The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM

I just compared the A2 to the A3 specs. Top feature of the A2: the Limiter . Instead you have a few different compressors. I like the modelling of the A2 and presume the same are used for the A3, with a few added ones. The boost is a nice extra, so you don't need an extra patch or pedal. The site says that the patches can be programmed, but i'm not sure if it will be in conjuntion with the 3 foot switches. If those can be designated that would be good, as i'm in no need of a feedback switch. The A2 has banks A1-9 to D1-9), so you can put as many effects on each as you like with lots of options. Not sure how that works with the A3.
Maybe someone can enlighten me.
What the effects are concerned: i like the air and the 12-string option on the A2 , the tape echo is ace (for all them rockabilly licks etc. the A3 mentions a Slapback echo here) and the reverbs and delays are ok. The chorus and other similar effects (flanger etc.) are below par though (too bad, really), so i only use it sparingly), but again, i haven't heared the A3 yet.
If the editing is like the A2, it's a breeze (compared to Line6 and others).
It looks more rugged too.My A2 parameter knobs are now behaving a little erratic at times. I also had to take it apart, as one of the footswitches didn't connect properly to the PCB (common problem with all electronics nowadays, especially with moving parts like footswitches). Had to use some glue/plastic, and tighten the connector.A bit shabby on construction.But for 90 euro a very good product just the same.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Are modeling options aimed primarily at guitars with UST or magnetic pickups? If so, for a person using an SBT, the first A3 slot, which apparently is dedicated to modeling, would seem to be useless.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM

I don't have the A3, so I can only go off what I'm seeing on the web at this point. The A3 has a selector switch to determine what type of pickup you are using. From the web page it says,

"Piezoelectric pickups tend to capture high frequencies well, but are deficient at the low end and result in producing a thin sound. On the other hand, magnetic pickups are very effective at capturing low frequencies and produce more of an electric sound. The A3 has a pickup input compensation function that cancels the effect of frequency ranges that are lost or emphasized by the pickup. This feature processes the signal optimally according to the characteristics of each type of pickup.

* You can use the FLAT setting to bypass pickup input compensation."

Here's the link.....http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/a3.

Hope this help a little bit. I keep looking on YouTube to see if any more sound examples/demos show up to give more info on what this device works and how it sounds.

Joe
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM

Has anyone else in the U.S. ordered an A3 from Japan? Maybe I was unwise, considering the possible issues, but I did so... the seller shipped it by EMS (Express Mail International) - which is delivered by the US Postal Service.

It was relatively quick to get to the Los Angeles Airport but has been in customs now for 5 days. I know that items can often get stuck there, but was just wondering if anyone has already been through the process with the A3 and found any issues with the device clearing. My seller was West Co, Ltd / Rakuten. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Electrifying !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroy View Post
Has anyone else in the U.S. ordered an A3 from Japan? Maybe I was unwise, considering the possible issues, but I did so... the seller shipped it by EMS (Express Mail International) - which is delivered by the US Postal Service.

It was relatively quick to get to the Los Angeles Airport but has been in customs now for 5 days. I know that items can often get stuck there, but was just wondering if anyone has already been through the process with the A3 and found any issues with the device clearing. My seller was West Co, Ltd / Rakuten. Thanks.
It shouldn't be that long , Rakuten is pretty good ( I live in Japan)
But I am surprised it went thru customs at all with EMS delivery ??
That really puzzles me .
Just remember that the Power supply may be the issue , there are very strong regulations about that , The Japanese Voltage is 100 volts not 120
And depending on region 50hz , or 6o hz ,...... So that might be the issue .
Call the Customs agent and tell them your going to get s different power supply for it anyway , and that might solve the problem .
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Default Shocking wait

Thanks - still waiting (tracking status has not changed either). I'm indeed planning on powering from an MXR power brick device, but am told by the customs customer service that I will receive correspondence (and a tracking change) in the event they hold the unit. I'm actually hoping it has just escaped their outbound scanner and is on the way to my door. May not be so lucky.

Today I also see that a couple of US dealers are advertising it for pre-order, even though the zoom rep said 60-90 days out to US availability. I just hope I get mine well enough in advance of that to make it worth the higher price! (and now the wait! )...
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM

So I was wondering how much better the A3 is gonna be compared to using the G5 for my acoustic? I love the effect of the exciter on the g5 and the fact that I can have more than 2 effects at a time. Any thoughts there?

I have both the g3 and g5 with hopes of using the g3 for acoustic and the g5 for the electric but now I am finding myself only using the g5 for both with dual a/b switches to switch between acoustic/pa and electric/amp.
2014 Taylor 714CE FLTD 2014 Taylor 150E 2006 Taylor NS54CE Yamaha NTX1200r 2012 EJ200Ce Tobacco Burst Michael Kelly Patriot Custom Eastman MD-615F Ibanez M522S Yamaha CG-100 Classical Luna Guitars Floral Concert Ukulele
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

I may be wrong, but I think the A3 and G3/G5 are using the same chip set. So the effects would be the same. The A3 has the modeling ability that the G3/G5 don't have. I've got a G3 arriving tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying it out with my acoustic and electric guitars. Still planning to pickup an A3 latter this year for the modeling ability and then using the G3 for the effects.

Joe
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the A3 and G3/G5 are using the same chip set. So the effects would be the same. The A3 has the modeling ability that the G3/G5 don't have. I've got a G3 arriving tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying it out with my acoustic and electric guitars. Still planning to pickup an A3 latter this year for the modeling ability and then using the G3 for the effects.

Joe
Look's like the same generation of effects but less of them in the A3, specifically the electric guitar centric ones like overdrive, distortion etc.

G3 specs
A3 specs

I'm really looking forward to this thing becoming available, I was planning on using a G3 in the loop of a ultraDI clone for my incoming and future JJB equipped instruments.

Hopefully it will also be able to replace the aura unit I'm using with my fishman UST equipped guild.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 AM

The A3 has some nice features, a boost and tap tempo footswitch, a mic input, usb output and others. The A2 though, has more options. Mainly that you can assign ANY model/ effect to any patch/bank. That gives you 40 options. The obvious fault in the A3 is that there is just a designated pot to change the modelling, and no banks. If you need to change it, you'd have to do it manually. Not handy when your pedal is on the ground. They seem to want you to stick with one chosen option. Unless i'm missing something..
I use the A2 with my main guitar, switching patches (0-9) in banks (A-D), playing sometimes a jumbo model (for big strumming), J45 (for that punchy country playing), 000 (for fingerpicking) ,with tweak EQ etc, depending on the song, all with the use of the 2 footswiches (up&down).
For 80 euro a great option.I was hoping for an improved A2 with a boost footswich, better still, 3 footswitches that are totally programmable. That would give the user total control of the parameters.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Looking at page 8 of the manual for this thing it seems to have two separate types of modeling going on:
  1. model type - as dictated by the large knob top middle and not saved as part of the patch
  2. body type - using effects slot 1 and saved as part of the patch. Seems similar to A2
Or is model type to optimise the unit to your guitar rather than audible modeling?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 AM

Yes, that is a little confusing at first. Like the slide switch on the side, to be used for matching the a3's input to your guitars pickup type, the knob at the top is used to set the type of physical guitar input into the a3. It is the 'starting place' of the modeling function, and can be used alone to 'enhance' your guitars signal, compensating for the difference between what your guitars pickup is sending out and the 'ideal' or 'studio' reference of that type. The second half of the modeling is the body type shown on the LED panel. What shows there is the guitar you want to sound like in that 'patch'. It is the modeling 'goal', and the idea is that your OM-28 or whatever can be given the sound characteristics of a D-16 for instance. This is the 'wet' that the Wet/Dry knob is blending (your OM sounding like itself, fully like a D-16, or combining the characteristics of the two types).

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 AM

Default a3 high-frequency 'whine'

My question is this: I'm one of the guys who took the chance and ordered a unit early on from Japan. I haven't had much time to work with it yet but like it a lot so far.

I am though experiencing one thing that might be common to all units, or just mine, and that is continuous very high-frequency 'whine' (pitch) very, very softly in the background. While very quietly in the background, it is continual as long as signal is being output. It's volume is proportional to the output volume, and to some degree the gain saturation of each stage (inputting preamp and devices, a3 pickup level knob and a3 master level, and following amplifier pre- and master). In that regard, it feels like some type of 'distortion', yet it sounds more power related (grounding or a3 power section). At first I thought it was an impedance mismatch with an MXR m108 (10-band eq pedal) being used before the a3 input, but it seems to have this characteristic with guitar straight in (and I think with more than one guitar).

The whine is controllable to the point that many may not hear it. I did use it tonight into a PA in a medium size room with small acoustic band (2 acoustics, keyboard and bass) and no one commented, but I knew it was there. I have really good ears and someone with good ears in the house may have also heard it - probably 97% did not, especially as it wouldn't be noticable when playing.

I think that it's been on a pedal board with power from an MXR DC-Brick (latest version) when I've noticed the whine. I'll have to try powering it with it's factory supply (wall-wart) in the same board configuration and see if that takes care of it. I just wondered whether anyone else who already had the unit had experienced the same thing.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroy View Post
My question is this: I'm one of the guys who took the chance and ordered a unit early on from Japan. I haven't had much time to work with it yet but like it a lot so far.

I am though experiencing one thing that might be common to all units, or just mine, and that is continuous very high-frequency 'whine' (pitch) very, very softly in the background. While very quietly in the background, it is continual as long as signal is being output. It's volume is proportional to the output volume, and to some degree the gain saturation of each stage (inputting preamp and devices, a3 pickup level knob and a3 master level, and following amplifier pre- and master). In that regard, it feels like some type of 'distortion', yet it sounds more power related (grounding or a3 power section). At first I thought it was an impedance mismatch with an MXR m108 (10-band eq pedal) being used before the a3 input, but it seems to have this characteristic with guitar straight in (and I think with more than one guitar).

The whine is controllable to the point that many may not hear it. I did use it tonight into a PA in a medium size room with small acoustic band (2 acoustics, keyboard and bass) and no one commented, but I knew it was there. I have really good ears and someone with good ears in the house may have also heard it - probably 97% did not, especially as it wouldn't be noticable when playing.

I think that it's been on a pedal board with power from an MXR DC-Brick (latest version) when I've noticed the whine. I'll have to try powering it with it's factory supply (wall-wart) in the same board configuration and see if that takes care of it. I just wondered whether anyone else who already had the unit had experienced the same thing.
Sounds like the exact same noise that was present on my Zoom R24 recorder when the phantom power was turned on. It was fixed by Zoom under warranty and was a common problem with the R24 recorder, otherwise a great unit.

I believe the A3 has switchable phantom power, so you might try turning it on and off to see if there's any differance.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM

You know, I forgot that it might have phantom, thanks! I'll post the result when I'm able to test it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
zoom a3 pedal