The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
If the company was purchased out of bankruptcy Peavy probably has no legal obligations to owners of CA guitars made by the "old" company.
Regarding that, I don't find any evidence that they filed for bankruptcy. There are no "secret" bankruptcies, and I can't turn up any record of bankruptcy for them. Of course it's usually better to make other arrangements before getting to the point of bankruptcy, by recognizing the unsustainable aspect(s) of your business early enough.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Well put Steve.
very common knowledge about the neck angle but never heard of saddle problems. actually for the cargo one of the worst sounding guitars i have played. for a use as a paddle guitar perfect but definately not a bit of wood guitar sound anywhere
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingskunk View Post
When is a problem a problem? ..
When is a size 10D shoe neither too tight nor too loose?
When the foot wearing it is a size 10D.

As the saying goes...if the shoe fits.....it fits.
If not....not.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Quoting Rick Turner from an earlier CA thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Turner View Post
I guess I'm the only one here with both guitar setup experience and a history in designing and manufacturing carbon fiber instrument parts...necks.

A) The complaint about low saddle height is legit. The neck angle is wrong, and kicked back a bit it would still allow the ultra low action that some like as well as offering the option of playing with higher action. This is like only allowing the driver's seat of a car to work for very short to medium short people...and not providing for anyone over 5'10". You can have it all with the right design.

B) Yes, the mold could be tweaked

OR

C) The neck could be pulled back, slightly warping the body when the top is put on. Slightly warping the body is how Spanish guitar makers tweak the neck angle when building in the traditional style...they do it when gluing on the back rather than the top, but the net effect is the same. The CA's have a glued-on top; this trick would work just fine.

D) The need for a truss rod has nothing to do with neck strength or stiffness and everything to do with adjusting neck relief to each player's taste. Once again, I'll make the automobile analogy. Would you buy a car with a non-adjustable driver's seat?

E) Hartley will bring a very disciplined workforce, and efficient factory, and deep pockets to this project. He cannot do much, though, about the raw materials costs which are quite high. He's also in the business to make money and he won't sell guitars as a loss leader to get market share. He'd probably also like to have the technology to make carbon fiber necks for his electrics. Good move on his part. He's also been an incredibly staunch supporter of independent music stores and backs his dealers like nobody in the biz.
I was just thinking about Ricks' comments from that thread earlier today.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 12-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM

I'm enjoying the unfounded speculation and divisive rhetoric as much as anybody, but just a reminder that we'll see the real deal in a month or so.

Then the threads should get interesting.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Deleted to keep my blood pressure down.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingskunk View Post
As for the truss rod issue, I hope that they are installed on ones for people who want one- maybe give them an upcharge of say $500 and that some are made at lower prices for folks like me who dont want or need them.

A truss rod will not be effective in any way on a composite neck because of its inherent stiffness. End of story. Period.

Last edited by rlouie; 12-19-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: #1 rule
Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
very common knowledge about the neck angle but never heard of saddle problems. actually for the cargo one of the worst sounding guitars i have played. for a use as a paddle guitar perfect but definately not a bit of wood guitar sound anywhere
Keep telling yourself that. The reason that the Cargo sales went through the roof is that the PERFORMANCE sound was superior to anything else in a relatively inexpensive bottom-of-the-line guitar.

I mean, get real. I love my beer-proof Cargo because at my level of playing, beer is an ever present constant. I can take it, without any concern whatsoever, where I would not be willing to take my best all wood guitars.

Like, for instance, outside my home.

OpenD
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
Regarding that, I don't find any evidence that they filed for bankruptcy. There are no "secret" bankruptcies, and I can't turn up any record of bankruptcy for them.
Being bankrupt is not the same as filing for bankruptcy. The latter gives a company (or individual) certain legal protections under the law, and the intended outcome is to keep companies viable. Not every bankrupt company or individual (defined as having liabilities larger than assets) chooses to file bankruptcy.

OpenD
Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

<<snip moderated post>>

A truss rod will not be effective in any way on a composite neck because of its inherent stiffness. End of story. Period.

Can we give this canard a rest now????

10 posts so far on the AGF.

I've learned quite a bit about you now.

Thanks.

Jeff, don't expect much from this interaction. Rick Turner obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. Neither do we.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 12-16-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Hmm..
Looks like my post was deleted by the moderators editing a post I quoted.

OpenD, was wondering if you could fill us in a bit on your background...specifically, any background you might have in composite/CF guitar construction?
What you say goes counter to what Rick Turner has posted.
We know Rick....his career in luthery, guitar design, etc.
Always interested in learning more from the pros.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 PM

inherently stiff, yes. Like sitka spruce, for example.

stiff, but not rigid. Otherwise it wouldn't function very well as a guitar, would it? Remember, it's "composite" acoustics. The proof is in the pudding, as in, what ingredients are used in making the pudding.

We are talking about a sewing project before it becomes a guitar - no kidding. More involved than meets the eye, or the mind's eye.

I wouldn't argue with Rick Turner, Larry Pattis or anyone who likes their Cargo just as it is. The fact that we are even discussing the instrument at this stage is a testament in itself.

Blame Ellis Seal for developing it. And blame me for suggesting we promote it from the dusty corner full of maybe guitars. I can tell you there's not an ounce of regret in either one of us, except maybe for the inability to sustain the dream of Composite Acoustics, Lafayette, La. Ellis is the real hero, the man behind the curtain, who left aerospace to give over 10 years of his working life to make CA a reality.

I worked for Bob Taylor, and I worked for Ellis Seal. I can tell you in many ways they are the same guy. Passionate, brilliant, committed -- those words come to mind. Beyond the $$$, Ellis like Bob did something great. He took an idea from his garage and built a successful brand, and he did it with a non-wood acoustic guitar. Not an easy prospect, as evidenced by the boat paddle analagizers that lurk here today.

Let's hope that Peavey does more than release the CA guitars, let's hope they engage in a healthy product development as well including the improvements mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for all the fun discussion. Can't wait to see what's in the Peavey booth at the show.

Jay
Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 PM

gentlemen, I've had to edit a few posts an quotes in this thread and I apologize if your post was affected but please don't let him drag you into his net.......thank you for your cooperation :-)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM

I own two CA's and have played many others. None were Cargos.

I've made the statement before on this forum as to how my CA's NEVER go out of tune. 100 degrees or zero degrees does not matter. Pull them out of the case and start performing. Even if they have condensation on them! That is the definition of stable. And they sound great plugged in. BTW, finger picking only. I ain't no strummer. No change in string height since the beginning.

The only complaint I've ever heard about CA's is from the same poster as on this thread. For certain there have been far more poitive replys than negative replys about CA's. I love my CA's. I understand that you may not like your CA. That's why we have all different brands of products to choose from.

How Peavy handles the guitars with the same name remains to be seen. But it will not be the same guitar. I will still continue to hunt shops with NOS pre Peavy CA's for sale.

Last edited by Fliss; 12-17-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: AGF rule 1 "be nice" please check FAQ
Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 AM

I'm really not sure what makes these little guys so controversial. If they were flawed and nobody wanted one, then nobody would care.

I can understand LP wanting a taller saddle. My saddle is pretty low, but it doesn't bother me because the guitar still plays well and sounds fine.

Sure, over-setting the neck will allow a tall saddle and low action, but it'll also increase the torque on the top. Not sure that's a good thing with a carbon fiber top. Perhaps we'll find out in a month or so.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber