The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-13-2020, 12:58 PM

Default DIT Endpin jack reaming - What do I need?

I have a cheap Yamaha I want to install a soundhole pickup in. What tool(s) do I need to drill out the hole for the guitar cable jack? Is this an east thing to do myself or should I bring it somewhere?

thanks
Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 PM

The proper reamer is not a cheap tool - rather expensive for a one-time use. Drilling is a recipe for potential disaster unless you use a nice sharp Forstner bit and are very careful. Don't use a common twist drill bit. https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...ck_Reamer.html

I would be tempted to take it to a shop and let them do only the drilling part. Then install the pickup and end pin jack yourself. Probably $20 or less for that work and a far smaller chance of problems.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:16 PM

A common tool to use is a step drill.

I usually use standard twist drills, starting with 1/8" or so, then increasing size a step or two at a time till you reach the desired size. I have a 'cello end pin reamer that is the right size to finish the job, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Since it isn't a tapered end pin, you don't really need a tapered hole (i.e. a tapered reamer).
Old 05-13-2020, 01:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

I do use a twist drill for this job. The trick is to do it in a drill press. I turn the table near 90 degrees and clamp the guitar to the table with the headstock solid against the “ground” which I adjust the height of with books. I’ve done this many times w/o mishap, but only with really expensive guitars .
Old 05-13-2020, 04:29 PM

Is the hole just a screw hole from the end pin or is it a large tapered end pin hole? I would not recommend twist drills for a larger hole. I've had a disaster doing that many years ago when I got into this and vowed never to do it again. Maybe it's pore technique on my part but I've never had a problem with a step bit and would feel comfortable using that on the most expensive of guitars.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:34 PM

I use a Forstner bit in a battery hand drill.

I've done several of these, and it's usually where there's already some sort of hole there already. I plug the hole by gluing in a short piece of dowel rod so the Forstner bit has a proper place to start the point.

I cover the end of the instrument with masking tape before drilling the hole. Once a Forstner bit starts properly there's no need for the center point, so the section of dowel that's glued in doesn't need to be very long.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:25 AM

Whilst some people possess the skills to drill an end pin hole with a drill, I am not one of those that endorse it, use a step drill or reamer, twist drills have far too much associated risk of tearing the sides out.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 AM

Is the standard size for the hole 1/2” in diameter?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
You're going to get the usual argument, but 1/2" Forstner bit is what I've always used. (TONS of installs have been done using a 1/2" hole with no problems.)

K&K has sold more than a few pickups and a 1/2" Forstner is recommended in their installation instructions.

(... wait a bit for the counter-point!)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What's your jack diameter? What do installation instructions recommend?
Old 05-14-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
What's your jack diameter? What do installation instructions recommend?
Most likely the diameter is 15/32. As Rudy stated there are thousands of guitars out there with 1/2in holes and they are just fine. Ideally you would want a perfect fit and you can easily find a 15/32 drill bit but don't sweat it if all you have is 1/2, as you stated, it's a cheap Yamaha.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 PM

I’d try it yourself. Cheap instruments are perfect for practicing technique. Make sure the drill speed matches the hole. I *think* you want 3000rpm but it’d be good to check. I could tell you how I know but then ...:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair