The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbelton View Post
When I was a kid, my first acoustic guitar was a Norman B20. At the small shop I bought it, my recollection is that it was among the cheapest solid top acoustics they carried. Even though I had just started playing at the time, I remember the tone being significantly better than the couple I compared against (and my piano teacher mom concurred).

I still have it 25 years later, in part for sentimental reasons and because that thing is great for camping, travel, etc.

Solid, no frills guitars.
I think that's a great way to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifcurmudg View Post
Thank you folks, for all info and advice. I decided to try to get it. Well..., this has probably never happened to any of you, Ha Ha, but I waited too long and it had been sold. Go figure..
Thanks again.
Oh no! Waiting too long and then finding out the guitar has been sold has happened to many of us. Nothing wrong with doing research first though on a guitar you've never heard of.

What's next on your horizon?
Old 05-29-2020, 02:44 PM

Another "fun fact". Norman guitars was originally started by Norman Boucher. As someone already mentioned he sold the company to Robert Godin. Norman Boucher's sons are the owners of Boucher guitars, and oh boy they make some fine guitars.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Another "fun fact". Norman guitars was originally started by Norman Boucher. As someone already mentioned he sold the company to Robert Godin. Norman Boucher's sons are the owners of Boucher guitars, and oh boy they make some fine guitars.
They are ridiculously nice. I had a 000 12 fret and it was as nice a guitar as I've ever had. Right there with so many big name builders in North America.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

About 20 years ago, we bought each of our two sons a Norman B20. A’s has been mentioned, the Norman is one of numerous banners under the Canadian Godin brand. Great value for not a whole lot of coin. They’re still very playable and sound good, but one son’s certainly needs a setup. Imo, the Norman B20 is the equivalent of the Seagull S6, but with a Martinesque headstock (my preference, by far).
Old 05-29-2020, 04:53 PM

I had a Norman B 10 that I bought while in Europe about ten years ago. It was a great guitar for the money and I thought it was very well built. The back was supposed to be cherry laminate which I thought was unusual, but it didn't look like any cherry wood I was familiar with. I thought La Patrie was a sister brand at the time.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Not totally accurate. Boucher Guitars is run by Robin Boucher, a cousin to Claude Boucher (Norman Boucher’s son).

Close enough
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Not totally accurate. Boucher Guitars is run by Robin Boucher, a cousin to Claude Boucher (Norman Boucher’s son).

Close enough
The company is ran by Robin today but was created by Richard and Claude Boucher, Norman's sons. I should've used a different word than owner, though I'm sure they get their cut.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I had a Norman B 10 that I bought while in Europe about ten years ago. It was a great guitar for the money and I thought it was very well built. The back was supposed to be cherry laminate which I thought was unusual, but it didn't look like any cherry wood I was familiar with. I thought La Patrie was a sister brand at the time.
Yes, La Patrie is yet another sister brand to Norman, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie and Godin brand instruments. Last time I saw any, the La Patrie guitars were all nylon stringed instruments.

Which I just confirmed by checking the La Patrie website:

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html

Not all of the La Patries are classical guitars - they make some fusion models, as well - but they do all have nylon strings.

As for the laminated cherry backs and sides, that's a Robert Godin trademark, and quite honestly I think that out of ANY of the guitars that the company makes, the very best-sounding ones have those strong, reflective laminated cherry backs and sides paired with solid western red cedar tops.

Not only are those the best value instruments in the entire product line, but from a musical standpoint I have made direct comparisons between those cedar top cherry guitars to just about every model in every wood combination that they make at any price range and have ALWAYS preferred the sound of the solid cedar/laminated cherry instruments. Every. Single. Time.

That's just my opinion, not necessarily anybody else's, and I know there are many good players who love their spruce-topped/other tonewood Seagulls, and that's great.

But it's the cedar and laminated cherry ones that really truly, absolutely, no kiddin' around sound best to me.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-30-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Yes, La Patrie is part of the Godin family of guitars. I have an Etude model which I bought in 1997. La Patrie makes nylon stringed guitars in Quebec; however, many years ago they also made a few acoustics.

I've only seen/played one acoustic and that was in a pawn shop in Oregon sometime in the past year. I almost bought it but then I would have needed to also get a case to bring it on the plane (3 flights to make it home). A guitar I would have liked to have and it sold quickly.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 AM

Dru,
What's my next horizon? Who knows? Ya never know what is going to pop up. I rule nothing out. The next one might just be "the One".
Old 05-30-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifcurmudg View Post
Dru,
What's my next horizon? Who knows? Ya never know what is going to pop up. I rule nothing out. The next one might just be "the One".
That's the same attitude many of us have. Enjoy what you have, aspire for something that's just out of reach which one day may be, and buy that great guitar when you find it.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That's the same attitude many of us have. Enjoy what you have, aspire for something that's just out of reach which one day may be, and buy that great guitar when you find it.

That’s a great philosophy, and it has often worked for me! All the guitars I have were wanted and came along at the right time - apart from the Ibanez RG350MDZ which just came along at the right time.

I’ve never tried a Norman though I know of their reputation as decent no-frills guitars!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion