The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 07:08 AM

I'm sitting next to a Larrivee 12 string right now, it's a very barebones entry level model, a D-02.

It cost me all of $850 and I overpaid, there's one on Reverb for $750.

But it's a great guitar at any price and I would recommend anyone check out Larrivee.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:21 AM

I would describe my Larrivee’s sound first and foremost as very articulate. It’s the quality I love most about it, and I find many Larrivee’s do have this quality in varying degrees. It also has incredible sustain and balance. The trebles are clean and rich all the way up the fretboard. Mine is a sitka top, and each year it really does sound better the more it’s played. I love that guitar.

I’ve cycled through a bunch of guitars over the last few years, and I still think Larrivee is the best value in an American guitar (even with the price raises).
Old 03-20-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm a huge fan of Larrivee. As someone who prefers the tone of large bodied 12-fret instruments, Larrivee is perhaps the only manufacturer that offers these as a part of their standard lineup. I've never done a direct back-to-back comparison of their instruments with their close to Martin equivalents, but going off memory, I think my SD-40R/Moonwood is slightly better than the Gruhn 28-style Martin custom shop instruments, and my all-hog SD-40 is much better than the custom shop 12-fret D-15 series instruments I've tried.

I second an earlier comment above about these being very classy instruments packed with value. What other manufacturer offers all wood binding (none of the plastic/ivoroid stuff you see with the more popular makes) across the body of the instrument and the fretboard. All of my SD instruments have herringbone like appointments as well.
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-20-2024, 10:27 AM

Here's my twelve string.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMollard View Post

Here's my twelve string.
Nice, I'm wanting an L bodied Rosewood version.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:09 PM

Default More musings on Larrivee

I agree strongly with the Larrivee lovers here. I've got a custom T-44 moonspruce/black limba "travel size" guitar and a custom O-40 all "hog" with vintage sunburst. I'm really impressed how much tone and volume both of these guitars have. The O-40 in particular, with the 24 inch scale, 1 3/4 nut, and 12 fret to the body with Martin Monel strings really is a great "blues" box, sounds great, deep and woody. If you put D'addario XS phosphor bronze on it, it shimmers, still deep, but more full dimensional. The T-44 which has body height a little under 12.5 inches, is bright and balanced, and isn't just for finger style. It strums well, is loud, and just surprises the heck out of you. And with the 1 3/4 nut and 22.8 inch scale length, it's got surprising room on the fretboard and is easy to play once set up with lower action than Larrivee (like Martin) ships with. The finish on both is extraordinary, with maple bindings that come only on the higher end Taylors and Martins, and of course no risk of the binding coming off as is reported on Martins over the last ten years or so and continuing with their new guitars as well. On the sound, I'd say that the 40, 50, and 60 Larrivee range with the asymmetric bracing bends more to a Martin tone but not so bass heavy, good bass but with better balance than you'll find in most Martins. And compared to Taylor, the Larrivees have much more depth and are less thin than the modern Taylor sound. All in all, I think the Larrivees are a quality product and for the money are better guitars than either Martin or Taylor. However, their marketing and dealer network is far more limited so people don't get to try them out as much. If they did, I think they'd be up there with Martin, Taylor, and a lot of the more expensive boutique makers. If I have one complaint it is that their OO and OOO guitars while 12 fret to the body, come stock with 25.5 inch scale length; I think that if they gave them a shorter scale length of 24.75 (more in line with the Martin 24.9), people would jump at them, especially the OOO which is bigger and deeper than the Martin OOO. But for now, 24.75 scale length for Larrivee, while possible, is a special order and you're unlikely to find that in the stores.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I've owned many Larrivees and they are simply the best factory guitar for the money today. Also, the most well-balanced in terms of tone. While Taylor has a strong treble, Martin bass, and Gibson midrange, Larrivee has more of a classical sensibility in that they are very even handed and no portion of the spectrum overpowers the other.

One of my best guitars is a Larrivee D09 in Brazilian. It's easily on the level of my Bourgeois and Collings, which is wild to me. I can't say my other Larrivees have been quite on that level but I do hold them in higher regard than comparably priced Taylors and Martins.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerling View Post
If I have one complaint it is that their OO and OOO guitars while 12 fret to the body, come stock with 25.5 inch scale length; I think that if they gave them a shorter scale length of 24.75 (more in line with the Martin 24.9), people would jump at them, especially the OOO which is bigger and deeper than the Martin OOO. But for now, 24.75 scale length for Larrivee, while possible, is a special order and you're unlikely to find that in the stores.
I don’t know the answer about what the scale length Martin used for the vintage 12-fret 00s and 000s, but I am fairly certain they always used long scale for the 12-fret dreads. I asked George Gruhn about why his custom shop 12 fret dreads were long scale, and he said that was what they used in the golden era. I thought the shorter scale 14-fret 000s came later to differentiate it from the long scale OM, but someone can correct me if I’m wrong. In any case, if the long scale 000s and 00s was the way they were made in the golden era, I could see why Larrivee followed suit. Also the only 12-fret 000 in Martin’s lineup without a custom shop order is the 000-15, and it is long scale.

Having said that, I agree with you in that I wouldn’t mind having a shorter scale 12-fret 000.
Martin Backpacker

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 03-20-2024 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:39 PM

Ah you guys are killing me. I just ordered one 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've been told the wait is 4-6 months.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantex View Post
Ah you guys are killing me. I just ordered one 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've been told the wait is 4-6 months.
What did you order exactly? Inquiring minds want to know. I’m sure it will be worth it but I don’t have that kind of patience.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

Last edited by Lillis; 03-21-2024 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:28 AM

I feel a sense of attachment to my Larrivee's. They permit a great deal of musical expression without want for more. They simply satisfy at a high level. The two I own are very different but equally lovely, (000-50-12 fret hog, LSV-11 finger style rosewood). If I was trapped on a desert island with only those two guitars I'd be a happy castaway.
Alvarez 5038
Alvarez 5045
Enya X4
Larrivee LSV-11
Larrivee 000-50
Unbranded (aka Marlboro Martin)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:08 AM

My three Larrivees all have a satin finish and are all unique including a Special Edition Flamed Maple Parlor, a custom all mahogany 12 string LV03 and a moonwood/walnut Forum VI LSV03. All three are exceptional.

Along with my other guitars, I have all my bases covered.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
What did you order exactly? Inquiring minds want to know. I’m sure it will be worth it but I don’t have that kind of patience.
00-40M - Vintage Tobacco Burst, Abalone rosette, full gloss
Old 03-21-2024, 09:51 AM

I think the all gloss would make it an 00-44M rather than a 40 which would be matte finish.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
balanced, full, with a certain sweetness
This ^^^ plus my custom L03 has a cedar top that seems to enhance the bass-a lot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee, larrivee 03, overtones, sustain, tone