The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
I just purchased ASD, which I compared to Transcribe!. Although the layout of ASD is a little crude, I felt that it had slightly better sound reproduction at low speeds (to my ear, at least) than did Transcribe.
That is true, and one of the reasons I stuck with ASD for so long. But once I really started using Transcribe! and making use of its features (which include visual waveform selection and video processing as well), there was no doubt which was the superior software overall. I transcribe from scratch, so that may make a difference in my preference
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 AM

I've used something like that, if i'm not wrong it's sonic player..
yes, definitely this program able to slowdon the pace, but the tone is off.. wayy..wayy off.. just like in a film when someone screaming but in a slow motion..
p.s it's free player
Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 AM

Free? QuickTime Player and Windows Media Player are free and have that capability.

That said, try the Transcribe demo and take some time to look at the feature set.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM

I downloaded TRANSCRIBE and it all looks like Greek to me. I have no clue as to how to use it. I've read some of the help files, but they're not as elementary as I need it. Suggestions and/or insight into this program?

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

1) Use the FILE-OPEN menu to open your mp3 or whatever file.

2) Click the PLAY icon to start playing the song.

3) Click on one of the buttons along the top that say 25%-35%-50%-70%-100% to slow it down.

There are also icons for PAUSE, FF, REW, etc. that look just like the icons on a DVD player and you can click them. The only quirk is that if you PAUSE the song you have to click PAUSE again to resume where you left off. Clicking PLAY after PAUSE makes it start over at the beginning.

Lots of other features and information displays but if you just want to play it slowly that's easy as anything could be. The other really often-used feature is to take your mouse and drag it to highlight some portion of the orange timeline (the part with the squiggly audio display) to define a loop to be played over and over instead of the whole song.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM

I get the basics, but I'm not sure how transcribing comes into play. I play the song, there's the sound wave, but I don't know how this is suppose to help me transcribe. Isn't transcribing the ability to write out the melody and/or chords by listening to the song?

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I get the basics, but I'm not sure how transcribing comes into play. I play the song, there's the sound wave, but I don't know how this is suppose to help me transcribe.
Transcribe! helps you errrr....transcribe by slowing down the song (in real time) without changing its pitch while at the same time applying certain algorithms to ensure that the playback does not become choppy at very low speeds. There are loads of other features, of course, but that's the gist of it.

Sure, it's not *essential* to have a piece of software to help you transcribe songs, but it sure makes things a heckuva lot easier!

P.S. Are your speakers on?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Default quicktime pro

Apple's Quicktime Pro can slow down audio and video. It's pitch adjustment is fair but not great. I like it and have used it for years.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

There are no practical automatic-transcription programs for complex polyphonic musical performances, if that's what you're asking. Maybe one day but I can't really imagine that working very well. Heck, the overuse of fake reverb alone would have to be brutal to deal with.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I downloaded TRANSCRIBE and it all looks like Greek to me. I have no clue as to how to use it. I've read some of the help files, but they're not as elementary as I need it. Suggestions and/or insight into this program?
Can you still download the old version? I use a five year old version....it's quite simple. I know they made several advancements, but I'm simple. I use it constantly.......loops, changing pitch, slowing down....all I need.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM

I've recently been looking at getting a program also...
I will 100% make a purchase in the near future, but trying to find the best one.

So far I've tried GDT (Guitar and Drum Trainer) by Renegade Minds, it's actually pretty good but seems to be a system hog (not the worst by any means though). Has a lot of features and relatively easy to use. You can be up and looping and slowing down in no time. Has some wicked options for wave forms, EQ etc... However I only used the basic functions (I just need to learn that solo!)

One nagging issue so far: Sometimes, it's hard to skip to a section of the song and I have to use the FF RW buttons. Clicking on the wave form marks the loop start and end (right and left click, simple). But how do you advance to a certain section of the song??? Then sometimes clicking on the wave form skips to that point. A bit glitchy but very usable still.

http://renegademinds.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=65

I'm also considering Riff Master Pro - anyone have any experience with this?

I'll dl a trial version later, and then also try transcribe. It also looks easy to use.
http://riffmasterpro.com/

I looked at Transcribe but it didn't look that friendly so I didn't DL it. Plus it was expensive. But if you guys say it's that good I'll check it out...

Really all I need to do is slow down the song so I can tab it out for myself. What does Trascribe! do that helps?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD