The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 11:12 AM

got my first HOG yesterday ..a Guild M-120 ...love it ..
Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 PM

Last year I was finally in the position to buy my very first brand new USA-made Martin, and I selected the modestly-priced 000-15SM, which I purchased locally at The Music Emporium.

I wasn't sure at first about my choice, it was kind of stiff and reticent, but a year and half later it's opened up nicely, and now is an extremely sweet guitar that is satisfying in every respect.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 11-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
If..if..they could get the TONE of this little old guitar in all the new ones, they could make considerably MORE!

BluesKing777.
Ay, there's the rub!

The classic small bodied hogs were really cheap guitars. So into the fray I'll throw this one:

It was 99.00 GBP new (about $130). Sings like bird and, after some work, plays like a dream (I fitted a new bone nut, new bone saddle, reshaped the bridge, did a fret level and set-up and fitted monel strings). And coz its soooo cheap I just take it anywhere. The photo is from a campervan trip to the Hebrides last month. It is built well enough to last into the next century when someone in 2120 will post a picture of it on AGF as a 2020 classic with the tone. And a boutique builder will be making a $30,000 copy of it!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorite OMs is this Collings OM2. It’s 6 years old and has developed a tone that is dark, warm, crisp, balanced with a nice growl

Old 11-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Is that a Harmony figure8?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmish View Post
Loving this one currently.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Default All hog fans

I for one would like to see even more opinions/comments on the differences between the Martin 000-15's, Santa Cruz all hogs, and Collings all hogs. Actually any and all different all mahogany guitars, particularly 00, 000 sizes. I love the sound, but have pretty much zero access to try them out. I'm east of Cleveland, Ohio....
Old 11-13-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Is that a Harmony figure8?

It's a Baker. My friend Brad made it at Wooden Music in Goshen, IN.

https://www.facebook.com/Wooden-Music-351355425132/
Pono C-OM-30
Blueridge Br-163
'73 Guild D-25
Recording King Dirty Thirties Parlor
Facebook: Koanical Inhale Project
http://www.youtube.com/user/zencabbage/videos
Old 11-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb100712 View Post
I for one would like to see even more opinions/comments on the differences between the Martin 000-15's, Santa Cruz all hogs, and Collings all hogs. Actually any and all different all mahogany guitars, particularly 00, 000 sizes. I love the sound, but have pretty much zero access to try them out. I'm east of Cleveland, Ohio....
I don't think you have to spend a lot of cash at all to get lovely small bodied hog top sound. I wouldn't discount the cheap brands. That dirt cheap Vintage Statesboro that I posted a photo of further up this page I think has that 'old' tone. It sounds very dry, woody and a little boxy but not too much so (more focused really). And it has that lush valve amp overdrive that a hog top seems to give out in spades. Well, I'm happy with it anyway.

I have it strung with Martin monel strings - they are about 6 months old now and have been on a number of camping trips but are still going strong. I have has just recorded a short sound sample of the guitar as it is easier to just listen rather than try to explain!

I'm sure that the more expensive guitars are more rounded in tone but as the object is usually to try and get that dry old 1930s $15 guitar sound then perhaps you may get closer with something with hog laminate b/s - unless you are prepared to wait 80 years for a new guitar to play in

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 PM

I love that sound clip. Reminds me of Jerry Garcia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I don't think you have to spend a lot of cash at all to get lovely small bodied hog top sound. I wouldn't discount the cheap brands. That dirt cheap Vintage Statesboro that I posted a photo of further up this page I think has that 'old' tone. It sounds very dry, woody and a little boxy but not too much so (more focused really). And it has that lush valve amp overdrive that a hog top seems to give out in spades. Well, I'm happy with it anyway.

I have it strung with Martin monel strings - they are about 6 months old now and have been on a number of camping trips but are still going strong. I have has just recorded a short sound sample of the guitar as it is easier to just listen rather than try to explain!

I'm sure that the more expensive guitars are more rounded in tone but as the object is usually to try and get that dry old 1930s $15 guitar sound then perhaps you may get closer with something with hog laminate b/s - unless you are prepared to wait 80 years for a new guitar to play in
Old 11-27-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

So many great guitars in this thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion