The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hard to Believe that Jethro Tull beat out Metallica the first time the Best Hard Rock/Metal performance was awarded at the Grammys in 1989. Go figure that one out.
In my opinion Jethro Tull was a better band rock band. Metallica was a better metal band. Not really the same. I think they changed the category a few years after that.
I loved Tull all through the 70's and 80's I saw lots of concerts and each was a theme show supporting a new album. Great stuff. Heavy metal was on overload, too many bands doing the same thing. I didn't really start liking Metallica until the 2000's

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Willie Nelson's hit "Crazy" was originally going to be titled "Stupid".

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

When the Allman Bothers Band lost founder Duane Allman to a motorcycle accident, they tried to figure out who they could bring in to replace him. Number one on their list was a fellow that Duane had just recorded with, Eric Clapton, but they couldn't get up their nerve to ask him and went on without a second guitarist. Years later when he found out that they had considered him, Clapton said he would have take the job in a heartbeat.

When Humble Pie lost Peter Frampton to his solo career their first choice was an up and comer who had just left his band, Joe Walsh. Unfortunately Joe had just started a new band in Colorado called Barnstorm and had to decline. Barnstorm had one hit album, The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get but collapsed a year later after promoters and the record company just couldn't get it through their heads that it wasn't Joe Walsh the solo artist but Barnstorm the band, so Joe was forced into a solo career.

During his first solo year, Joe's three year old daughter was killed in a auto accident by a drunken driver. ABC/Dunhill records sent him on a hectic year-long tour immediately after her death and his marriage came unglued. On that tour he opened for the Eagles. Meanwhile the Eagles offered him the position of lead guitarist when their guitarist, Bernie Leadon, quit. Joe couldn't get an agreement with his record company allowing him to join the Eagles so the two acts simply integrated into each other onstage for the next few months and the Eagles joined Joe in the studio for work on his first solo album, "So What?" the name of which pretty much summed up his state of mind at the time. Joe played out his contract and was eventually able to join the band. The official announcement was December 20, 1975.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
In my opinion Jethro Tull was a better band rock band. Metallica was a better metal band. Not really the same. I think they changed the category a few years after that.
I loved Tull all through the 70's and 80's I saw lots of concerts and each was a theme show supporting a new album. Great stuff. Heavy metal was on overload, too many bands doing the same thing. I didn't really start liking Metallica until the 2000's
Good point. I think it comes down to in 1989 was Jethro Tull a better hard rock band then Metallica was a metal band? Actually, was Jethro Tull even considered a hard rock band in '89 (outside of the Grammy's)?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Don Felder of the Eagles taught guitar lessons at a guitar shop in Gainsville FL when he was a teenager. One of his students was Tom Petty.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Kirk Hammett (Metallica) was a student of Joe Satriani. Steve Vai was another student.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:51 AM

The Who's current drummer is Zac Starkey. His dad, Richard Starkey, is better known as Ringo Starr, who was friends with Keith Moon, who gave drum lessons to Zac when he was little.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Bob Dylan was born a woman.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Ian Gillian of Deep Purple fame played Jesus in the first production of Jesus Christ Superstar.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Genesis's original lead guitarist was Anthony Phillips, who left the band because he had horrible stage fright, so bad he becme physically ill.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-16-2014, 12:24 PM

Brian May has a PhD in astrophysics and was Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University from 2008 to 2013.

I heard him interviewed as to how his academic life compared with his years with Queen and he said something to the effect of: I am really proud of my degree and intensely curious about the stars, but how do you compare that with playing to 100,000 people in Wembley Stadium with Freddy Mercury as your frontman?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Tori Amos played in a band called Why Kant Tori Read. The band name was a play on Tori's experiences at Peabody (she was basically kicked out because she couldn't read music, hence the band name). The drummer of that band was Matt Sorrum, who later replaced Steven Adler as the drummer in Guns N Roses.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:40 PM

Hate to double post, but I just thought of an even more obscure fact.
Zakk Wylde (he played guitar for Ozzy Osborne) as a teenager once played a show with The Allman Brothers because Dickey Betts was "unavailable." Needless to say, it wasn't really a good musical fit.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Hate to double post, but I just thought of an even more obscure fact.
Zakk Wylde (he played guitar for Ozzy Osborne) as a teenager once played a show with The Allman Brothers because Dickey Betts was "unavailable." Needless to say, it wasn't really a good musical fit.
I didn't know that. I remember reading an interview from Zakk 15 or so years ago. He was a big Allman Brothers fan and used to play along to Live at Fillmore East. He said he knew that album practically note for note. It probably was a very exciting moment for him playing with them.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Tori Amos played in a band called Why Kant Tori Read. The band name was a play on Tori's experiences at Peabody (she was basically kicked out because she couldn't read music, hence the band name). The drummer of that band was Matt Sorrum, who later replaced Steven Adler as the drummer in Guns N Roses.
I had that record on LP and recorded it to Dat. Still have it somewhere.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic