The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

I have (and love) a '94 D-19 natural and a 2006 L-09 burst. Both continue to age/mature very well and I've had zero issues. Bought the D-19 in 2000 used and the L-09 new in 2007/08. The best way I can describe the dred tone is somewhere between the Martin and Taylor sound, but closer to Martin. It's probably not a dred for a bluegrass band as the volume is very good but not a cannon. What I like most is the tonal balance is just great, with clear bass that is quite rich not "woofy". The L-09 is a body size Larrivee designed early on and it's very versatile working equally well for different styles. Both of mine are Sitka over EIR.

IMHO JCL obtains some of the nicest Sitka tops around -maybe due to their northwest roots/location- with beautiful medullary silking that develops more and more with age. He also is good with some more unusual tonewoods like Silver Oak (not a true oak) and Peruvian Walnut. I've played a few of his Peruvian Walnut that sound fantastic and an Larry walnut guitar is on my GAS short list.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
They made a short scale for a few years - I think is was called the LS series and it was made on 25 1/2 and 24 3/4 scale. Hard to find

I have an LSV-11. Spectacular guitar.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-23-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 PM

I bought a D-03R a week or so ago, fantastic guitar for the price (<$1K used immaculate). Wanted another spruce/rosewood config to replace the Tacoma DR20 I recently sold. I personally love the satin finish. Nut width is fine. Neck profile is slightly fatter than my Blueridge BR-160ce and my 3 Martins, which is no surprise - about the same feel as the Tacoma was. I have relatively smaller hands and spent most of my days as an electric guy before going all acoustic a few years back, and I confess to bit of laziness - although I can blame it a little on ol' fart Arthur-itis. Still, I have no intention of ditching great sounding guitars just to have more ease of play, sometimes a little extra effort leads to better music.

I almost went for an extremely rare and unique L-07R, according to Larivee it's actually a L-09R without any headstock logo or model # on the label (!). Loved the body size and rosewood (without yet playing it) but backed off after the owner jacked up his price based on info from Larivee. What he didn't take into account, which I have to, is that rare models that can't be compared online can be very difficult to sell and I didn't want to take that risk just in case.

Same thing happened with a super nice sounding C-03R (not TE model) with a couple major cracks on the side. Great ax but likely un-resellable, due to the extreme rarity and the cracks, even though they didn't affect the tone at all.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 11-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

99% of the time, I buy new guitars, and I don't have to wonder if the dealer will take them back for a refund or exchange. I can audition and examine the ax for a while and decide if I like it or not with no problems. Yes, it will likely cost more this way but I like the peace of mind.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion