpicks on the fingers and a thumb pick. But then I found that the 00-15 sounds nice for a lot of that stuff too.

In the last year or so I started to notice something else: it's a fine guitar for strumming too. I have a cedar topped 00 sized guitar that doesn't take to a heavier attack, while the 00-15 barks nicely if you hit it harder.

Sound? It has a something of a midrange bump compared to other guitars. I'm not sure if that's the "boxiness" I hear mentioned a deal-killer when guitars are discussed here (particularly when smaller than dread guitars are the subject). I find that character supplies something I like hearing for some pieces. These things are matter of taste, but I find it a pleasant voice.

I like the simple, utilitarian, looks.

Things I don't like? The 1 11/16 nut width isn't my favorite (again, tastes differ). For some things I capo up to give my old fingers some more room and it sound good capo'ed.

I use Martin Retro strings on it. Other strings will bring out other sounds, but the Retros please me on mine the most.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-18-2023, 08:10 AM

I've owned most of the 15 line and this was my favorite. Sold it in a downsizing spree and wish I'd kept it. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the nut and string spacing was a bit tight. The tone, the smell, and the aesthetic were heavenly though. For a small body mahogany top guitar they are surprisingly versatile. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin 0015m, new guitar