The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Yes, you're right. I just mean't the 3000B but didn't specify AKG is easier to type.

Seems to be too specific sounding, maybe good for other applications other than vocals.

What I mean't to say it my preamp is not very good and the SM7B needs a lot more gain than a sensitive mic like the 3000B. So I can't really hear myself clearly during monitoring, but during playback I can add gain and volume in garageband.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 PM

The difference in sensitivity between these two mics is huge. It makes me wonder if you were running the AKG too hot and clipping as a result.

There's a LOT of really bad advice out there saying you should run your recording chain as hot as possible, "almost in the red" or some variation. This can often result in harsh recordings - the dreaded brittle "digital" sound is often the result of someone pushing their analog recording chain beyond its sweet spot.

Your recordings should have an RMS (average) level around -18 dBFS with peaks no higher than -8 dBFS or so.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm sorry I'm new to all this, by red do you mean the green bar that moves according to volume and falls in the red if you're too loud? If so, I tend to record in the green... I watch it pretty well, but it may hit the red the odd time. Is that what you mean?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 PM

red, green, colored lights are not levels and all gear is different. I have a mixer and the last 10 dB or so below 0dB are red LEDs. People sometimes say, "Hey, Ty, your meters are in the red!!! Doesn't that mean it's too loud an distorted?" No, in this case, it doesn't.

If I'm recording individual tracks, I'm OK with occasional peaks of up to 0dB, but normally peak at -6 to -8.

As for the 3000B, it's not a pretty sounding mic and it has a bit of an edge. Your preamp may not be helping. Here's the deal. If you want to record smooth sounds, you can't use a mic that has edges. Use it for things you want to have an edge on or on things that already have a bigger edge.

The SM7B is a good directional dynamic. You'll get years of use out of it. You can work it pretty close and that will allow you to turn down the preamp and lower the preamp noise.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Hey TY what do you think of the tlm 102 as a vocal mic? I googled reviews for the mic and found an article written by you... I'm I'm more looking for a simple answer than the technical, for example. Do you think it's a better vocal mic than the sm7b? I know all mics sound different to different people, but maye you have some thoughts on this?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Matt,

Very nice mic, more sensitive than the SM7b, that mean you'll use less preamp gain and that probably means less preamp hiss.

Regards,

Ty
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Sorry to bump this guys but I don't want to make a new thread about this and I really need your help.

1. I've since learn't that the issue is not with microphones. I EQ'ed them wrong. The AKG is fine.

2. I finally figured out how to set garageband so I can monitor properly.

3. Recordings still sound nothing like what I monitor.

Gear --
Saffire 6 (interface)
Pre-73 ( pre-amp)
Mic (AKG C3000B)
Software (Garageband)
Monitor (Grado's SR225i)

I know I don't have proper monitors but if the sound is coloured it's coloured going in (monitoring) and going back out (playback) the same way.

I also started to record with my presets (reverb, etc) on because that way I can tell how to play and sing according to what the presets will make it sound like.

During monitoring:
- Sound is very detailed, I can hear every breathe and ring with intense presence.
- Sound is very dynamic, trebles ring high, bass rumbles, reverb surrounds me.
- Volume is perfect, sound is very forward, right in my ear, right there with me.
During playback:
- less detail, less dynamic range, sound seems further, flatter....

Now I know it's not supposed to sound identical to what I hear live but there's just so much potential I am hearing from my mic when I monitor it's almost like watching a movie in blu ray and then watching again in VHS.

There has to be something I can do...
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 AM

nvmd guys I posted this on gear slutz and they answered my Q.
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 AM

and what was the answer?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:39 AM

I think it's something called comb filtering or something.

Basically my audio interface has the "monitor" setting in the middle. So I am hearing the live signal and a delayed signal that is sent back to me from the comp, creating a thicker fuller sound....
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattChen View Post
I think it's something called comb filtering or something.

Basically my audio interface has the "monitor" setting in the middle. So I am hearing the live signal and a delayed signal that is sent back to me from the comp, creating a thicker fuller sound....
Yep, a factor in what we have been telling you all along although comb filtering is only a smaller part of it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Are you making allowance for the bone transduction of low frequencies that occurs between your mouth and your ear whenever you are using your mouth? It makes us all sound bassier than we are to ourselves while we speak and sing. When you hear a playback, you naturally think, "Where's all the low end?" I don't want to insult your intelligence, but that is a new recordists' first surprise when recording himself.

Bob
So true, Bob... the best way to know if it's accurate on playback and recording is to use someone else. If others sound like themselves, so will we.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD