The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-06-2020, 03:20 PM

Congratulations on your Sable!

If you're interested in making more room around the house and want to rid of any "tinny," "weird neck" guitars, there may be a market.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well then, GuitarLuva, consider that honeycomb song devoted to and your new Sable!

Tony
Sweet, thanks!
Old 05-06-2020, 08:41 PM

Get a Sable when you are able and it will always be stable...hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
It helps, but won't a Sable make ME stable - if I'm able and I have cable ... internet service?

...and what about my friend, Mable who is waiting for a Sable for her stable when McPherson is able?

If you walk into a room and see TWO Sables on the table, are you able to decide which one belongs in your stable, or would both from that table be welcome in your stable if you have room and are able?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-06-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Oh guru of all things CF, do you find a difference in the low end between a current Sable and a Kevin Michael version?
Old 05-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfishkind View Post
Congratulations on your Sable!

If you're interested in making more room around the house and want to rid of any "tinny," "weird neck" guitars, there may be a market.

I’ll give it some time and thought. My X20 is an amber Opus with the Bband pickup and Hiscox case.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Oh guru of all things CF, do you find a difference in the low end between a current Sable and a Kevin Michael version?
There was a Keven Michael Sable?? I missed it
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-07-2020, 02:05 AM

Quote:
There was a Keven Michael Sable?? I missed it
I found some interview where the McPherson guy said, very clearly, there was zero difference in build between the Kevin Michael and McPherson versions. That was a few years back though.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

My own experience was that I didn't like the early Kevin Michael guitars, but now own a couple of McPherson carbon fiber instruments. Also, there was a poster in this sub-forum who said that McPherson would not put their name on a product until they were happy with the quality and that they made many changes to the Kevin Michael version before putting their name on it. That matches my own experience.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-07-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
My own experience was that I didn't like the early Kevin Michael guitars, but now own a couple of McPherson carbon fiber instruments. Also, there was a poster in this sub-forum who said that McPherson would not put their name on a product until they were happy with the quality and that they made many changes to the Kevin Michael version before putting their name on it. That matches my own experience.

Tony
I agree the early KM I owed ( 1st edition) was not up to the same quality as my 2018 Touring. Each year they made bracing changed to the neck, soundboard and fit and finish. I sold my KM after about 6 months and my Touring was purchased after playing in 2018. I found the sound broader in range and the fit and finish better.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Question:

Who is Kevin Michael?

I couldn't find any info on 'him' on McPherson site, or through the all-knowing Google, or anywhere.

Was he a fictitious 'designer' that they marketed the guitar under because they didn't want to sully the McPherson name?

Is he Kevin Michael Clark? If so, it never mentions his affiliation with McPherson on his website or on the McPherson website....and Kevin Michael Clark does not have any carbon fiber guitars in his model lineup.

Happy for more info from the folks here who might know!

Last edited by Kamurah; 05-07-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Question:

Who is Kevin Michael?

I couldn't find any info on 'him' on McPherson site, or through the all-knowing Google, or anywhere.

Was he a fictitious 'designer' that they marketed the guitar under because they didn't want to sully the McPherson name?

Is he Kevin Michael Clark? If so, it never mentions his affiliation with McPherson on his website or on the McPherson website....and Kevin Michael Clark does not have any carbon fiber guitars in his model lineup.

Happy for more info from the folks here who might know!
Interesting that I just did a google search on "Kevin Michael guitars" and a lot of places selling his carbon fiber guitars came up, but not the site I was looking for from back when he was building wood guitars and included a bio on him.

Hmmmm. Is he erased from history? Expiring (or is it perspiring) minds want to know.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-07-2020, 09:49 AM

I thought they also tweaked the bracing on the newer Sables. I either read that or watched it on a video but can't quite remember.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Here’s the video: https://youtu.be/Ad-e6Q5lxvc
Interesting info around 2:35 and 5:00

The differences are cantilevered neck height (cosmetic to please MCPherson fans ), improved bracing and stiffer neck.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Another difference I remember is that the McPherson carbon fiber guitars just seem more finished or polished than the Michael Kelly guitars did. It was a number of years ago, so I may not be remembering as clearly as I would like.

I do clearly remember thinking at the time that I was glad to have my Cargos, because I had no interest in the Michael Kelly guitars. There was something about them that I really just didn't care for.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber