The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: Texas side of the Red River.The Best Country on Earth :]
Default Back/Top wood Question

Who has built a four piece top or back on their guitars? Also, how has it affected
structural integrity? Suggestions? Their is a lot of wood I can get a hold of from various sources with smaller dimensions width wise than ideal, and could possibly
be to my advantage to consider a different route at first
"And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." John 1:16

90' American Strat Customized/W Working Bridge
Soon my own acoustic build.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-...78294772235384 The business my wife and I own. No school like the Old school!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Does five count?

Providing the woods are stable, joinery is solid and thickness is approached the same way as a 2 piece back, there is no negative effect. Why should there be?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 AM

That's encouraging.Not only is it grounds for a kill aesthetic, but I'm assuming you can use lees than ideal dimensions of wood to still put together a great guitar

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-...78294772235384 The business my wife and I own. No school like the Old school!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
Does five count?

Providing the woods are stable, joinery is solid and thickness is approached the same way as a 2 piece back, there is no negative effect. Why should there be?
I think there are some asthetic opportunities for the side and maybe even the back of a guitar that would not have a noticable effect on sound quality. I would be very careful mixing woods for a soundboard The reason there would be an effect is the individual differences in the vibrational characteristics between two pieces of wood would cause a damping effect on both. Think of how they make sound deadening material by using layers of different densities. Even in a single piece of wood like Sitka, sound travels 10 times faster with the grain than against it because of the density difference between the hard and soft grain lines.
This is also a reason to be skeptical of composite braces which structurely may be great, but could also at the same time be very sound deadening.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Four piece tops or backs...only out of necessity (wings on extra wide guitars)
Composite (laminated) bracing...just about all the time. Sound deadening? Ahh, no.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM

I'm with Laurent on this one; it's almost entirely a cosmetic/sales issue if your work is good. I think you'd have to go to some lengths to run into excess damping problems with a multi-piece top, and there would be lots of other issues associated with that, so you're unlikely to get that problem in normal construction. I've made lots of three piece backs, and a few with four, with no trouble so far.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

LMI had some fantastic variegated banded MadRose sets 7+ years ago and all were four piece backs. There were a lot of us who built many successful guitars with that wood. If its joined properly there are no issues. I only wish more of it were available today ;(
Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks for all your input guys, it will help me consider more than a single source of usable wood, ie not just tone wood supply, though my tops will probably all be two piece.I have been digging locally for a good source of back and side wood and finally found a saw mill in the dallas area that sells curly qtr sawn oak and qtr sawn bubinga(the only qtr sawn woods they sell hahah) and while that still is only part of the construction, and who knows if it's the best grade, it's a good start since I can buy board feet of it and can re-saw the more ideal width lumber myself at a buddy's work who wants to help me build as much as I want to start. I just need a bigger bandsaw hahha,shopsmith is only a 6 1/2" clearance,which might work for the four peice backs,but no cigarillo for full size lumber I would want to book-match.Hes been a pretty good spotter for me, as before this endeavor I have had no experience with power tools at all. <<

Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Consider adding riser blocks to your saw to increase the depth of cut. I am not familiar with ShopSmith saws but most 14" C-fame saws can have riser blocks added to them. That's what I did before I could afford my current 18" re-saw.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 AM

There is no downside to 4-piece backs. It often enables a builder to put quartersawn wood all the way across the back, which is a plus. IMO when a builder does extra work in order to use better wood, the price should go up.

Using different woods in a top has always worked very well for me. Any downside to it is an unfounded conjecture. My guitars that have combined spruce and cedar have all sounded extraordinarily good. I think the different top woods have contributed to that.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Man I love those dovetail guitars Howard. I am mezmerized every time I see them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop