The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful design work! I love the headstock in particular. I think having the mosaic work in the diagonal corners really balances the angled nut. A wonderful composition! Congrats!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Beautiful design work! I love the headstock in particular. I think having the mosaic work in the diagonal corners really balances the angled nut. A wonderful composition! Congrats!

Mark
Hey Mark, I have never really thought about it that way and you're right! But I didn't expect any less from such an experienced luthier such as yourself to pick that out

I am quite inexperienced in design myself (even with my father being an architect and sister being a fashion designer), and I did attempt to guide Joel on the design aspects, only to realise that he would be better left off to his own devices hahaha I realised that although certain designs might seem simplistic or random, these luthiers really expend a lot of thought and creativity and logic behind even the smallest details. They really have one of the toughest jobs in the world!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Ah, another beautiful build thread to partake in! Thanks for posting and sharing the progress of such an exciting custom guitar project.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Ah, another beautiful build thread to partake in! Thanks for posting and sharing the progress of such an exciting custom guitar project.

Best,
Jayne
It is my pleasure to share the extraordinary work of Joel it also helps me while the time away while waiting for the next batch of update photos from him
Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

This is going to be epic
Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Marcus, I'll really enjoy following this thread—this is going to be a one-of-a-kind instrument. The mahogany is just ethereal.

I'm curious what tone you might be seeking with the LS redwood/mahogany. What are you and Joel shooting for here?

And yes... Joel has an amazing eye for design. Very shortly into my build I handed over the design reigns to him and decided to stay clear and let him breathe.

Again, this will be a fun build to follow. Hopefully I'll be practicing my Michaud while reading this thread!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
This is going to be epic
I'm hoping that would be the case
Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
Marcus, I'll really enjoy following this thread—this is going to be a one-of-a-kind instrument. The mahogany is just ethereal.

I'm curious what tone you might be seeking with the LS redwood/mahogany. What are you and Joel shooting for here?

And yes... Joel has an amazing eye for design. Very shortly into my build I handed over the design reigns to him and decided to stay clear and let him breathe.

Again, this will be a fun build to follow. Hopefully I'll be practicing my Michaud while reading this thread!
Well, as you probably know, I started out with an OO-R Engelmann Koa from Joel which was light, responsive and dynamic which I'm pretty sure is what you will be getting out of every one of his guitars. The trebles were strong and powerful, which are what drives the melody therefore important for my fingerstyle playing along with the strong fundamentals. It was also extremely crystal clear with subtle but strong overtone content and great projection.

So with that as a baseline, I told Joel that I wanted something more "colourful" tone wise and even more overtones with a "bigger" sound/presence. Firstly, the bigger body size of the OM-R will see an increased bass response and overtone content, thus a "bigger" sound which is more piano like. Secondly, with a redwood top, the tone will be warmer and also contribute to the overtones while still residing very close to Spruce's strong fundamental capabilities. "The Tree" is basically dense Mahogany which many describe as having tonal properties between Mahogany and Rosewood.

Another reason why I chose these particular woods was actually due to the rarity/fame of these woods. I wanted this to be my dream guitar and although there are many woods out there to achieve my tonal goals, I thought that these 2 celebrity woods would be the best way to do so

I know that I will be sacrificing some clarity, fundamentals and projection with this body size and wood combination but.... that's why people get more than 1 right? :P This will ultimately be a well rounded guitar which should be ideal for every style of playing

Hahaha it shall be in your hands soon enough! Look forward to more pictures, reviews and hopefully sound/video clips of your awesome build!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:19 AM

Marcus, I went with Moon Spruce because I love it. I have LS Redwood, but also have a Tree Guitar with that already. I have played over 5 Moon Wood spruce and Tree Combos that I had made when I was a very active Breedlove Dealer. They hadn't built with Moon Spruce before then. They immediately went and acquired some. I'll start a build thread soon. I won't spoil your party here by posting the set of Tree I'm using....but lets just stay the back and sides are consecutive slices. Mine will be a 14 Fret OOr, scoop cut-a-way and a Manzer wedge. Robson Tuners and a carbon fiber case. Other details soon. I didn't think Joel needed two Lucky Strike / Tree OOr's at the same show. Now, I have to get that LS top back!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Marcus, I went with Moon Spruce because I love it. I have LS Redwood, but also have a Tree Guitar with that already. I have played over 5 Moon Wood spruce and Tree Combos that I had made when I was a very active Breedlove Dealer. They hadn't built with Moon Spruce before then. They immediately went and acquired some. I'll start a build thread soon. I won't spoil your party here by posting the set of Tree I'm using....but lets just stay the back and sides are consecutive slices. Mine will be a 14 Fret OOr, scoop cut-a-way and a Manzer wedge. Robson Tuners and a carbon fiber case. Other details soon. I didn't think Joel needed two Lucky Strike / Tree OOr's at the same show. Now, I have to get that LS top back!
Hey Jay, sorry if my decision to go with LS made you change to Moon Spruce! I guess you'll be using the set that had been set aside for me now haha I think the Moon Spruce might have been a better decision for my tonal goals but I just couldn't get LS out of my mind, so I'm sure I made the right decision. Which guitar do you have that is in the LS/Tree combination?

Really looking forward to your build thread! And yes...I think I MIGHT have seen your set before. I think I will have to take pictures of mine off the thread once yours comes out otherwise it might put mine to shame haha!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Marcus,
Congrats on this build. Looking forward to the pics and descriptions as things progress. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LS Redwood! Along with tonal qualities, it's distinctive ( which was a goal for me and my build too) and it's absolutely beautiful under finish.
Best wishes,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hey Jay, sorry if my decision to go with LS made you change to Moon Spruce! I guess you'll be using the set that had been set aside for me now haha I think the Moon Spruce might have been a better decision for my tonal goals but I just couldn't get LS out of my mind, so I'm sure I made the right decision. Which guitar do you have that is in the LS/Tree combination?
You will not regret the LS top. It is more versatile than you know. It can do it all. I just went for something I don't have in my arsenal. I have a Harvey Leach "Two Trees". It's got a one piece Tree Mahogany back.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Marcus,
Congrats on this build. Looking forward to the pics and descriptions as things progress. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LS Redwood! Along with tonal qualities, it's distinctive ( which was a goal for me and my build too) and it's absolutely beautiful under finish.
Best wishes,
Fred
Thanks Fred! I know I won't be disappointed, just that I've never played a redwood top before so from my knowledge, Spruce seems like the more familiar choice. Haha looking forward to finally playing a LS Redwood guitar
Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
You will not regret the LS top. It is more versatile than you know. It can do it all. I just went for something I don't have in my arsenal. I have a Harvey Leach "Two Trees". It's got a one piece Tree Mahogany back.
Wow, you have THAT guitar! I was actually just looking at it a couple of days ago. Gorgeous haha excited to see how LS is going to play out and " The Tree" as well of course!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Wow, you have THAT guitar!
I have one of the series of 10. Yeah, it's a good one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree