The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thanks Bob. Yes I listened to the JBL Prx's and Mackie SRM450's. They local shop I deal with did not have EV's EVx-Lives which I've heard good things about or the new Yamaha Powered 12's.

I felt the QSC's walked all over the JBL's in terms of clarity and smooth mids and highs. The Mackies 450's just dont even compete with the QSC's. The SRM450's mids and highs are 'harsh and edgy' sounding to my ears. The JBL's were just a bit too midrangey.

I wanted to like the JBL powered 12's because they were cheaper. I listened the QSC's, then the JBL's and liked the JBL's. They when we switched back to the QSC's the sonic clarity walked all over the JBL's.

Did not even consider the EON series JBL's.
I'm not surprised. The 450's and the Eons do not have much love on any forum I visit. I haven't heard the Prx's and they weren't out when I bought mine but I have heard the praises of the PRX. Although I never heard the K12, I owned a pair (and still have one) K8 and the sound is extremely smooth and pleasant sounding. As I've stated, the K8 throw in a larger room with a lot of conversation didn't seem to penetrate enough. I attributed it to the wide dispersion of the 8 as well as what I had read on the "conical" design of the K series horn. I went with the EV because of my previous experience with an Sx100 and the reputation of the SxA360. Would love to hear a side by side of the K12 and SxA360 just for the heck of it but there is NO Doubt that the K series in general is a great sounding speaker and that the K12 should throw much deeper than the K8 as well as sound much fuller and deeper. I also own QSC amps for my larger system and they have a great reputation for sonic quality and durability.
Best of luck with your system for many years to come!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
. ....The caveat being, most 'great talent' doesn't allow or use gear that gives crappy tone in my experience.
Maybe not "crappy" tone but I am suprised at the mindset of "good enough" when it comes to sound systems while at the same time one might have top notch gear in every other aspect.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Thanks for the report, Gary.

Like Bob, your experience was pretty much what I expected to hear.

A question (you may have answered this already, forgive me if so) -- Were you primarily seated or standing for your performance? And where in relation to ear-level did that place the K-12 in terms of monitoring your sound? (I am wondering if you had to fiddle with placement in order to avoid feedback from your vocal mic.)

Thanks.

I found that the K8's seem to have the high end a bit rolled off which helped tremendously with mic placement. The EV's I use "I" feel have a little more sparkle so mic placement is a little more critical except that the horn pattern on the EV is narrower which helps again with mic placement. (If any of that makes any sense)
I raise my speakers quite a bit. I'm 6'2" and place the bottom of the cabinet right on top of my shoulder. This is a bit higher than I have done in the past with rock bands but it keeps any penetrating of the highs away from the patrons in front having dinner conversations while also getting the sound deeper in the room without any "bodies" blocking the sound. Speakers are to my left and right (left only when using one speaker. Right ear is just for show) and "just" behind even with me. I hear them perfectly without monitors. I once used my K8 as a monitor playing with a "Duo" partner and I heard more sound coming from the mains as I did from my k8.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks Gary, that's helpful. And good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
The EV's I use "I" feel have a little more sparkle so mic placement is a little more critical except that the horn pattern on the EV is narrower which helps again with mic placement. (If any of that makes any sense)
And yes, Bob.....that makes a lot of sense.

At this point in my own planning, I'm fairly sure I'm going to adopt somewhat of a "hybrid" approach. Probably combine a SoloAmp with one EV ELX112P (the new series). This is for a four-member acoustic group, with the idea being to send the primary vocals (female), and also maybe the fiddle, through the Fishman, with guitar and hand drum going through the EV. Small venues, relatively quiet audience.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 05-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Gary, that's helpful. And good to know.

And yes, Bob.....that makes a lot of sense.

At this point in my own planning, I'm fairly sure I'm going to adopt somewhat of a "hybrid" approach. Probably combine a SoloAmp with one EV ELX112P (the new series). This is for a four-member acoustic group, with the idea being to send the primary vocals (female), and also maybe the fiddle, through the Fishman, with guitar and hand drum going through the EV. Small venues, relatively quiet audience.

I was going to comment that I've read mad props and compliments on the newest EV Livex series of Powered Speakers. The new Yamaha's too. None of those are losers. But any given musician will have preferences for one or the other. The EV's however are available a very very attractive price point.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Here are a couple pics from my gig Friday night at the Westin Resort hotel gig. This way you can see the height and position of the K12 in relation to where I was standing, singing and playing. PS: (to Bob) My Gibson is a custom shop ES339. About a year old. Love it to death! Small body like a Les Paul, hollow body tones similar to a 335, but rocks like a solid body when I want too. I play it fairly clean, bluesy and jazzy at my solo gigs however.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Super photos, Gary. Great to see.

Nice idea to use the clip-on lights near your mixer.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Super photos, Gary. Great to see.

Nice idea to use the clip-on lights near your mixer.

Hijack alert: Has anyone tried the Giglight? I have one and the lighting is great! I thought it was a little expensive even with the "sale" price I got it for BUT it is the best lighting I have ever seen for a music stand.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Bass player and I just got 2 qsc k12's and we're getting one qsc Ksub

Is this the recommended unit nowadays?

I'm wondering if we should get something with more channels. We got bass, guitar preamp (solstice) with xlr out, mic for vocals, and drums (not sure how many mics we'd need for a small drum set.

Allen & Heath ZED-10FX 10-Channel USB Mixer with Effects
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Bass player and I just got 2 qsc k12's and we're getting one qsc Ksub

Is this the recommended unit nowadays?

I'm wondering if we should get something with more channels. We got bass, guitar preamp (solstice) with xlr out, mic for vocals, and drums (not sure how many mics we'd need for a small drum set.

Allen & Heath ZED-10FX 10-Channel USB Mixer with Effects
I just got one of these, and I'm very pleased so far with it, but if you're pretty sure you're going to need to mic drums, you will need something with more inputs. Take a look at the larger ZEDs (the 12 and the 14). Also the Soundcraft EFX 8.

Louis
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I just got one of these, and I'm very pleased so far with it, but if you're pretty sure you're going to need to mic drums, you will need something with more inputs. Take a look at the larger ZEDs (the 12 and the 14). Also the Soundcraft EFX 8.

Louis
What he said. What you outlined will max out the four primary inputs on the ZED10FX. Chances are you'll need more inputs. For what its worth, I have had great success mic'ing the kick drum and using one good overheard condenser mic for drums. But that would still necessitate your need for a 5th mic input at a minimum.

Not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere the AH ZED12FX preamps are not the same/newer ones that are in the ZED10FX. Can anyone confirm? ...The ZED10FX Preamps sounds sweeet! Good stuff for sure!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Here's what the bass player thinks. I don't think this will work.

He's thinking of an Avalon U5 bass DI
So bass (electric and standup (with p/u)) > avalon u5 > mixer > qsc

My setup = vocal mic > mixer > qsc
Guitars (all with pickups) > DTAR solstice preamp > mixer > qsc

We know we need a sub, but would like to see if we could get away without one for now till we have the cash.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Kicking this to the top. I've added the second K12, but have yet to really need it at the acoustic gigs I do. Even at the large resort (photo's from a few posts up) ...the single K12 worked fine. Would a second K12 be even better? Yes, but not really needed. Now I am wondering if maybe a K10 is the ideal size/weight ...and a pair of them even better. My K12's however are going nowhere. Simply stunning performance!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

May just use the pair of K12's and leave it at that. Need to a gig or two with the pair to determine whether I need a monitor or not. Does anyone use a pair of powered QSC's also use a Monitor for acoustic Solo or Duo Gigs? I would think a monitor might not be necessary at the volumes I/we typically play at.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM

I use Shure clear colored IEM plugged into my headphone jack of my mixer along with my pair of QSC speakers. I don't need them for every venue or setup but I always bring them along. My hat helps makes them almost invisible to the audience and I run the cord down the back of my shirt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification