The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 AM

Default Gibson Songmaker Series ???

I Just read a short review that said Gibson made many changes in there Canada made Songmaker Series DSM,CSM models. Looks like they did not sell well the first year so they did a overhaul on the acoustics. Anyone play one or own one of updated DSM or CSM models. I'm looking to buy a new acoustic and the dread model with there 1 3/4in nut width caught my attention after I read about there makeover. cibby
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 AM

I haven't played the Songmaker series, but they are the result of Gibson taking over Garrison guitars. They're pretty much the same design as Garrison, without the plastic bracing.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibby View Post
I Just read a short review that said Gibson made many changes in there Canada made Songmaker Series DSM,CSM models. Looks like they did not sell well the first year so they did a overhaul on the acoustics. Anyone play one or own one of updated DSM or CSM models. I'm looking to buy a new acoustic and the dread model with there 1 3/4in nut width caught my attention after I read about there makeover. cibby
Yep... I played one, GREAT sound. Very Gibson, I would recommend it. I liked the fact that it was a satin finish. It gave the guitar a little more resonance. No complaints. But, you need to play one yourself.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Thumbs down Gibson

Gibson bought Garrison Guitars and then killed it
Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 PM

During the years that they were in production I played at least a dozen Gibson Songmaker models, both their dreadnought and their OM designs, with and without cutaways. I never found one that I liked even a little bit, which was disheartening, because I was hoping for a good-sounding Gibson at a moderate price.

At that point Gibson had recently discontinued its plain Jane “Working Man” series guitars, which offered terrific value for the money, and I was hoping for a similarly great guitar for remarkably little money. That was the marketing plan for the Songmaker series, but the guitars themselves fell short.

Which is probably why they’re no longer in production today.

To those of you who found good- and great-sounding Songmakers, I envy you. I never did.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion