The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-04-2020, 09:48 PM

Default NGD: My McPherson Sable arrived! Some quick thoughts and comparisons to Emerald and

UPS found my lost Sable and got it to me today. Here are some initial thoughts:

The dealer put on a fresh set of Martin Authentics, but medium gauge (13s). I've never played 13s. These days I play a mix of 12s and 11s, depending on the guitar and my particular use for that guitar. The arthritis has become a problem.

13s - I wanted to hear and feel the guitar before I put 12s on. I hadn't played one in years, and that one was the Kevin Michael version. I remembered being blown away by the bass, but the new one is not a bass canon like I remembered. Still, it sounded warm and balanced.

12s - I put on a set of Martin Lifespan SPs I had. I normally play phospher bronze, but I figure this guitar will be sitting out and getting some nice play time, so I put on the 80/20s. The string tension feels good, the sound is warm and balanced. I then plugged it in and wow, the pickup is hot! TONS of bottom end, but easily controlled with an IR or eq. I have the Baggs UST and frankly, I'm very happy with it. I tried using some Worship Tutorials demo D35 and McPherson IRs. Very nice, but the pickup is great on its own.

I decided to compare the Sable directly with my X20 and my Rainsong Shorty SG and played them while my wife listened with her eyes closed. We both thought the Sable was the best sounding, followed closely by the Rainsong. My wife referred to the X20 as "tinny." I have to agree. The X20 neck always felt a bit weird to me. I like big necks, but there's something about the shape that feels foreign. I love the size and shape of the Sable neck. Same with the Rainsong.

I like the accesories that came with the McPherson. Very nice touches. The guitar built quality looks to be perfect. The gold evo frets look great and the sound with them is still warm and balanced.

I'm wondering whether I can get bigger bottom end with phospher bronze strings, but it will be awhile until I need to change the Lifespan SPs.

I'd say the Sable is my favorite CF guitar so far. I also used to have a dread size Rainsong with the N2 neck (didn't really like that neck) which I sold when I got the Emerald. I currently have an Overhead 660 which has been my favorite travel guitar.

Anyway, more play time tomorrow. I'd love to hear your comments on my initial impressions.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the write up ! I'm surprised to hear your X20 sounds "tinny" though, that's something I am sensitive to and I have never heard my X20 sound tinny. What strings are on it? I'd love to try a Sable, hopefully I can find one soon.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Sable! Just think - a Sable in the Stable.

It has been interesting reading the various discussions and NGD reports on the Sable. One aspect of McPherson that stands out is that they seem to have resolved whatever manufacturing issues would otherwise adversely affect consistent high quality, some time ago. Their attention to the little details really is noticeable in their products, both wood and carbon fiber.

I find it interesting that some folks are finding the Sable to sound "thin" while others think it sounds balanced and full (which is also my impression). Maybe it depends on the strings, playing style, or ???. Whatever it is, it seems different for different players.

Not having heard a new Emerald yet, I have no opinion or point of comparison, though I truly suspect my reaction will simply that Sables and equivalent Emerald sound different, just like Martin and Taylor guitars sound different. Then, it becomes a question of what the player prefers.

For a while now, the Sable has been my "go to" guitar. This, I think was initially largely because during the winter, I don't want to take my wood guitars out of their cases and I don't need to, considering my collection of carbon fiber instruments.

However, during that time, the Sable has "grown on me" such that it just feels comfortable and I see little reason to play something else.

I have only plugged my Sable in once or twice just to make sure that the pickup works fine. Since I am not playing out currently, I see no reason to plug the guitar in. Personally, the less paraphernalia involved with playing solo acoustic guitar, the better I like it. Some folks like to plug in and fool around with all manner of gadgets, but I prefer the simplicity of just the guitar. So as far as I am concerned, the pickup that was installed at the factory is fine with me.

I do hope that those who have purchased Sables recently will have a similar experience of the guitar growing on you and becoming your "go to" instrument of choice. With an all carbon fiber guitar, if you like the way it plays and sounds when it is relatively new, then you will like it equally well 20 years from now because there won't be any parts such as the neck, shifting and requiring adjustment. Also, since there is none of that fabled "opening up", it will sound in the future as it does now. I believe this should be true for any true carbon fiber guitar, not just the Sable.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-05-2020, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'm wondering whether I can get bigger bottom end with phospher bronze strings, but it will be awhile until I need to change the Lifespan SPs.
I currently have Elixir Phosphor Bronze Medium on my Sable, and the guitar has more bass than any of the small/medium body guitars I've played to date. If you want more than that the only composite guitar I can think of would be a X30... Finding the Holy Grail is a never ending quest
Old 05-05-2020, 06:22 AM

Congrats on the Sable, should serve you well. I have changed strings only once and put on Elixir PB lights, and found I didn’t care for the sound. Having read of Tony using HD lights, and having a partial HD light set on hand, I changed out the E and B strings from the HD set to the “medium” and it is much better. I may go back to mediums or even try a set of SCGC parabolic strings next. It seems CF instruments are more sensitive to various strings and makes experimenting fun.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:00 AM

Congrats on the Sable she's a great guitar! I'm very happy with the bass response on the Sable. I can just vaguely remember the stock Elixir 80/20 mediums as I broke the high 'e' when I removed the element pickup which was on the first day I received it. I then put D'addario nickel bronze (bluegrass gauge) and those were nice too. Than I gave Elixir phosphor bronze light nanos a shot and that's what it still on it now. I think I preferred the punchiness of the 80/20's on this guitar so I have some on order. Depends on what you're looking for I guess but the Sable seems to take different gauges and alloys very well. Good luck with the string hunt.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Same here, I have Elixir phosphor bronze installed now but I’ll come back to 80/20 as soon as they’re dead.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Since your new Sable is a ... honeycomb, we can't let this thread go by without the HONEYCOMB SONG!!

Now, every time you play that guitar, this is what will either come out of it or go through your head like an earworm ... HONEYCOMB!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-05-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Since your new Sable is a ... honeycomb, *****

Tony
Nope, it's the regular weave. I honestly didn't care for the honeycomb or basketweave looks. Just a matter of personal taste. Might even change my mind if I see one in person.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Nope, it's the regular weave. I honestly didn't care for the honeycomb or basketweave looks. Just a matter of personal taste. Might even change my mind if I see one in person.
Who was it that got the honeycomb then? I can't keep track anymore.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Who was it that got the honeycomb then? I can't keep track anymore.

Tony
Honeycomb weave here! I'll be the first to admit the pics and videos of the honeycomb didn't wow me. However, in person it looks amazing. Just my 2 cents. EVO frets were a must.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:43 AM

You and I may be the latest Sable owners here....Congrats!!!

Thank you for the comparisons between the McP, Rainsong, and Emerald! I like the look of the X20 a lot (!), but in the end, the sound is what won me over to the Sable. It would be cool if McPherson offered as much customization on the Sable as Emerald does in their shop.

I also initially thought the the regular weave looked the most classy...but the honeycomb is starting to grow on me. No regrets though! Was also slightly concerned my wife would think the guitar was hideous (as in, "You paid HOW MUCH for THAT???")....but no worries, she thinks it is as beautiful as I do.

I agree 100% with you on the neck...it feels pretty incredible.

I have been playing the 13's over the past couple of days, but I really think I am going to switch out for some 12's or even try some 11's...so your feedback is really valuable.

Hope you continue to enjoy the Sable!
Old 05-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Honeycomb weave here! I'll be the first to admit the pics and videos of the honeycomb didn't wow me. However, in person it looks amazing. Just my 2 cents. EVO frets were a must.
Well then, GuitarLuva, consider that honeycomb song devoted to and your new Sable!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-06-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
You and I may be the latest Sable owners here....Congrats!!!

Thank you for the comparisons between the McP, Rainsong, and Emerald! I like the look of the X20 a lot (!), but in the end, the sound is what won me over to the Sable. It would be cool if McPherson offered as much customization on the Sable as Emerald does in their shop.

I also initially thought the the regular weave looked the most classy...but the honeycomb is starting to grow on me. No regrets though! Was also slightly concerned my wife would think the guitar was hideous (as in, "You paid HOW MUCH for THAT???")....but no worries, she thinks it is as beautiful as I do.

I agree 100% with you on the neck...it feels pretty incredible.

I have been playing the 13's over the past couple of days, but I really think I am going to switch out for some 12's or even try some 11's...so your feedback is really valuable.

Hope you continue to enjoy the Sable!
...and may there be many more.

Back in the 1960s, there was a Dodge ad "put a Dodge in your garage". We can update that to "put a Sable in your Stable".

Tony

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-06-2020, 02:33 PM

I love wordplay.....

Slogan for anyone who gets down over weather / humidity playing havoc with their acoustic:

"Before you go departin' your Marten (Martin), put a Sable in your stable!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber