The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Default Recording Singing and Acoustics

I am just a beginner and currently recording some of my chords on my Iphone, so I can hear play back. We pretty much have all the I goodies in our home, the phones, pads, computers and such.

In the future as I develop, I will have a desire to record more of my playing, but may also want to record my singing. As of now, I am a better singer than player I was thinking of purchasing the Apogee One mic in the future to record my playing, but that still leaves the question to singing. I want to record both at the same time. What would you suggest for a good basic setup? I just don't want to make a purchase that I probably won't use in the future.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM

Im a beginner too with about 8 months of guitar. I bought a used Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 from a forum member, have a variety of cheap mics (most given to me), and a free mic stand to do my recordings. The link below has some examples but as I'm learning about mic placement and things like that I'm sure I could do better quality recordings. It may not be the best equipment but it's certainly good enough to track progress.

Have fun!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
I am just a beginner and currently recording some of my chords on my Iphone, so I can hear play back. We pretty much have all the I goodies in our home, the phones, pads, computers and such.

In the future as I develop, I will have a desire to record more of my playing, but may also want to record my singing. As of now, I am a better singer than player I was thinking of purchasing the Apogee One mic in the future to record my playing, but that still leaves the question to singing. I want to record both at the same time. What would you suggest for a good basic setup? I just don't want to make a purchase that I probably won't use in the future.
Pete Thorn did a demo video when the Apogee One was released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwR2q5Obzs The vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion, electric guitar, keyboard, and bass were all tracked with the Ap One.

When it's time to record your vocal and guitar you'll need to experiment to find the optimum location for the mic, but you'll be able to capture your performance clearly and accurately, so if the performance is excellent the recording will be excellent.

But if you like gadgets and tech and buying stuff like many of us you will feel limited and start shopping for interface and mics and so on, regardless of where you start.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 AM

Check out the 4Track app for both iPhone and iPad -- ridiculously cheap,really easy and pretty darn cool. Might be a real cost-effective way for you to do what you're looking for. You can get some amazingly good results just from the built-in mics.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
I just don't want to make a purchase that I probably won't use in the future.
Buying "right" once instead of buying "wrong" multiple times is a very complicated and provocative issue.

If you do it, you might be the first person in history.

This forum is full of threads asking the same question.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to learn to sing and play in balance so that one well-placed mic will pick up both voice and guitar. So, as though you were sitting or standing anywhere the balance of the level of your singing and playing would be right if anyone walked up to you to listen.

Get that balance right and life gets a lot easier.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM

I occasionally sing and play live in front of an old RCA 44 ribbon mic. I know there are a lot of differences in our situations, but when you're using one mic, it's all about finding the right mic position to capture a good balance of voice and guitar (which will vary song to song depending on your dynamics!). For me (and I have a soft voice), it's usually about two feet out around the level of my chin. But I'm usually trying to capture somewhat of a 50's vibe when recording this way. YMWMDV-Your mileage will most definitely vary!
“One who is content with what he has, and who accepts the fact that he inevitably misses very much in life, is far better off than one who has much more but who worries about all he may be missing." -Thomas Merton

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD