The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I played a Martin with a Richlite fretboard in a shop before I knew what it was. I really liked it - as much as anything I played that day and more than some. It wasn’t until I was home later, looking over specs online, that the guitar I was thinking of did NOT have an ebony board. So I guess I tricked myself into being totally open to the stuff. I’ve never owned a guitar with a Richlite board, but it would never be a factor against buying a particular guitar.

I do have a carbon fiber guitar I really love, but when it was my only acoustic, I did sort of miss the feel and aesthetic of wood. So now I have one CF and one wood acoustic. Love em both, but when I pick up to wood guitar I’m really aware of the feel of the wooden neck and I really REALLY am happy to have it. But it’s the back of the neck that I notice in my hand, not the fretboard. My wood guitar has a rosewood board, but I’d be every bit as happy with ebony, or Richlite...

-Ray
Old 11-09-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I don't care if Richlite is better than wood. I want wood.
That's my opinion as well.

Some synthetics are better than leather. Maybe. But I prefer leather, too.

I like bone handle Case knives, too.

And cotton.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
Nick
Old 11-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
Nick
I agree with Nick! Thanks!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It was great to see the video on the Rocklite and actually see the luthier working with the material. I love my all wood guitars but it is important for these viable alternatives to be available. If I liked the way a guitar played and sounded, I would be fine with either material. Thanks for posting.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I played a small 'all mahogany' Martin today and it was a good 30 minutes before I realised it was completely HPL, even the top.

As with Richlite, these things probably only matter on an emotional level; my head and ears know that both Richlite and HPL are perfectly good materials for guitars, but my heart says I want real wood.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I played a small 'all mahogany' Martin today and it was a good 30 minutes before I realised it was completely HPL, even the top. ...
Thanks for the honesty. Many people find themselves in the same position and then walk away from the guitar because of their biases - even though they loved the guitar.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:59 AM

As long as it’s usage is disclosed fine. I detest marketing nonsense such as Martins select hardwood, you built it tell me what you used. I prefer wood myself if my D-41 had a richlite fret board I never would have bought it. In addition to tone and playability I appreciate the beauty of the wood work as well. Kind of like putting VW hubcaps on a Corvette to me.

For lower end mass produced entry level guitars sure it’s a viable option but when it is expensive higher end guitars no way unless it was an option you can choose.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredhog View Post
As long as it’s usage is disclosed fine. I detest marketing nonsense such as Martins select hardwood, you built it tell me what you used. ...
For information and truth, the use of "select hardwood" is Martin's way of being able to remain flexible in case of wood shortages that might require the short-term change in neck woods. They continue to use Mahogany primarily. I guess if the neck wood is that important to a buyer, they should simply look at it.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM

I don’t buy that for a minute they built it they know what stack of wood it came from. For an expensive guitar that is just plain dishonest and opens the door for further foolishness. I do not for one minute buy the flexibility line never will. They darn sure told me my D-41 has a mahogany neck which btw I was originally looking at D-28’s. Sorry for a couple of grand select hardwood doesnt cut it. Look at it however you like in my world it is deceptive and opens the door for even more deceptive practices in the future. I run into this kind of BS in my business but I’ll leave it at that to avoid topics that need not be discussed here.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredhog View Post
Look at it however you like in my world it is deceptive and opens the door for even more deceptive practices in the future. I run into this kind of BS in my business but I’ll leave it at that to avoid topics that need not be discussed here.
Not sure it's fair on the likes of Martin (who have an excellent reputation to uphold) to conflate the shady practices used in other business sectors, with that of musical instrument makers - especially when the environmental issues raised by the use of certain woods is becoming ever more audience driven. My take is less cynical - Martin are reacting to and taking a lead on customer sentiment and government legislation on the environment
Old 11-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
For information and truth, the use of "select hardwood" is Martin's way of being able to remain flexible in case of wood shortages that might require the short-term change in neck woods. They continue to use Mahogany primarily. I guess if the neck wood is that important to a buyer, they should simply look at it.
I guess if they want to sell expensive guitars they will tell us what wood they used. The whole “flexible in case of wood shortages” is the biggest line of horse pucky. They know darn well what their inventory of raw material is at any given moment.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Read some of the post, went and played my GCPRSG and still like it a lot. Also have the ebony board on a 000-18 so have a constant comparison. I might draw the line on a standard preferring the ebony just because.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:04 PM

WOW, turned out be a great post with all this conversation, I knew you guys would like that vedio,

Me, I am a tree hugger, if I can save some ebony trees and have a an as good and more environmentally substitute still made from organic materials, not plastic,
I am happy to take it.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 11-09-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Interesting video. The guy who sells Richlite says its better than wood. Who knew?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion