The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Lifting Bridge question

I have an Eastman Parlour and the bridge is lifting slightly when stings are brought up tp tension.

Can the bridge be glued without first removing it.

thanks

daniel

Last edited by gstring; 07-14-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
I have an Eastman Parlour and the bridge is lifting slightly when swings are brought up tp tension.

Can the bridge be glued without first removing it.

thanks

daniel
IMHO probably not very well. If it's any consolation it seems to be a common problem on the Chinese made guitars. I've seen several that had bridge lift issues.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:13 PM

Wood glue (Titebond Original, hot hide glue), which can be cleaned up with a damp rag, is the easiest to use. But it also has a low chance of sticking to old glue. And it has zero chance of sticking to finish. Factory guitars, not just those from China, very often have finish left under the edges of the bridge. You must remove the bridge in order to clean the top completely of all old glue and finish and give wood glue a chance to work.
I have glued slightly loose bridges without removing them, using super glue. But this is not recommended, because there is too much risk in damaging the finish.
One tip when regluing bridges:
I drill two small holes through the bottom of the slot (and through the top and bridgeplate) before removing the bridge. These holes are sized to fit 1/2" long brads, which locate the bridge for XActo scribing around and for regluing. Soap or candle wax is rubbed on the brads so they can be removed after the glue sets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair