The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 06:53 PM

Default Curious about string spacing and different brands for fingerstyle

By and large, I've noticed that the majority of members here who play finger style prefer 2 1/4 or even 2 5/16 string spacing at the saddle. I can certainly see the logic in that you have more space between the strings.

But then I wonder why manufactures such as Lowden and Mcilroy, Brook, etc. have with 2 3/16 even less even though they are famous for being played fingerstyle. Is this a UK thing? Do Brits have smaller or more slender fingers?

Just wondering.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

A few years ago I had Santa Cruz Guitars build me a slightly modified guitar which normal came with 2 3/16. I specified 2 3/8. When there talking with Richard about the build I asked why most of their guitars came that way.

His answer was when he started building the normal range was 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 so he chose the middle spacing. Never felt the need to change that unless specified by the buyer.

Maybe it's the same with others. Taylor still offers no alternative to 2 3/16 which is one reason why I don't own any Taylor 6 strings.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 11-27-2020, 11:47 PM

I would hazard that going from, say, 2 3/8" spacing to 2 1/4 is less of an issue when playing with bare flesh, i.e. not picking with the nail but the fingertip.

I think with the dunlop type fingerpicks, or long(ish) fingernails, it would take a bit of practice to not hit adjacent strings when switching to narrower spaced strings.

To each their own, really. I think with enough practice a human can compensate a lot. But many folks here have been playing guitar for long enough that they have set habits and preferences.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps this is one aspect that drove me to 12 fret guitars.
All of my flat tops have 2 & 5/16" or 2 & 3/8" string spacings.

Dreads - std scale : 1 & 13/16" nut width to 2 & 3/8"
000 - as above but 2 & 5/16" S.P.
00 - short scale - then as above.
0 - as above

Jumbo - short scale 1 & 13/16" to 2 & 5/16"
Waterloo L-00 type - 1 & 3/4" to 2 7b 3/8"

Archtops ar totally different: designed as rhythm boxes only - so, just measured one - 2 & 1/16" string spacing.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:05 AM

So far you guys are proving my point. Most of you want wider string spacing. So how does Lowden and McElroy stay in business selling their finger style guitars when they have such narrow string spacing?
Old 11-28-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
By and large, I've noticed that the majority of members here who play finger style prefer 2 1/4 or even 2 5/16 string spacing at the saddle. I can certainly see the logic in that you have more space between the strings.

But then I wonder why manufactures such as Lowden and Mcilroy, Brook, etc. have with 2 3/16 even less even though they are famous for being played fingerstyle. Is this a UK thing? Do Brits have smaller or more slender fingers?

Just wondering.

I think it's all about mechanics. . . and nails. Since my nails are kind of fragile and I usually play "hard," a wider string spacing benefits me. On the other hand, I don't feel it's that hard to fingerpick with a narrow string space if anyone gets used to it.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 11-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So far you guys are proving my point. Most of you want wider string spacing. So how does Lowden and McElroy stay in business selling their finger style guitars when they have such narrow string spacing?
Dunno.

Wider spacing would require a slightly wider neck?
If people are buying them, why change?
I've had 3 Lowdens, and currently own a McIlroy and the string spacing is fine for my hands. George does make a wider spacing as an option, and it is standard on the Pierre Bensusan model I think.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:24 AM

I started out playing classical guitar, so I prefer a wider string spacing. I usually build them with 2 3/8" at the saddle for fingerstyle guitars (but have made a few 2 1/2"). For large bodied and "D" type guitar I usually go narrower, as that is what is expected. For fingerstyle guitars I also go with a 1 7/8" to 2" wide neck at the nut.
But as others have said I think you can get used to tighter spacings. I have finger picked individual strings on a 12 string guitar, which requires some concentration but is doable.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

As a teacher for 40 years, I never had a student mention string-spacing at the bridge, but had constant discussions about nut-width/string-spacing.

In fact I have different guitars with different string spacing at the bridge - which makes zero difference to me as a full time fingerstyler. I DO have issues trying to be as capable on a 1/¹¹⁄₁₆" nut.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2020, 10:29 AM

Cool

Good question Paul. I've been wondering about this also.

My AJ has 2 5/32" string spacing (what an odd #). Small, but I seem to get by fine. But I often wonder if I would get by finer with a little more room. If it weren't for Covid I'd be test driving something like an Eastman OO: 2 3/8" at the bridge and 1 13/16" at the nut. Next year it will happen.

Wouldn't it be nice if the bridge was slotted, instead of with holes, so that you could slide the pins around and get the spacing you want?

Wouldn't it also be cool if the guitar could tune itself, with motors on the tuning pegs.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 11-28-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

For awhile I was playing Santa Cruz 12 fret 00 size guitars which all had 2 3/16" string spacing. Back then I was playing only fingerstyle and with no nails. I did find the 2 3/16" string spacing to be on the tight side. I did acclimate to it fairly well but it always felt tight and I was glad to go back to 2 1/4" as a minimum. I would always feels the adjacent strings on the 'backside' of the nail bed which could be disconcerting, at least at first. I could hear the click of contact and if that string was vibrating then I'd hear the annoying buzz as the string dampened.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:42 AM

I have only ever fingerpicked and have never really got the hang of even a thumbpick. Most of my guitars have a 2 3/8" spread at the bridge. My others are all over the place. So my '42 Gibson J50 has a 2 3/16" spacing which Gibson apparently went to around 1941 while Harmony apparently stuck with a 2 4/16." While I find the wider spread easier to approach I am flexible enough to play those with a stingier spread at the bridge. So maybe there is something to the difference being less of an issue when playing with just fingers.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:28 AM

my alvarez strings (outside to outside) measure 2 1/8 at the bridge. near as i can tell using a digital micrometer:

the actual "nut" is 1 3/4, but the strings are (outside to outside):

37.18mm which i guess is around 1 15/32 or something.

where are you supposed to measure from/to?
Old 11-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I agree. Anything below about 2-3/16 feels cramped to me.

Unfortunately my Yamaha TA is 2" (!) at the bridge. I don't have big hands, but it's starting to feel like you need Barbie fingers to go that narrow. As much as I hate to do it, it may be heading out the door before long.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I mostly play what I would call folk fingerstyle, all with bare flesh fingers (no nails or picks). My Yamaha LL16 has 1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 saddle spacing, my Guild D40 Traditional has 1 11/16 nut and 2 1/8 saddle, and my S&P Pro Folk has a 1.72 nut and 2 1/8 saddle spacing and short scale.

Whats odd is out of these three guitars my S&P is most cramped with my finger picking hand even though my Guild has the same spacing. I can definitely notice the extra room on my picking hand when I pick up my LL16, I was a little nervous to try my Guild when I got it as a surprise gift, but much to my surprise, I finger pick really good with it. I can still notice the extra room on my LL16, but unlike the S&P I don't feel cramped on the Guild, plus it's got the narrowest nut spacing out of all of them (and is also the most comfortable for my fretting hand) and is definitely my most played guitar.

So, as a primarily a folk finger picker who plays dreads mostly, I'm just fine with a 2 1/8. You just get used to it! 2" would be too narrow though.

If you're ever interested in a dread with a narrower nut but plenty of picking room at the bridge, check out Larrivee's D40 Legacy, 2 1/4 spacing at bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion