The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sigh…

What Bob W said!

I guess model churn keeps sales humming.

I do NOT mind the ecological woods and the company committing to low carbon, etc.

Still, for me, some of the 94-99s and the R.Taylors are about as good as “newer” factory guitars get. Since I gravitate to Cedar and Redwood tops, I managed to escape the dreaded “Bright Tone”. Maybe that is part of the reason, come to think on it.

Plus one on the exemplary Customer Service!

What the hey, now I can get all the features I want from John Kinnaird.

Over the decades I asked Bob T for Elixir strings, 12 frets, bevels, etc, and he said, “No one wants that.”
My reply was always, I do so others must, too.

Eventually they did build them and they sold, so neener-neener…. Haha

Go 50! What will happen next?

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-26-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
It seems many companies including Taylor and Martin are treating their guitar lineups like fashion/apparel. Each year, a new trend, a new color, what's in, what's out, etc. All for the customer/player, right?
I think this is an entirely fair observation. It seems anecdotal, yes, but I agree that not much has "moved the needle" of late. And I am a Taylor guy with the "legacy" guits (read "old") that I adore. But of late, just more finishes and cutsie doo-dads is what passes as "new." Or maybe it's just me....

Edward
Old 01-26-2024, 08:53 PM

These are definitely a dissappointment. Especially when you look at how great their 30th anniversary series were twenty years ago.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
...for me, some of the '94-99s and the R.Taylors are about as good as “newer” factory guitars get...

Plus one on the exemplary Customer Service!...l
Ditto.....
Old 01-26-2024, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOfYourLife View Post
Then again, does $300 worth of Lumber and $100 of seashells equal to 20k?

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...d-circa-74-amp
There's way more than just $300 worth of lumber and $100 worth of shell in that koa guitar in the link, however, certainly not $20,000 worth.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of simple aesthetics with great tone. It seems to me the glitz is Taylors focus at the moment.
I've only owned one Taylor and it didn't stay with me for very long. I enjoy how they feel to play , but I can't seem to find one the sounds how I like a guitar to sound.
Obviously there's a lot of people that like glitz and are happy to pay for it, otherwise Taylor wouldn't be building it, would they?
Old 01-27-2024, 12:56 AM
AGF Administrator

I had a chance to demo the 314ce LTD and AD14ce-SB LTD in my local shop today.

The torrefied top of the 314ce LTD gives it a much nicer sound than a standard 314ce, but it's not something I'd pay $2800 for. Pass.

The AD14ce-SB LTD had harsh trebles and weak bass. I liked the smaller AD12e-SB with the same wood pairing, so I imagined its bigger brother would even better. It was worse; the one I played, anyway. Pass.

Looking forward to the 50th Anniversary GS Minis coming later this year.

Another thing that got my attention...

In the video below, at the 7:05 mark, they mentioned they're going to be bringing out some "throwback" models throughout the year. Shown in the video is a 858 12-string with older 800 series specs - including white nut and X bracing. I hope to see more of these, because V-Class just doesn't do it for me.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the review!
Do you have more info about the GS Minis?
Old 01-27-2024, 05:47 AM

In the early 2000's bought 655 12 string and 615 I really liked, sold / traded away for no reason

Both were fine instruments, but like others, nothing new has worked for me

Could still see adding the right 855 to my mini- flock
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 01-27-2024, 12:33 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
Thanks for the review!
Do you have more info about the GS Minis?
They are mentioned starting at 2:08 in the video above.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I had a chance to demo the 314ce LTD and AD14ce-SB LTD in my local shop today.

The torrefied top of the 314ce LTD gives it a much nicer sound than a standard 314ce, but it's not something I'd pay $2800 for. Pass.

The AD14ce-SB LTD had harsh trebles and weak bass. I liked the smaller AD12e-SB with the same wood pairing, so I imagined its bigger brother would even better. It was worse; the one I played, anyway. Pass.

Looking forward to the 50th Anniversary GS Minis coming later this year.

Another thing that got my attention...

In the video below, at the 7:05 mark, they mentioned they're going to be bringing out some "throwback" models throughout the year. Shown in the video is a 858 12-string with older 800 series specs - including white nut and X bracing. I hope to see more of these, because V-Class just doesn't do it for me.

Sounds like some folks at Taylor have been reading AGF and taking notes….
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-27-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I love the Taylor Guitars Company, for the guitars I've bought from them and for the excellent customer service they've rendered to me more than once. I also appreciate the craftsmanship and fit and finish their guitars have featured for so many years.

With that understood, I feel like their visual aesthetic has dramatically moved away from me, to where I rarely see one of their guitars that I find appealing. That and the constantly changing kaleidoscope of features, shape, and wood changes, and their strong integrating of reclaimed wood into the regular lines have made me an outsider who can no longer distinguish or recommend any model because I have no frame of reference.

It is all very disappointing.

Bob

Same on all points. I would own a few Taylors if their website made sense of their line up. I can't tell what I want. Its poorly done in my view.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I like Taylor Guitars, really. While searching for what I like and what fit, I owned several Taylor models over the past 12 years. I have held on to only one though, my 2017 322e 12 fret... however I wished I had kept my 712e 12 fret.

The 50th Anniversary guitars look great, but I believe they are priced out of line. $20 K for the PS Koa with amp. C'mon.

I admire their responsible harvesting/purchasing of resources, eco friendly approach, etc, and if I should run into a Taylor that strikes my fancy, I may buy it. Until then, I will keep whats in my signature line.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-27-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
They are mentioned starting at 2:08 in the video above.
Warm thanks!
Old 01-27-2024, 04:13 PM

Default Thoughts on Taylor's new 50th anniversary line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I like Taylor Guitars, really. While searching for what I like and what fit, I owned several Taylor models over the past 12 years. I have held on to only one though, my 2017 322e 12 fret... however I wished I had kept my 712e 12 fret.

The 50th Anniversary guitars look great, but I believe they are priced out of line. $20 K for the PS Koa with amp. C'mon.

I admire their responsible harvesting/purchasing of resources, eco friendly approach, etc, and if I should run into a Taylor that strikes my fancy, I may buy it. Until then, I will keep whats in my signature line.

I grabbed a PS10 at a Roadshow back in the day and while it was a looker, it sounded SAD, by that I mean, not good at all!! I put it down and grabbed an 810 that was sitting there and it KILLED the PS model!! Louder and just open! The PS was really tight and boxy sounding! $10k at the time, for a guitar that sounded horrible.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion