The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Drifting off the Sable discussion perhaps, but I find the talk about "the soul" of an instrument interesting. If that were the case, then finding a guitar with"soul" should make me sound better on it, right? You already know where I'm going with this, don't you? I sound equally mediocre on all my guitars, even though each exhibits a different tone. To my old rock 'n roll ears, there isn't just one tone that is the ideal; if that were the case, why have more than one guitar?

In function, each of my guitars is probably better than I deserve... but I enjoy playing each one. Sure, I make comparisons, and on any given day "the one" changes. I have never gotten into the cork-sniffing comparisons (wood sniffing?), because I could pick up any of the guitars I own and play out with it tonight.

I believe our fingers and ears train us: when we travel and I take one guitar along, I tend to miss the variety... but when we get home, the guitars that didn't go with us don't sound as good to me as the one that did come along.

And then my ears and fingers appreciate the variety again. Since I got that first Emerald, it has been an Emerald that makes each trip with us.

Is the Sable the best carbon fiber guitar ever? Probably to some Sable owners, but I didn't think so the couple times I've played one. Biased ears. That's why I tend to take guitar opinions with a grain of salt. Fortunately, I am a salt water kinda guy. Are carbon fiber guitars better than wood? Or, vice versa?

I made my living in photography for 32 years. I used to chuckle when people would ask, "What kind of camera did you use to take that photo?" Or even better: "How long did it take to take that photo?"

About 25 years.

I have been playing guitar longer than that... I really should be better.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Drifting off the Sable discussion perhaps, but I find the talk about "the soul" of an instrument interesting. If that were the case, then finding a guitar with"soul" should make me sound better on it, right? You already know where I'm going with this, don't you? I sound equally mediocre on all my guitars, even though each exhibits a different tone. To my old rock 'n roll ears, there isn't just one tone that is the ideal; if that were the case, why have more than one guitar?

In function, each of my guitars is probably better than I deserve... but I enjoy playing each one. Sure, I make comparisons, and on any given day "the one" changes. I have never gotten into the cork-sniffing comparisons (wood sniffing?), because I could pick up any of the guitars I own and play out with it tonight.

I believe our fingers and ears train us: when we travel and I take one guitar along, I tend to miss the variety... but when we get home, the guitars that didn't go with us don't sound as good to me as the one that did come along.

And then my ears and fingers appreciate the variety again. Since I got that first Emerald, it has been an Emerald that makes each trip with us.

Is the Sable the best carbon fiber guitar ever? Probably to some Sable owners, but I didn't think so the couple times I've played one. Biased ears. That's why I tend to take guitar opinions with a grain of salt. Fortunately, I am a salt water kinda guy. Are carbon fiber guitars better than wood? Or, vice versa?

I made my living in photography for 32 years. I used to chuckle when people would ask, "What kind of camera did you use to take that photo?" Or even better: "How long did it take to take that photo?"

About 25 years.

I have been playing guitar longer than that... I really should be better.
Interesting points. Nothing here to disagree with.

However, I do think we in this forum tend to make life with the guitar much more complex than it needs to be. Before I joined this forum, very few of the guitar-related subjects commonly discussed here ever crossed my mind. I honestly don't believe that my enjoyment of the guitar was any less for that lack of exposure to all the minutia folks seem to be able to conjure up without end or resolution.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-23-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

Drifting further....that quote reminds me of one of the few really good pictures I had taken, a person was looking at it and said, " That's a great picture, you must have a really good camera" what can you say?? Ya gotta laugh. It's now a standard joke between my wife and I.

As far as guitars and soul, I have to admit I have been down that road, I think it's more of a tone thing (ear training?) for me. I don't think most Taylor guitars have any "soul". Which really just means their tone isn't for me. Of course I probably bought 5 of them before I figured that out. LOL
Old 05-27-2020, 01:03 PM

Hi y'all, new member here but long time acoustic player and owner of a Sable for a couple of years. When I bought mine I wanted a guitar that I could travel with, leave outside of the case year round without humidifying, etc. I knew I was going to be happy when the guitar was shipped from Texas to me in New York and it was in tune when it arrived.
That guitar has been all over the place with me and I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't gotten rid of my more traditional wood guitars but the Sable has been heavy in the rotation since the day I got it.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM

Welcome aboard kidjohn! Your experience mirrors that of many of us. I feel the same about my first CF guitar, a Rainsong WS-1000. Choose carbon fiber for the carefree durability and still enjoy the wooden ones. It is a big world with room for both, choose the right tool for the job, insert your metaphor here, etc.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Welcome aboard kidjohn! Your experience mirrors that of many of us. I feel the same about my first CF guitar, a Rainsong WS-1000. Choose carbon fiber for the carefree durability and still enjoy the wooden ones. It is a big world with room for both, choose the right tool for the job, insert your metaphor here, etc.
Same as you guys...I need both to make it all work...carbon is a must!
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidjohn View Post
Hi y'all, new member here but long time acoustic player and owner of a Sable for a couple of years. When I bought mine I wanted a guitar that I could travel with, leave outside of the case year round without humidifying, etc. I knew I was going to be happy when the guitar was shipped from Texas to me in New York and it was in tune when it arrived.
That guitar has been all over the place with me and I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't gotten rid of my more traditional wood guitars but the Sable has been heavy in the rotation since the day I got it.

Cheers!
Welcome to the AGF and in particular the carbon fiber sub forum. I like your wording. I've been sharing the love between all my guitars lately but the Sable is still getting the most attention. I've been putting a lot of thought into thinning the herd. I might keep 1 of my wooden guitars, sell the others and keep the Sable and my 2 Emeralds. I don't need all these guitars there's just not enough love to constantly go around!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber