The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Tiny amp to attach to tele?

I like to play my telecaster (G&L ASAT Classic Tribute) unplugged when I need to be quiet, but I would like it to be just a tad louder, e.g. when the heating kicks on.

I have one of those little Vox headphone amps that plugs straight into the output jack, but I would rather not use headphones.

I am imagining a tiny battery-powered amp that I can attach to my tele on the body top, behind the ash tray, using a piece of stick-on velcro, and plug in to it using a patch cable. I searched on Amazon for something like this, but the couple of things I found looked a bit cheesy. I don't really need great tone, because I'm just trying to hear a slightly louder version of the unplugged tone, so as long as it's clean it will presumably be OK.

Has anyone done something like this before?

Any other tips for getting a slight volume increase without cords, headphones, or carrying amps around? (I love just being able to grab the guitar only, like I can with an acoustic). I guess playing whilst facing a wall / corner might help, but it's inconvenient, and makes me feel like I've been naughty, LOL.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Honeytone amps from Danelectro

I have a bunch of these (for the money, why not, like with Snarks). I think they're pretty much just what you're looking for.

http://danelectro.com/accessories/honeytone-mini-amp/
Old 03-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I have a bunch of these (for the money, why not, like with Snarks). I think they're pretty much just what you're looking for.

http://danelectro.com/accessories/honeytone-mini-amp/
Have you tried attaching one to your guitar, like I was describing, or do you use them in the conventional way? I really don't want something else to grab, other than my guitar, e.g., grab guitar, sit on couch, start playing (slightly louder than unplugged).

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:41 PM

I had an earlier bulkier version of this amp-u-plug-n-play gizmo ;

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Plug-Pla.../dp/B00345GTY4

It might work for you.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I like to play my telecaster (G&L ASAT Classic Tribute) unplugged when I need to be quiet, but I would like it to be just a tad louder, e.g. when the heating kicks on.

I have one of those little Vox headphone amps that plugs straight into the output jack, but I would rather not use headphones.

I am imagining a tiny battery-powered amp that I can attach to my tele on the body top, behind the ash tray, using a piece of stick-on velcro, and plug in to it using a patch cable. I searched on Amazon for something like this, but the couple of things I found looked a bit cheesy. I don't really need great tone, because I'm just trying to hear a slightly louder version of the unplugged tone, so as long as it's clean it will presumably be OK.

Has anyone done something like this before?

Any other tips for getting a slight volume increase without cords, headphones, or carrying amps around? (I love just being able to grab the guitar only, like I can with an acoustic). I guess playing whilst facing a wall / corner might help, but it's inconvenient, and makes me feel like I've been naughty, LOL.
I think for noiseless operation (I'm assuming you either have neighbors or kids you don't want to disturb) you already have the best solution.

You could also get a very small amp like a roland cube and use a wireless guitar system.

I haven't seen an amp small enough do do what you are describing.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxed View Post
I had an earlier bulkier version of this amp-u-plug-n-play gizmo ;

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Plug-Pla.../dp/B00345GTY4

It might work for you.
Or this one with less features, but also less expensive.
I may get one too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005L..._t1_B00345GTY4
Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Have you tried attaching one to your guitar, like I was describing, or do you use them in the conventional way? I really don't want something else to grab, other than my guitar, e.g., grab guitar, sit on couch, start playing (slightly louder than unplugged).

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm afraid you would need to attach it the conventional way, with a cord connecting guitar & amp.

They do come with a belt clip (image below). So a pretty short cord is all you would need. And with the clip you're free to walk around while you're playing. I don't know of an amp that plugs directly into the guitar and doesn't need headphones.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/im...1wquuityme.jpg

I have a Vox amplug, incidentally, and I do find the headphone setup is kind of awkward. Maybe people get used to it.

Last edited by frankmcr; 03-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

This one sounds pretty good, it may be a tiny bit larger than you want and it doesn't attach to your guitar you'd have to use a cable but it sounds real good at low levels, and has a delay effect if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstar-Gui...ruments&sr=1-4
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 03-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

This one looks interesting:
https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Am...s%2C145&sr=8-8

I like that it is rechargeable, via USB.

Interesting that it can record your playing.

It would be pretty big, stuck on my tele, though, at something like 6 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:25 PM

If you don't want to use headphones, why not just use a small regular amp, and adjust the volume to suit your surroundings. The amps have a (1) as well as an (11).

Ed
Old 03-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
If you don't want to use headphones, why not just use a small regular amp, and adjust the volume to suit your surroundings. The amps have a (1) as well as an (11).

Ed
I'm looking for a solution that is as portable as an acoustic, so an amp does not meet that requirement unless it can be attached to the guitar.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM

that joyo for $12 bucks looks like a nice toy to have- think im going to order one for that price after watching a couple videos of it
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-07-2019, 03:48 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nterface-black
Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
This one sounds pretty good, it may be a tiny bit larger than you want and it doesn't attach to your guitar you'd have to use a cable but it sounds real good at low levels, and has a delay effect if you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstar-Gui...ruments&sr=1-4
And . . . if you set the Delay Level at mid-point, and the Time right between 0 and the first mark (on the left), you get a very credible Reverb effect.

I recently sold a guitar to a guy I met in a public space and used this amp to demo the guitar. He was more impressed with the tone he was getting out of the amp, I think, than the guitar (he was a good player, which helped - never sounded that good for me).
Old 03-07-2019, 04:03 PM

I've got one of those AROMA Mini Portable amps to keep in the case of my Chiquita. I'ts ok but what sounds much better is a Joyo American Sound pedal (amp sim) plugged into powered speakers, stereo or car dash.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars