The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I have a seinhieser e835, it blows any sure mic I've ever owned (and I have 3 58s and 2 57s) off the planet.

far more lively, and dynamic. costs about the same.
I've seen this mic described the exact way on another web page while I'm looking into this. Does anyone else agree?
Old 05-01-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I've seen this mic described the exact way on another web page while I'm looking into this. Does anyone else agree?
My friend's band hosts an open mic and they have 835s. Everyone sounds great through them.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

A lot of folks prefer the e835, and I played in a church for years where that's all they used, and they sound quite good. Can't really go wrong with either, though the SM58 will require more gain than the e835.

A straight A/B that does a fair comparison of these needs to have more gain on the Shure and an EQ tweak on one or both because they do have different sensitivities and response curves. So, if you just plug one in and then the other, the Sennheiser will sound louder and brighter, and for many folks, that's all they need to hear.

Personally (for *my* voice), the SM58 works very well, and mics with a little high end bump that might "cut through" better tend to get sibilant.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM

Anyone who is considering the SM58 should order the Behringer XM8500 which is their SM58 equivalent. You'll be glad you did...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cal-microphone
Old 05-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…It's only for fun at home. Thanks for your help.
Hi lowrider…
I'm going to discuss a different option or two.

Why not pack your amp to music store and borrow some mics to try them out with your amp in a practice room before buying anything?

Or borrow mics from friends or invite them over to your place to bring a mic or two and play around (after shelter-in-place goes away)?

Many people who think they'll just plug in the mic and away-we-go have never faced the challenge/joys of pointing an amp at yourself for fun and then having the reality of feedback set in.

Not saying it cannot be done, but it's you, and it's your-guitars, in-your-house, not us with-our-amps/guitar/mics/in-our-house that matters.

Have fun exploring…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-01-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Anyone who is considering the SM58 should order the Behringer XM8500 which is their SM58 equivalent. You'll be glad you did...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cal-microphone
I second this. I find the SM58 very sibilant by the time I have EQ'd the treble to where I want it. The Behringer doesn't have that problem and needs less EQ to get a clear non-muddy sound. It's also more feedback resistant than the Shure - I've had them side-by-side so I know what I'm talking about. The only downside of the Behringer is SLIGHTLY more handling noise (only slightly - still very reasonable) but for us as guitarists it doesn't really matter as our mics stay on stands nearly all the time.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

When I was looking for my amp, I saw that Behringer had either a bad reputation or reliability issues or maybe a bad reputation because of reliability issues. But looking online, everyone seems to love this mic.

There doesn't seem to be much to lose; $23 on Amazon and if I don't like it, all I have to is take it to the UPS store for a refund.

It's pretty tempting, but, would I be selling myself short with the Behringer mic?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:50 AM

There are lots of options, most already suggested up thread. I'm no expert, but I've read and listened to experts and this is my summary of what I've learned from them.

The SM57 is a classic, and a perennial "if I had to use only one mic for everything" or "first mic" choice. As to the pop or plosive issues, this depends one's singing technique to some degree. The pictures above of large stage live singers using an SM57 indicate that it's not impossible to sing into a plain SM57. The SM58 built in screen may take a bit off the top end.

If one wants to use the SM57 for vocals a external pop screen is a better protection for plosives than the SM58's ball screen. And if you can also use such a, external, arm mounted, screen to help enforce proper distance to reduce the proximity effect (increased lower end when you sing right next to the end of the mic).

For outdoors use (wind screen) there's a Shure foam screen for the SM57. It probably also helps some with pops/plosives.

The SM57 is also about durable as rock. And as a standard has a reliable resale value.

I'm trying one of the Sennheiser's mentioned above as a vocal mic. It seems nice for what it is sonically, though heavy (a issue sometimes when you want it out on the end of mic arm). Has anyone thought about using the Sennheiser E609 as a vocal mic? It seems to be thought of as a mic for guitar cabs (as is the SM57), but it's very lightweight and small in size, two things that might make it a good "first mic." for someone like the OP.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I was looking for my amp, I saw that Behringer had either a bad reputation or reliability issues or maybe a bad reputation because of reliability issues. But looking online, everyone seems to love this mic.

There doesn't seem to be much to lose; $23 on Amazon and if I don't like it, all I have to is take it to the UPS store for a refund.

It's pretty tempting, but, would I be selling myself short with the Behringer mic?
Hi lr

The Behringer XM-8500 is voiced somewhere between the SM-57 and SM-58, and is a rugged and decent vocal mic. I keep a couple in travel bags.

We used to have one at church we used as a talk-back mic (booth to monitors) and one night it got mixed up with one of the singer's SM-58s, and nobody knew the difference.

We auditioned it, and ordered 3 for $60 and used them for years interchangeably with SM-58s.

Recently (past few months) Behringer is now making copies of the SM-57 and SM-58, which they have just inverted the Shure numbers on. I think they are even copying the Shure 87-A.

There are online YouTube comparisons (of varying quality).

I can only speak to the usefulness of the XM-8500 as rugged, dependable, 'average' vocal mics (if you consider SM-58 average quality).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I have a friend who owns a music store and sells Behringer equipment along with other lines. He told me that anything with a power amp as part of the design could be hit or miss. Anything else, including electronics, microphones, etc. are well-designed and solidly built.

I purchased a couple of XM8500 mics to modify into right angle special purpose mics and I can assure you they are very well-built microphones. I was a bit shocked to see how solidly these are built when I cut them up.

Sweetwater provides an extra year on the warranty free of charge if you're worried about your $23.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:05 PM

The SM58 is a good vocal mic. You can also use it for pounding nails (just kidding!).

I prefer the Sennheiser e835 for my voice, and it's in the same price range.

You can usually find used ones on Craigslist for about $50-60. I just picked up two e835s in as-new condition for $50 ea.

If you want a bargain mic that is almost as good as the SM58, look at the Behringer XM8500. They sell new for about $22-23. I keep a couple around as backups.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

OK, I ordered the XM8500 with a stand and cable from Amazon. It will be here next week but my amp won't be here until I get it from my other house sometime around the 15th. Such trouble, but it will be a lot of fun once I get it together.

Thanks for all your suggestions. If I like the Behringer, I just might get the sl75c and use them both together, one for guitar and one for voice.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Whoo-Hoo, the Behringer mic worked wonderfully for picking up the guitar. I tried it briefly yesterday with my MartinX and this morning I played for two hours with my J-40. It's great to hear the guitar so clearly while I'm singing.

This afternoon I'll try plugging in my Road Series that has a JJB and singing into the mic. I love being able to hear myself

This is great! Thanks for all your advice. Next up, I'll get a Behringer sl75c and I'll be ready to take my show on the road!
Old 05-16-2020, 04:08 PM

Me and Dave Rawlings still use SM57's for guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-16-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Now I sang with the mic and the guitar plugged it. It’s a blast. I have to figure out the right distance for the mic. I think I like it better close but I also tried ot further away. I also found that on songs that I’m still working on, worrying about the mic messed up my playing. I think I’ll be able to get over that, this is a lot of fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification