The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-22-2006, 07:07 PM

No doubt she's wearing cowboy boots with that dress! Nevertheless, great picture! I couldn't find anything about her playing a sunburst but I haven't given up yet

"Those of you who think you know everything, annoy those of us who really do."

1992 Seagull S6 Cedar - "Jonathan"
2004 Gibson Southern Jumbo - "Magic"
2007 Epiphone EL-00 - "Elmo"
2005 Gibson J-185 - "Lily"
Old 04-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Kathleen Edwards

Hey! Just saw a great singer/songwriter on Austin City Limits - PBS over the weekend... Kathleen Edwards. Great songs and great backing band. She played the last half of the show, Alison Krauss was first half. Hope I didn't beat this thread to death... but she was pretty good.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM

For me, Tracy Chapman is the best. The combination of her guitar and voice and the thoughtful lyrics. The best.

Not just as a woman guitarist. She is a one of my major musical influences.
Fantastic music.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero
Wanda Vick can play anything with strings.
Alison Brown is more known for her jazz and new age banjo style, but she can play a guitar with best of them.
Shawn Colvin has her own thing going for guitar.
Lisa Loeb. I saw her open for Lyle Lovett once, and her band's flight came from somewhere else than she did, but got held and they were late. Late enough that they didn't make the show. She came onstage by herself with just an acoustic guitar and held the audience for a full 45 minute set.
Pistolero

Was in college at the same time Wanda Vick was in Alabama. We were from the same home town. We played together some with the Jazz band. She was a fantastic fiddle player. She loaned me a gibson archtop for a while (dont remember the model, maybe a super 400) was a great experience to play that high dollar guitar at a young age.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM

Was always a Bonnie Raitt fan from way back in the early 70's. When I was in high school Nancy Wilson was it.

I saw heart live in (19mumble mumble) and I was in love with Nancy Wilson after that show. I still love to play (dog and butterfly) for the kids, and even now I still get goose bumps from thinking about that show.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyfolk
R.I.P. Emily Remler, Eva Cassidy, and a dear friend of mine,Vicki Stagi.
Check out this video of Eva playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I seriously have never heard anything more beautiful!
http://www.youtube.com/w/eva?v=i3Zw...h=eva%20cassidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbwrapper
Thanks ever so much for posting that link! My God, that was beautiful.

Eva Cassidyl leaves me speechless...... I first heard her version of "Fields of Gold" and it was all I could listen to for awhile. "Over the Rainbow" left me gasping as well.... Choice, piognant...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Female Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringman
Was always a Bonnie Raitt fan from way back in the early 70's. When I was in high school Nancy Wilson was it.

I saw heart live in (19mumble mumble) and I was in love with Nancy Wilson after that show. I still love to play (dog and butterfly) for the kids, and even now I still get goose bumps from thinking about that show.
Absolutely, I saw Heart back in the day (76-77) they were rocking for sure. Nancy Wilson is a good RYTHYM guitarist, but their lead guitarist was a friggin genius. He's the one who came up with the Magic Man/Crazy on You lead, Barracuda, all the other good leads... I think he was a rock n'roll burn out though. Too much drugs & rock n'roll lifestyle and the Wilson sisters let him go in the 1980 or so. Of course they haven't rocked since the late 70's or early 80's anyway. That 90's album full of Air Supply-like hits was an embarrassment... but my wife liked it... so go figure.

You can't beat Liz Phair or Bonnie Raitt for female musicians with soul.... with a capital S. No sell out, straight ahead, from the soul... beautiful songs.

Eva Cassidy had a beautiful voice, but she never really hit her stride. Taken away much too young. I liked her take on "Field of Gold" but somehow I think she would have ended up singing in a Disney animated film. Great voice, but I tend to prefer the singer-songwriter types. I admire people like Aimee Mann, Liz Phair, Bonnie Raitt, even Sheryl Crow... all good tunesmiths.

Last edited by GeetarMonkey; 04-27-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Rory Block -opened for her once. Intense woman.
Ani DeFranco- known her for years. One of the nicest and most fun people to be around.
Michelle Shocked -opened for her a couple of times. Super nice as well.
Joan Baez- opened for her as well. Did not get to meet her.
Lucinda Williams - love her stuff. Hope to run into her one day.
Carrie Newcomer- played in her band. One of the best.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 AM

I'm a lifelong Bonnie Raitt fan, myself but, lately I've been listening to Kaki King alot...very talented lady!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell