The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 09-23-2019, 05:08 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
purchased a fgx5 2 weeks ago. all the online stores were back ordered, but i found one here(https://www.seattleguitarstore.com/) if anyone is interested. they may have more in stock.



the guitar is fantastic. i have martins and a high end taylor and this yamaha has been getting played every day. pick up system is wonderful.

Congrats!

In your opinion, is the tone of your FGX5 unplugged equivalent to your Martins and Taylor?
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ) / Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst / Taylor GS Mini Koa / Martin Dread Junior 2 / Yamaha CSF3M / Lava Me.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-23-2019, 05:30 AM
bobbyg67 bobbyg67 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: melbourne fl.
Posts: 1,732
Default

i would classify them as all different. the martin d-18 is the loudest and is generally my go to all around guitar. the yamaha is very nice acoustically and very balanced. it is great for playing and singing unplugged. the taylor 714 ce is great plugged in but lacks the bass i prefer unplugged. it is really hard to compare them because i use different guitars for different songs. different tunings etc. i've noticed the yamaha stays in tune really good also. it is definitely a keeper. remmeber, i've only had it 2 weeks but it gets played every day. it holds its own with every guitar i have, at a very good price in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
i would classify them as all different. the martin d-18 is the loudest and is generally my go to all around guitar. the yamaha is very nice acoustically and very balanced. it is great for playing and singing unplugged. the taylor 714 ce is great plugged in but lacks the bass i prefer unplugged. it is really hard to compare them because i use different guitars for different songs. different tunings etc. i've noticed the yamaha stays in tune really good also. it is definitely a keeper. remmeber, i've only had it 2 weeks but it gets played every day. it holds its own with every guitar i have, at a very good price in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback on the FGX5. Glad that you like it and that it’s a keeper.
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ) / Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst / Taylor GS Mini Koa / Martin Dread Junior 2 / Yamaha CSF3M / Lava Me.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Pillendreher Pillendreher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 66
Default

What is bothering me just based on looking at pictures of the FS/G 5 is that the top looks like it's bordering on orange:



Meanwhile the A5R, which also has the ARE treatment, looks closer to yellow:



What gives? Is the FG5 really that different when it comes to the top? Both are Sitka Spruce.
__________________
Walden D350 CEB
Eastman AC320
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Kale88 Kale88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks! I really like it for strumming👍🏻
__________________
Yamaha FS5
Journey OF660 Matte Black
GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha LL6
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillendreher View Post
What is bothering me just based on looking at pictures of the FS/G 5 is that the top looks like it's bordering on orange:







Meanwhile the A5R, which also has the ARE treatment, looks closer to yellow:







What gives? Is the FG5 really that different when it comes to the top? Both are Sitka Spruce.

Yes, it’s actually quite orange and I really like the colour. I guess we all like different flavours of ice-cream too.

I’m unfamiliar with the A5R and just went to read up a bit on it. It’s made in Japan also. It has solid Rosewood b/s. The FGX5 has solid Mahogany b/s. So they may sound very different from each other. Try out both guitars and see “which one speaks to you”.
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ) / Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst / Taylor GS Mini Koa / Martin Dread Junior 2 / Yamaha CSF3M / Lava Me.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 PM
Seattlesurfer Seattlesurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Seattle
Posts: 15
Default https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6169740#post6169740

After talking with guitar tech, not removing the glued on wood pickguard. Love the guitar and the pickguard is growing on me!
__________________
Yamaha FG-180 Red Label
Yamaha FS5 Red Label
Custom Thinline Semi Hollow body on the way
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-02-2019, 03:08 PM
richdonn richdonn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Default Waiting on a FGX5

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum.

I recently sold a D-41 I had new since 1974, a nice guitar but I never really bonded with it. Too nice for me anyway!

I have had a Yamaha FG150 since about 1970, one of those Nippon Gakki jobs. My parents paid $30 for it with a case. It has a sweet tone but unfortunately needs a neck reset. If I could find someone to do it for about $350, I'd have it done.

I've reserved an FGX5 from Sweetwater and can't wait to get it in. Not as much boom as a D18 but enough for me.

Man, that case looks substantial!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesurfer View Post
After talking with guitar tech, not removing the glued on wood pickguard. Love the guitar and the pickguard is growing on me!

“Better safe than sorry”....good choice!

I’m still on the fence with the pickguard.
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ) / Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst / Taylor GS Mini Koa / Martin Dread Junior 2 / Yamaha CSF3M / Lava Me.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Cool555 Cool555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 780
Default NGD-Yamaha FS5 Red Label (Made in Japan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdonn View Post
Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum.



I recently sold a D-41 I had new since 1974, a nice guitar but I never really bonded with it. Too nice for me anyway!



I have had a Yamaha FG150 since about 1970, one of those Nippon Gakki jobs. My parents paid $30 for it with a case. It has a sweet tone but unfortunately needs a neck reset. If I could find someone to do it for about $350, I'd have it done.



I've reserved an FGX5 from Sweetwater and can't wait to get it in. Not as much boom as a D18 but enough for me.



Man, that case looks substantial!

Welcome back to AGF! You were here in AGF long before I was...

Wow! Interesting story of your FG150. I guess that’s where the “Since 1966” wording on the truss rod came about.

Enjoy your FGX5 when it arrives! Happy strumming!

Yes, I was impressed with the case when I first saw it too!
__________________
Yamaha FS5 Red Label (MIJ) / Faith Venus Blood Moon Burst / Taylor GS Mini Koa / Martin Dread Junior 2 / Yamaha CSF3M / Lava Me.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Richdonn7 Richdonn7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Default Yamaha FGX5

Hi. For those interested, Sweetwater just called and said they had received a shipment in. They might not have them up on the website yet. Mine's coming Saturday or Monday! Give 'em a call!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=