The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

View Poll Results: Would you buy this video or an all access pass to watch it?
Yes, you're a genius drtedtan! 5 62.50%
No, you're a moron drtedtan! 3 37.50%
Pizza! 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
Yeah, what I envision is more of an opportunity to gain some tools to put in the tool box rather than a one size fits all approach to recording. I've been recording informally since the 90s, but I still keep my eyes and ears open for other approaches that may come in handy.
Well of course everybody is at different positions along the path of recording, so there is that. Perhaps a kind of 101, 201, 301 series that gets more specific might work . I think I understand what you are saying but I also think that if you get a good layman's terminology based Basic's of recording and mixing audio in the home studio. What that will do is give you a fundamental "toolbox" of understanding in which to place any more specific techniques "tools" and in context. If I show you my garage, full of my specific carpenter tools but fail to say "the key is to build it level, square, and plumb", how far will you get building a quality gorgeous custom dream home?

The truth is while there can certainly be more efficient ways to learn, BUT without some fundamental basics using shortcuts will be of marginal help saying " use a condenser cardioid SDC 8" from 14 th fret thru a tube pre is going to of dubious long term help.

As rick-solo correctly pointed out "The specifics of their methods always breaks down when applied to your instruments, your playing, your room acoustics, your (fill in the blank)". don't take that as expert elitism or something , that's just the simple truth

for example the honest correct answers are : (p.s I am not being flippant)

Tracking Topics:
- Do we baffle the performer off with gobos or moving blankets to eliminate extraneous noise and reverb (think project studio rooms, not Abbey Road/Blackbird/Oceanway where you actually want the room tone)? Both Yes and No

- Do we use a good but not overly sensitive dynamic mic, perhaps a Sennheiser 441 or an SM7b? Yes and No

- Do we use SDCs with good off axis rejection (perhaps Beyer MC930 or the hyper cardioid equivalent)? Yes and no

- How do we mic an acoustic guitar (mic type and positions)? Multiple and Varied

- How do we mic a mandolin (mic type and positions)?Multiple and Varied

etc.etc.etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-15-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Arg! There are so many of these free and low cost alternatives available on the internet that it would be more an issue of finding what works in your particular situation and going with it. At this point in time asking someone else to "develop" a curriculum for recording and mixing acoustic-based music would no doubt be a dicey proposition.

Check out "The Recording Revolution" free "teaser" material as an example:

http://therecordingrevolution.com/

I'd say one would be better served by developing a plan for what you want to accomplish, pick a direction to go, start actually bringing your project to fruition, and putting in the work to overcome obstacles as they come up.

I once heard a minister say "There's no reason to be so heavenly-bound that you're no earthly good." I'm not religious, but I think it's wise advice that deserves to be seriously considered.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM

I use the forums at homerecording.com for advice, when needed. I wouldn't pay for a video.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
I'm using cubase not sure how much daw's are similar but the micing and mixing would be interesting. How much $ how long is the video? For download?
I would just fork over 15 bucks for a month @ Groove 3. The problem though is time. Do you want to devote more time trying to learn recording and mixing techniques? There is so much there that is very useful info and for me Videos are so much easier than reading a book(Though I always read the manuals).
After that month is up and you feel there is a couple you may want to pay for Download they do have specials all the time. I bought 3 Downloads and in hindsight wished I just tried the 30 days for 15 as I may of picked other vids to purchase. I do still refer to the ones I did buy though. So I would just go there browse and they do have some examples in each category. Perhaps then you can decide if you want to go this route
Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 PM

I'll prolly just keep wingin it
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 AM

I realize this isn't for everyone, but so far we have close to 20 people interested in this video (I've posted the question on a couple of other sites, too). Sometime this coming week I'll communicate with Kenny and the guys with Groove 3 to see what they think about it.

Before I do that, though, I want to bump this one more time in case anyone has any more input - any and all comments welcome, especially constructive feedback.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD