The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM

I just came back from my Sat night gig, and RUN, don't walk, to get the AC-33. I only performed guitar, but the sound was the best I've ever had, even with the GT-10 going into the SoloAmp. As far as voice is concerned, you'll have to see for yourself, in your group. (I mean, if your group LIKES Crates, then we do have different artistic/sound reinforcement values....

But I can't IMAGINE the voice wouldn't sound every bit as good as the guitar.

The general comment at the restaurant (aside from "Wow") was that the sound was more lush and full, which sounds like marketspeak, but really describes the experience. Very, very clear, and well balanced across and up and down the fretboard, and the reverb, chorus, and ambience are even better than in my apartment.

The specs say 20W instead of 30W running on batteries, but there is plenty of quality volume.

IMNSHO, don't even think about the Crate. TRY the AC-30 - most places give you 30 days, including Sweetwater, and you're only out the return shipping if you don't like it...

But you'll like it. TRUST me... I'm a musician.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieclarke View Post
I'm in a busking band, the Meetles, and they've been pushing me to buy a Crate taxi amp.. The crate 15 is twice as heavy as the Roland AC-33 and that's an issue. I'll be interested to hear about the power using vocal and guitar with batteries vs. AC. Glad to hear it sounds lush. That's the guitar, I take it? How about the voice? What does it do when pushed to "10"? Just curious..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHhAaB85EY
I've got the little Vox DA5 (5 watt) amp. You can hear me initially, but not after a while as more are playing. At the moment, the lead guitarist is sharing his crate 15 with me (for my voice) which has made my voice sound SO much better and louder as well while I continue to use the Vox for guitar The Vox did go on strike a couple of weeks ago, but came back after I fiddled with the batteries.

Anyway, I'm very interested to hear about this new Roland AC-33 as well as the new Peavey Nano Vypyr and anything else battery-powered that comes down the line.

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-30-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 PM

I am going to be VERY interested in others' takes as more experience comes in....
Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
BTW, if you watch the promotional video the first shot they show of the AC60 and AC90 show them on poles, which is pretty funny considering that the mount is the one thing the AC-33 doesn't have.
Ha ha, I thought the same thing

@ BuleriaChk - Have you played the KC-110 as well? I would like to hear your comparisons between it and the AC-33...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
The general comment at the restaurant (aside from "Wow") was that the sound was more lush and full, which sounds like marketspeak, but really describes the experience. Very, very clear, and well balanced across and up and down the fretboard, and the reverb, chorus, and ambience are even better than in my apartment.
About how big was the room and how did you place the AC-33 without a pole mount?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM

I haven't tried the KC-110 (hey, I just got the AC-33 yesterday). The room was about 30-40 (actually a semi-covered patio), and the amp fit perfectly on high chair provided by the establishment....:-)

I was playing with the amp close, but it was audible over the entire place. Here, volume is not the issue, it was the quality of sound that is so important (especially for Flamenco). I'll be interested in what classical guitarists have to say about this amp ......

Of course, all the Pickup/Preamp problems were solved for me with the Takamine Palathetic (nylon string) pickup and the CTP-2 preamp, so I have a great sound to begin with (verified with my A-Ref and SoloAmp, one of which I may be selling shortly)....

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-31-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:28 PM

Gee wizz! Now I gotta go try one and the BA-330 as well.
Thanks for the write up BC.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
with the GT-10 going into the SoloAmp. As far as voice is concerned, you'll have to see for yourself, in your group. (I mean, if your group LIKES Crates, then we do have different artistic/sound reinforcement values....
Thanks for the review. What does GT-10 going into the SoloAmp refer to?

My group likes Crates because up until right now there has not been anything else that compares since we require battery-powered minimum 6 hours in cold weather and good volume. Of course quality is important, but if it can't deliver the above, it won't work. I read that Roland AC-33 will manage more than 6 - I think 9 with rechargeables? Now that I have a lovely new R. Taylor 12 string cocobolo/A. spruce, I would love to have a nice sounding amp.

More reviews for this and the Peavey Vypyr Nano, particularly using both voice and guitar.. please?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM

The GT-10 is an amp modeling effects unit (one of the best around). Its primary use is to allow electric guitarists to sound like any number of amplifiers on the market without having to purchase each individual amp, in addition to adding numerous effects. Electric amps modify the native sound of the electric guitar, since the the electrics do not have an effective sound of their own (with a few minor caveats). Electric guitars are more or less steel strings on a wooden block, and require modification to sound acceptable (from crunch to heavy metal).

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...?ProductId=941

The Peavey Vypyr Nano is an electric guitar amp that includes a number of amp models... This is similar to the Vox DA-5 - which is also conceived a primarily an electric guitar amp, but will work better for acoustic guitar than others....

Although the Vypyr has two "clean" guitar models, this does not equate to the FRFR requirements of acoustic guitar, and you have to be very careful in selecting an electric guitar amp to provide amplification for acoustic guitar.

However, the AC-33 is the first battery powered acoustic amp at a reasonable price that I have seen, other than the Mobile Cube, which may not be loud enough with all the competition. I think the AC-33 will provide plenty of volume (certainly as much or more than the DA-5 - which I owned for awhile, and sold for partial payment of the AC-30).

(I should add that the Mobile Cube is not particularly acoustic or electric, but has "models" for both. However its "normal" setting is surprisingly FRFR, and accurate. In comparison, I found the Cube Street to still have an electric amp sound, and was not acceptable for me.)

In fact, I was very excited at the appearance of the Cube Street:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE_Street/

and very disappointed at the sound. BUT - it has had a lot of good reviews on Harmony Central, and you might like it for your situation - you can even get a gig bag specially made for it. I think most of the reviewers were playing steel string guitar, which is different from nylon string in its requirements as well - so it might be ideal for you.

I have just been through a long, expensive investigation of electric guitar effects and amp modelers for acoustic (nylon string) guitar, and while some of it has been interesting, I have reverted to acoustic amps (since they are FRFR, they are more expensive than equivalent power electric amps, but you can always add modelers - such as the GT-10 - if that is what you want. Mostly, in my search, I was just trying to compensate for underwhelming pickups/preamps. Once I got that sorted (by Takamine), it became obvious that amp modeling was overkill for the sounds that I wanted, but FRFR amps/speakers were absolutely essential.

Quote:
Thanks for the review. What does GT-10 going into the SoloAmp refer to?

More reviews for this and the Peavey Vypyr Nano, particularly using both voice and guitar.. please?

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-31-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM

Default More on Roland AC-33

Thanks for the fuller discussion. Maybe I can see if I can get one of the retailers here in NY to get one (and a Crate). I always do best when I have as many as possible to compare from/to. Nice to know the Peavey is for electrics. How is the bass on the Roland? Or the dynamic range in general? My R. Taylor has this "shimmering" sound that I like. I wonder if it would be picked up. On the other end of things, what happens if you push it to 10? Are there any unhappy effects?

Last edited by maggieclarke; 01-31-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: to add more
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM

Most of these questions, you'll have to test for yourself (e.g., the bass is fine for me, if I turn it past 6 my ears hurt). The AC-33 should be appearing in local retail outlets shortly; I'm sure Guitar Center will have them within a couple of weeks. (You can order it from Sweetwater - who got 4 in - as of this post there was at least one available - , with a 30 day return policy, and the return shipping -if you don't like it - will probably be less than the gas to get to the local store).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC33

But I'm sure it will be a hot item in all the major retaillers as soon as the arrive in quantity.....

UPDATE: Cranked it up to 10, and it still sounded fine.....

Quote:
Thanks for the fuller discussion. Maybe I can see if I can get one of the retailers here in NY to get one (and a Crate). I always do best when I have as many as possible to compare from/to. Nice to know the Peavey is for electrics. How is the bass on the Roland? Or the dynamic range in general? My R. Taylor has this "shimmering" sound that I like. I wonder if it would be picked up. On the other end of things, what happens if you push it to 10? Are there any unhappy effects?

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-31-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM

Have you had a chance to play with the built in looper yet?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 PM

Not yet; maybe tomorrow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
Have you had a chance to play with the built in looper yet?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks again for the feedback (whoops, bad turn of phrase). But this unit has a feedback switch, no? Will you be able to test it for voice and guitar (i.e. see if there is any impact on volume/quality of guitar when vocal mic is also plugged in/used)? We have a Guitar center in NYC, but they don't have much of anything I wanted in stock last time I went by (either amps or good quality gig bags). They say they'll order but you have to buy sight unseen... Maybe Sam Ash...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM

The dynamic range is fine, but I do think the emphasis is on quality of sound rather than volume. In my experience, the Crates are "loud", but they honk, or bark because they are not FRFR - to me, they seem very mid-rangy. The AC-30 is plenty "loud" for me - I didn't turn the Crates up to 10 since I couldn't stand them at 4. For me, my A-Ref has plenty of volume, but there were some complaints that the volume wasn't up to a 200 watt standard. But the sound quality at my preferences is flat gorgeous......

So you'll have to try any of these amps live in your gigging situation, if that is a concern to you. There are a lot of amps that suck as far as tone quality is concerned, but are plenty loud...... your ears and artistic taste have to be the final arbiter....

But I did turn it up to 10, and sound quality remained fine...

Quote:
Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 PM

Kind of phenomenal, but google turns up a whole bunch of sellers of the Roland now and they all have the same price. Some have free shipping tho...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification