The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-16-2015, 10:03 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Thanks Phil. That's a killer back for sure. Maybe I can check it out next year in person.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:09 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post

What Mike eventually came up with was both brilliant and effective, and I think you'll like it. He originally thought that just the "glass" (really acrylic) on the headstock with an open chamber on the backplate would illuminate it well - but decided that there was no way to make it look "finished". So he had the idea of adding another very thin layer of acrylic to the backplate. There's a "chamber" in between, but because of the opaqueness of the acrylic there's no "bleed" of the pattern inlaid (fiber, like the back of the neck inlays).

See what you think:

STUNNING!! WOWSER!!

I LOVE that. Just when you think you've seen it all, somebody comes up with something as cool as this.

Thanks for sharing it!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

The stained-glass-through-the-headstock idea is off-the-charts cool!!! I absolutely love what was done here.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM
*mahoganut*

Well, a short long-story here, but unfortunately no pictures (yet). I picked up the guitars at Mike's on Monday - having also invited several very good players to come for a "test drive" at the reveal! I was privileged to have Jenn, Steve, Dorian, and Marty - accomplished musicians all - play, comment, and all the while I was able to listen.

The short of it was that everyone liked them very much. It was the first OO of Mike's we'd tried - and he hit it out of the park! The OM (previously referred to as the "OOM") has the traditional Baranik Florentine cutaway. As you can see in the unfinished pictures, the guitars are - if not twins - very very close siblings!

I'll have a photo back setup very soon and will post some finished shots, as well as some opportunistic shots of the troupe playing them (via sneaky mobile phone camera).

Cheers all,

Phil
Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Smile Congrats

Congratulations Phil. I can't wait to see the finished photos. I'm curious to see how the side sound ports and other details came out.

Everyone seems to love the stained glass headstock, including me. I may steal that idea for my Baranik 12-string build next year.

Cheers!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 12-11-2018, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Update on the twins? I’ll

Hey, Phil! Any chance you can give us an update on these two beauties?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi Mark... yes - I should have some updates soon. When we got together last month in Templeton, Mike took quite a few "glamour shots". I haven't seen them yet - but when I do I'll post some.

The two guitars over the past 3 years have "settled in". I can't say I've noticed any major difference in tone, sustain, or other "opening up" -- but they started out wonderfully, and I think they're comfortable now.

The blue spruce topped OM is amazing... probably the best sounding guitar I've had.

The value of the guitars, based on wood, and the amount of effort that went into the builds, has increased almost 50%. Get your "tree" and "Lucky Strike" redwood builds now... don't wait!

I did look at wood with Mike for a rosewood guitar - having decided I'd like something with extended overtones and lush depth -- tonal qualities I've purposefully avoided with mahogany - and we found some very nice sets. Still pending, but I picked a set of "Kingwood" which is a dalbergia from South America - but unusual in that it's large enough for a two-piece back (most kingwood is small and used for furniture, or if on a guitar requires a multi-piece (3-4) back. And a nice Adi top set from the same source as the top on my new Parlour. OO a bit deeper than normal, small bevel, braz fretboard and bridge. Details to come - at least a year out.

Cheers all,

Phil
Old 12-12-2018, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Cool update, Phil, thanks. Hope to see some pictures soon, especially from the recent Baranik gathering, either here or on FB. Make sure you post a picture of the more-than-mind-blowing headstocks, okay?

Great news about a rosewood-flavored 00! I guess you must be really stoked with the Adi top on your Retreux to want some more, instead of crowning the Kingwood with a slice of Colorado Blue. It goes without saying that I'm eager to follow your next Baranik build thread .
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 AM
*mahoganut*

The Colorado Blue Spruce is the finest of top woods - there's a "tinkling bell" chime to the highs when strings are fresh that I've not heard from any other top wood. (maybe it's the ringing in my ears from years of flying, but I don't think so!).

But -- you are right... the Adirondack top on the parlour is blowing my mind with its headroom... light and soft, strummed soft or hard, picked - it just seems to handle it all. The set Mike has is not necessarily from the same billet, but it came from the same source. And it's a nice even spaced adi - not the wide variety that is more frequently seen.

Cheers!
Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
The Colorado Blue Spruce is the finest of top woods - there's a "tinkling bell" chime to the highs when strings are fresh that I've not heard from any other top wood. (maybe it's the ringing in my ears from years of flying, but I don't think so!).

But -- you are right... the Adirondack top on the parlour is blowing my mind with its headroom... light and soft, strummed soft or hard, picked - it just seems to handle it all. The set Mike has is not necessarily from the same billet, but it came from the same source. And it's a nice even spaced adi - not the wide variety that is more frequently seen.

Cheers!
Phil
Yes, that Colorado blue spruce is really something special. I’ve played quite a few of Mike’s guitars with that top wood. They always deliver. But I’m also a huge fan of Adirondack spruce. And Carpathian. And German. And Swiss. And Sitka. I guess I like them all.

But you’re right, it is hard to match the headroom of really stiff Adi. Although both of my old Baraniks had huge headroom with the blue spruce.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 AM

I have some sets of both "Tree" and "Lucky Strike" that are pretty awesome the moment. I just had one huge sale so this stuff is getting pretty slim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35266272_1785465971491774_57319804603727872_o.jpg (55.2 KB, 253 views)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:42 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I have some sets of both "Tree" and "Lucky Strike" that are pretty awesome the moment. I just had one huge sale so this stuff is getting pretty slim.
Thanks Jay!

If you've ever thought about having your favorite luthier build you a one-in-a-million guitar, you should consider these woods, and soon!

Phil
Old 12-20-2018, 04:07 PM

Lovely set BBWW!
Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM
*mahoganut*

seeking a third party hosting vendor who won't require me to pay and who will provide higher quality photos...

Last edited by riorider; 01-01-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Posting pictures
Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM
*mahoganut*

Default A few nice shots...

I have selected a few of the really nice shots Mike took back in November of the "twins". For those who haven't read the whole thread, this started as a project to have two smaller bodied guitars with matching "tree" Honduran mahogany backs and sides, one with the best blue spruce top available and one with an extremely special and rare "Lucky Strike" redwood top. Along the decision path Mike and I chose some visual elements from Arts and Crafts period - designs, abstractions, various colors and elements - integrated into one OO and one OM body.

Now, after 4 years, I can say these are the best I've held in their respective specialties. I like mahogany for it's controllable overtones and unadorned tonal palette. The tops give each guitar their special variances - the spruce for that tinkle and bark and sparkle, and the redwood for a slightly rounder, softer tone. Both project famously and are a pleasure to play (as well as to see!).

So - sorry for the long delay in showing you all the finished work. Thanks to Jay for the "tree" sets, to John Mayes for the "LS" top, and of course to Mike for the craftsmanship.

Cheers all,
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0537.jpg (37.3 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0551.jpg (42.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20181120_134432.jpg (16.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0262.jpg (42.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0249.jpg (36.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0207.jpg (44.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0365.jpg (30.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0346.jpg (43.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0304.jpg (40.4 KB, 128 views)

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop