The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Aura Sixteen & Shorty?

I've been looking at an Aura Sixteen and wonder if anyone has used it with a Shorty or another Rainsong? I use the Shorty for most of my gigs and wonder if the Aura would add anything to the sound. I plug into a Bose Compact - the guitar sounds really good but I'm always on the eternal quest for tone!
Thanks -
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I haven't made it home, yet, to try the Shorty with the Bose, but I run my Taylor 814ce into a Fishman Loudbox Mini, then run that into the Bose and love the sound I get with that combination. You can do a bit more shaping with the Mini than straight into the Bose. I would think the Aura Sixteen pedal would be similar.

Captain Jim
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 PM

The Aura & similar "modeling" pedals are useful for many. I've had great luck with LR Baggs Venue. I can dial in great "acoustic" plugged-in tone with both a recent Shorty and a few vtg Martins that have one or another pickup in 'em. I have little colored tape wedges at settings for my 2 most frequently-used gtrs [Shorty & 1 particuar vtg Martin w/B-band p/u]. This of course is my appropriately-valued $.02...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM

The first key to using an Aura pedal is the pickup in the guitar. Aura seems to work best with USTs, in particular Fishman USTs. If that's what you've got, you will almost certainly be able to get good results with the Shorty. Most people seem to think that about 25-40% Aura effect (60-75% pickup) gives the best results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber