The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-29-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Neck reset needed?

Hi,
First of all, I hope everyone is safe out there!
My question is about a Taylor GS that I recently had built. It came with 12's which I have not yet changed.
I had some custom inlay done on the neck which required the neck to be removed. After getting the guitar back I took it to a (I believe it's a gold or platinum) Taylor dealer for a set up.
Everything seems to be perfect and I love the way it plays. However, based on a thread here a few days ago I tuned it down to DGCFAD and placed a capo at the second fret. My thought was that this could possibly make it easier to play as I am having some trouble with the ulnar nerve in my left arm. The problem is there is some buzzing especially on the higher strings which seems to be at pretty much all frets. At normal tuning there doesn't seem to be any problems.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on if this could be that the neck needs adjusting. Could it be a change in string gauge is needed? Or, should I just tune it back to standard and learn to live with the pain in my arm?
Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Thank you
Paul
Old 03-29-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roksbug View Post
My thought was that this could possibly make it easier to play as I am having some trouble with the ulnar nerve in my left arm.
The question that seems obvious to me is whether or not tuning down and putting a capo on helps your left arm. If not, the question of tuning down and using a capo, and the buzzing that results, is irrelevant.

You state that the buzzing is uniform at all frets on the relevant strings. That suggests the strings are too low for the combination of things you have. It then remains to be seen that lowering the tension, using a capo and then raising the strings to eliminate the resulting buzzing gets you anything in terms of the desired relief on your left arm.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
the question of tuning down and using a capo, and the buzzing that results, is irrelevant.
Agreed, the customer now needs the guitar setup for them with those conditions in place

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-30-2020, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll experiment a little bit more.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roksbug View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'll experiment a little bit more.
Seriously, dont experiment with it, take it down to a local guitar tech or luthier and get them to set it up for you for the first time, then you know its right.

For the cost of the guitar the cost of a personal setup is inconsequential, yet the damage you can do attempting and "DIY" yourself can cost in the thousands, I get this stuff daily, people have advised others vee a forum how to do said fix and then its stuffed and it comes to people like me to fix at a serious upgraded price.

There are also lots of success cases, lot of skilled people out there doing their own work, but.... my point is if you need to ask how to do it, you should not really be doing it on such a nice instrument.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Seriously, dont experiment with it, take it down to a local guitar tech or luthier and get them to set it up for you for the first time, then you know its right.

For the cost of the guitar the cost of a personal setup is inconsequential, yet the damage you can do attempting and "DIY" yourself can cost in the thousands, I get this stuff daily, people have advised others vee a forum how to do said fix and then its stuffed and it comes to people like me to fix at a serious upgraded price.

There are also lots of success cases, lot of skilled people out there doing their own work, but.... my point is if you need to ask how to do it, you should not really be doing it on such a nice instrument.

Steve

Thank you Steve.
I wouldn't mess with the neck myself. As soon as the guitar shops open up I will take it down and get them to look into this.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Default A thought

This being a Taylor, unique in the business, I'd make sure that Taylor procedures are followed and only Taylor-approved parts are used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair