The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Heck no! I have a Strat that I bought for $80 new a couple years ago. I had planned to use it to learn how to do my own repairs and modifications. That little guitar turned out to be so good that I turned around and bought a case for it that actually cost me a little more than the guitar did. Now I have an appreciation for Stratocasters that I never did and if mine isn't a "good" one then my wallet doesn't really want me to know what a "good" one is. I love my little surf green strat.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:14 AM

I also have an early 90s Jazz Bass from back in the day when they still said "Fender" on the head stock. I got the bass, how to play book, incredible gig bag by today's standards, practice amp, and 3 free lessons for around $125 after taxes. Still have it today and I would put it up against any MIM and some American J-Basses that they manufacture today. It has me spoiled and I couldn't live with the modern Squier basses I've picked up and quickly put back down. Makes me wonder if any of you long time strat players can tell me if the modern Squier strats stack up to their big brothers from Fender?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
I also have an early 90s Jazz Bass from back in the day when they still said "Fender" on the head stock. I got the bass, how to play book, incredible gig bag by today's standards, practice amp, and 3 free lessons for around $125 after taxes. Still have it today and I would put it up against any MIM and some American J-Basses that they manufacture today. It has me spoiled and I couldn't live with the modern Squier basses I've picked up and quickly put back down. Makes me wonder if any of you long time strat players can tell me if the modern Squier strats stack up to their big brothers from Fender?
Honestly, the guitars sound really good, but I don't like the neck finish on the Squiers I've played. I haven't played any of the Classic Vibe line. The regular Squier Strat is not bad, but you do get what you pay for--lesser electronics, pickups, and hardware.

A buddy of mine recently bought a Squier Jazzmaster. It is really a great guitar, and the neck finish is fine. But the hardware is cheap, the pickups not up to his experience and standards, the wiring and pots all thin and cheap.

It is still a fantastic guitar--I don't mean to disparage the Squier. Once my bud made mods, he had a fantastic guitar out of it.

I'm partial to the features of the American Standard and American Professional models; I'm so happy with my Strat, Tele, Precision Bass, and Jazz Bass; I have no desire to get any of the deluxe or CS versions.

The fact is, some players look down on my guitar because they've bought an even higher grade Fender, and then some players look at the higher grade Fender, and they've bought a Suhr or some other more expensive model.

So don't let cork sniffing worry you.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:01 AM

I wouldn't buy anything that made me feel like I had to hide the name. It is what it is - "A rose by any other name", etc. I have 2 Squier Teles, and they are both decent guitars. One is a CV, and it's better than decent, it's actually good. As with anything else, if you like it, why worry about what it's called?
Old 04-30-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Heck no! I have a Strat that I bought for $80 new a couple years ago. I had planned to use it to learn how to do my own repairs and modifications. That little guitar turned out to be so good that I turned around and bought a case for it that actually cost me a little more than the guitar did. Now I have an appreciation for Stratocasters that I never did and if mine isn't a "good" one then my wallet doesn't really want me to know what a "good" one is. I love my little surf green strat.
That's a cool short story.

Through the years I had bought 3 or 4 Fender Strats. Bonded with non of them. The guitar that sent me down this recent electric path was/is a Yamaha Pacifica. ... $300. Love that guitar.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
That blue Tele with the black pick guard is gorgeous!
Thanks. That's actually a Squier CV50's Tele with a GFS Daphne Blue body, but with the CV50's neck, pickups, and hardware put back on.

That original CV50's Tele weighed in right at 10 lbs so I decided to order a lightweight Tele body to get the weight down. My tech put it all together and I couldn't be happier. It still sounds the same, yet weighs almost half of what it did before.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
All four of the above Squiers are just wonderful to look at. I do however keep finding myself drawn to that ubiquitous sunburst Telecaster. Is it the body binding, or that dark, dark fretboard? Whatever it is, like Steve McQueen, its the king of cool.
Attachment 36902
Thanks, man. Yeah, this 2010 Squier CV Custom has one of the darkest rosewood boards I've seen. It plays and sounds great as well.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Man, that bound Classic Bound Telecaster of yours is something else.
Thanks, S&W! Yeah, I really love that one. Definitely a keeper.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Have you taken off the squire logo on the headstock?
Are you embarrassed by owning a squire?
Just wondering,I have one and its a wonderful guitar
David
Hmm. Why bother removing it, I could just cover it up with a Teisco Del Ray sticker?

Seriously though, inexpensive guitars are generally better made, more durable, and sound closer to "standard" models than ever before.

I'm embarrassed sometimes by my playing yes, but not the guitar. For some I've held, I wish their necks were a little beefier and wider. With classic Fender designs any issues with the less expensive electronics are usually easy to fix/upgrade.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-30-2020, 01:39 PM

Hey Mick - great looking Squier! Those MIJ '80s guitars are collectible now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblue View Post
Absolutely not at all embarrassed by the Squier logo, I bought mine new in '85 ('57 Re-issue Strat) & it was manufactured in '83 so got enough vintage of it's own now.

It was one of the JV series, prior to that the same plant was putting together Japanese built Fenders labelled on the h/s as "Fender by Squier" which then changed to "Squier by Fender" (funnily enough).

All the hardware is from the same origin as American built Fenders at the time right up to the Fullerton pickups. It's a great guitar with classic strat tone & playability. I'm not parting with it anytime soon.

<<snippet pics>>
Old 04-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I've found a wiiiide range of quality among the Squiers I've owned and played over the decades - manufactured in Japan, Korea, Mexico, India, Indonesia, China and the US.

Some were barely playable, mostly due to irregular necks and frets - and miserable tuners. Some were absolutely beautiful instruments particularly the older Koreans.

Out of elitism/embarrassment, would I remove the headstock logo from a Squier I continue to play? Nope!

Did I pass on buying/owning some that were simply sub-standard? Yup! But that's because of the quality (or lack thereof), not a 1-inch decal.

I try not to be a "brand-nazi," playing and gigging with what handles and sounds the best to me. In fact, I sold a Gibson Les Paul because it bothered me that my Marquis LP was a superior guitar in every way. And (after custom-shaping a sweet low profile Graphtech bridge saddle), my Korean Fender acoustic sounds and plays just as nicely as my Larrivee worth 5-6 times as much (if not better for certain styles).

If someone notices what they deem and "inferior" brand of anything I'm playing, it is my hope that they also decide I sound pretty good anyway. No? Screw 'em. Life is too short to worry about other people's preconceived concepts regarding music and instruments.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:19 PM

I did, but only because I replaced the whole neck.

The Squier JM I bought was so good I wanted it to have a custom "boatneck" like my tele.

But the neckpkate still says Squier and I'll happily tell anybody who'll listen that it's only a $250 guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-30-2020, 06:47 PM

Absolutely not at all embarrassed by the Squier logo, I bought mine new in '85 ('57 Re-issue Strat) & it was manufactured in '83 so got enough vintage of it's own now.

It was one of the JV series, prior to that the same plant was putting together Japanese built Fenders labelled on the h/s as "Fender by Squier" which then changed to "Squier by Fender" (funnily enough).

All the hardware is from the same origin as American built Fenders at the time right up to the Fullerton pickups. It's a great guitar with classic strat tone & playability. I'm not parting with it anytime soon.

I had an 83 JV Strat, maple neck, 57 vintage with american pickups, bought new in early 84, it was fiesta red, but people regarded it as salmon pink. I sold it around 10 years ago for twice as much as I paid for it, although now wish I had hung onto it, having gigged it and almost worn it out over many years.

There are lots of great Squiers, including my gigging buddy's later 80's Strat that is twice the weight of my former lightweight (basswood?) JV, and certainly the classic vibe Telecasters - why one earth did I not get one of those custom Teles? Some great Squier basses too.

I don't have a Squier now but I wouldn't remove the logo if I did.

Last edited by KCharlesD; 05-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I have Squire CVC tele that everything except the body has been replaced on, including the neck and even the bolt plate on the back says Fender. But, if I liked a Squire as-is, I would not worry over the name on the headstock.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 05-01-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:07 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I've found a wiiiide range of quality among the Squiers I've owned and played over the decades - manufactured in Japan, Korea, Mexico, India, Indonesia, China and the US.

Some were barely playable, mostly due to irregular necks and frets - and miserable tuners. Some were absolutely beautiful instruments particularly the older Koreans.

Out of elitism/embarrassment, would I remove the headstock logo from a Squier I continue to play? Nope!

Did I pass on buying/owning some that were simply sub-standard? Yup! But that's because of the quality (or lack thereof), not a 1-inch decal.

I try not to be a "brand-nazi," playing and gigging with what handles and sounds the best to me. In fact, I sold a Gibson Les Paul because it bothered me that my Marquis LP was a superior guitar in every way. And (after custom-shaping a sweet low profile Graphtech bridge saddle), my Korean Fender acoustic sounds and plays just as nicely as my Larrivee worth 5-6 times as much (if not better for certain styles).

If someone notices what they deem and "inferior" brand of anything I'm playing, it is my hope that they also decide I sound pretty good anyway. No? Screw 'em. Life is too short to worry about other people's preconceived concepts regarding music and instruments.
This! It's so good I just had to repeat it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars