The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Default Tonedexter

I am considering buying an Earthworks SR40 or SR20 to map/model the Tonedexter with and then use it as a vocal mic with vocal capsule. Does anyone here have experience with these Earthworks mics and is the SR40 worth the price difference? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorCocobolo View Post
I am considering buying an Earthworks SR40 or SR20 to map/model the Tonedexter with and then use it as a vocal mic with vocal capsule. Does anyone here have experience with these Earthworks mics and is the SR40 worth the price difference? Thanks!
I am interested in doing the same. I'm wondering if you went ahead with the SR40 and what your results were when using it to train the ToneDexter?
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 AM

It's always great to have a nice microphone. But the ToneDexter seems to be very tolerant. It tried a lot of microphones from a SM57 to > 4.000,- Neumann M149 and Brauner VMA tube mics and there was not too much difference in the results as soon as you start with a ~ 200,- condenser mic.

Of course, if you can use the new mic for other duties, it is a different story.

I also tried to create wavemaps with the help of a channel strip, in that case a Millennia STT1. The advantage was the EQ in the signal chain. Create a wavemap, then EQ it and use those settings for another wavemap. That had more effect than a different/better mic.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I made a comparison video that includes the EW SR25:

Old 08-11-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
It's always great to have a nice microphone. But the ToneDexter seems to be very tolerant.
The Tonedexter is very tolerant and pretty easy to import your acoustic sound into. There may be better alternatives for blending pickup and mic but they will cost a fortune and will nowhere near as easy to set up. In terms of ease of setup v sound quality I've found nothing that comes close to it.

All the fiddly stuff is done at home. Turn up at a gig and it is pretty much plug in and go.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification