The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Just an update... I think it's a combination of getting used to the amp and the amp breaking in, but I really like the sound of most of the presets now too. And, with a few pedals in front of it, I can really tweak the sounds.

It's pretty sweet.
Good timing on the update. These amps have been out of stock on the major dealers websites for a while. Many show a shipping date of April/May. I'm interested in the 20 watt.

I'm happy to hear your last few words.... "It's pretty sweet." That's what we needed to hear.!!
Old 04-18-2020, 04:38 PM

I have no experience with the amp in question, but I've never had a bad Yamaha product, and I have many: guitars, keyboard, powered mixer, guitar effects, stereo equipment, a motorcycle. Every one of those products is well made and performs impeccably, in some cases for many years. Glad to hear it's working out well.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I got tired of waiting for the way out of stock 30ii and picked up a basic thr10ii it's a great little amp. Of course the backordered 30 has now just shipped so I will compare the two and decide which I want to stick to. The only small thing I don't like vs the old one is they went to a 3.5 mm headphone jack vs 1/4 inch

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-18-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I got tired of waiting for the way out of stock 30ii and picked up a basic thr10ii it's a great little amp. Of course the backordered 30 has now just shipped so I will compare the two and decide which I want to stick to. The only small thing I don't like vs the old one is they went to a 3.5 mm headphone jack vs 1/4 inch
How do you know the 30 has shipped.?? From where.??
Old 04-20-2020, 01:31 PM

I just ordered a THR10ii from GC. Supposedly it was in stock. Cannot wait to test it out!
Old 04-20-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I managed to snag it on Amazon and actually at a slightly lower price as well. I ordered back in November and they were originally saying a January delivery. That time came and went and then they gave me a notice to say we don't know when this is coming do you still want to keep the order?

Since I couldn't find anyone else stocking it I just kept the order open. A week ago they gave me the updated shipping notice and it is out for delivery right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
How do you know the 30 has shipped.?? From where.??

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-20-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

The 10ii (not wireless) has kept in stock mostly for the last few months. It is the 30ii and 10ii wireless that have been hard to come by
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I just ordered a THR10ii from GC. Supposedly it was in stock. Cannot wait to test it out!
Old 04-21-2020, 09:06 AM

I just got my THR30ii a few days ago and I really like it. The wireless transmitter should arrive tomorrow. The sound is wonderful and it just couldn’t be more convenient. About the only thing I don’t like is the way it sounds as a Bluetooth speaker. There are no tweeters so it is missing the sparkly highs. Having no tweeters sounds better on the guitars though so I am ok with that. It sounds great on acoustic as well, especially with the mic modeling.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I managed to snag it on Amazon and actually at a slightly lower price as well. I ordered back in November and they were originally saying a January delivery. That time came and went and then they gave me a notice to say we don't know when this is coming do you still want to keep the order?

Since I couldn't find anyone else stocking it I just kept the order open. A week ago they gave me the updated shipping notice and it is out for delivery right now.
Sweet. Let us know.... Good for you.!!
Old 04-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The 10ii (not wireless) has kept in stock mostly for the last few months. It is the 30ii and 10ii wireless that have been hard to come by
Correct.!!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just got my THR30ii a few days ago and I really like it. The wireless transmitter should arrive tomorrow. The sound is wonderful and it just couldn’t be more convenient. About the only thing I don’t like is the way it sounds as a Bluetooth speaker. There are no tweeters so it is missing the sparkly highs. Having no tweeters sounds better on the guitars though so I am ok with that. It sounds great on acoustic as well, especially with the mic modeling.
What acoustic guitar/pickup system did you play through it?
Old 04-21-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Sweet. Let us know.... Good for you.!!
It showed up from Amazon no problem. Definitely like the extra top panel controls. So far so good. The size difference to the 10ii is manageable although it is quite a bit bigger than the THR5A that was on my desk before it.

Amazon still had a few in stock when I looked. Edit and now they don't
Old 04-21-2020, 09:17 PM

Default New Amp - Yamaha THR 30ii (short impressions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
What acoustic guitar/pickup system did you play through it?

I tried it on two systems:

1) My Godin Doyle Dykes Signature Multiac which has a dual system LR Baggs LB6 plus a Lyric mic.

2) My Martin D15M which has a Schertler AG6/S-Mic pickup.

With either guitar pickup, the real mic plus mic modeling is too much, but I am impressed at how well the mic modeling works with the mic turned off on either system. The mic model on the Classic bank is the one I like the most.

I was really surprised at how good the mic modeling sounds on the Shertler AG6 with no S-Mic. Usually mic modeling doesn’t do much for a magnetic pickup, but Classic mic model on the magnetic pickup actually sounds really good!

There are no tweeters on this mic, so the sound is similar to what you get with tweeter-less amps like the the AER and Roland AC series (which is very good although I do like a tweeter for dual system pickups with internal mics). It certainly makes sense on an amp that also does electrics. Just Google reviews of the original Line6 Spider Amps to see why electric guitar amps shouldn’t have tweeters!
Old 04-22-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I tried it on two systems:

1) My Godin Doyle Dykes Signature Multiac which has a dual system LR Baggs LB6 plus a Lyric mic.

2) My Martin D15M which has a Schertler AG6/S-Mic pickup.

With either guitar pickup, the real mic plus mic modeling is too much, but I am impressed at how well the mic modeling works with the mic turned off on either system. The mic model on the Classic bank is the one I like the most.

I was really surprised at how good the mic modeling sounds on the Shertler AG6 with no S-Mic. Usually mic modeling doesn’t do much for a magnetic pickup, but Classic mic model on the magnetic pickup actually sounds really good!

There are no tweeters on this mic, so the sound is similar to what you get with tweeter-less amps like the the AER and Roland AC series (which is very good although I do like a tweeter for dual system pickups with internal mics). It certainly makes sense on an amp that also does electrics. Just Google reviews of the original Line6 Spider Amps to see why electric guitar amps shouldn’t have tweeters!
Thank you! These are answers I've been looking for. I have a couple guitars with multiple pickups so this is good to know.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

One thing I can add is that these amps sound awesome through a nice set of headphones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars