The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-22-2020, 01:39 PM

Default Vintage Gibson Pickguard Replacement t

Hey forum. I have a 30s Gibson l-00 I believe at some point it was in or around a fire. The guard is bubbled and gnarly. Wondering what my options to replace would be.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:47 PM

Do you think it could actually be removed without taking some of the top with it? I also have a 30s L-00 and I dont feel anyone could remove it correctly. It has become "one with top" in a sense by the looks of it.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 PM

The original attachment was to bare wood. A solvent is applied to the celluloid and it is actually melted to the wood. Removing these guards requires care to avoid pulling out chunks of spruce. That means paying attention to the runout in the top. Heating the guard doesn't help. I use a thin spatula.
A replacement guard is usually attached with pressure sensitive adhesive, which requires a smooth nonporous surface. The bare wood must be sealed. This can be done with lacquer, sealer, shellac, or wood glue. I prefer hot hide glue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair