The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-16-2019, 08:16 PM

Default NAD-Electric

I have a 1999 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Bought it new and it has served me well, though I don't play much electric anymore. Last week I had a rare electric gig at a large venue that has hosted Snoop Dog and Kenny Chesney, among others. The schlep from the parking lot to the stage carrying the Hot Rod Deluxe reminded me I quite the same strapping lad I was at 38 (when I bought the amp) than I am at 58.

So, I decided to try one of the new fangled modeling amps: the Fender Mustang GT100. Got it yesterday and have been experimenting and customizing the 100+ presets.

I have to say, modeling has come as far with amps as it has with acoustic guitars preamps. While it still lacks the 3D feel of a great tube amp, it's getting pretty darn close. The variety of amps sounds, from Mesa Boogie to Marshall stacks to vintage Fenders is amazing.

The foot pedal also has a looper and tuner AND the amp has bluetooth so you can stream music from your phone or iPad. Makes practice fun and easy. You can also download scores of amateur custom presets from your phone using the Fender app.

The final kicker is it weighs next to nothing and costs about half of what I paid for my Hot Rod Deluxe "back in the day."

Anyone else have experiences with the Fender Mustang GT or other modeling amps that you're using? Would love to hear any tips, suggestions, etc.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 AM

I haven't gone for modeling (as in sound processing by a computer). I must be allergic, or something

My approach to lightweight gear is using a stompbox preamp, with speaker emulation, that can be plugged into PA, monitor speaker, or whatever other sound system. Many preamps now also feature a USB connection for going straight into a computer.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I have a 1999 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Bought it new and it has served me well, though I don't play much electric anymore. Last week I had a rare electric gig at a large venue that has hosted Snoop Dog and Kenny Chesney, among others. The schlep from the parking lot to the stage carrying the Hot Rod Deluxe reminded me I quite the same strapping lad I was at 38 (when I bought the amp) than I am at 58.

So, I decided to try one of the new fangled modeling amps: the Fender Mustang GT100. Got it yesterday and have been experimenting and customizing the 100+ presets.

I have to say, modeling has come as far with amps as it has with acoustic guitars preamps. While it still lacks the 3D feel of a great tube amp, it's getting pretty darn close. The variety of amps sounds, from Mesa Boogie to Marshall stacks to vintage Fenders is amazing.

The foot pedal also has a looper and tuner AND the amp has bluetooth so you can stream music from your phone or iPad. Makes practice fun and easy. You can also download scores of amateur custom presets from your phone using the Fender app.

The final kicker is it weighs next to nothing and costs about half of what I paid for my Hot Rod Deluxe "back in the day."

Anyone else have experiences with the Fender Mustang GT or other modeling amps that you're using? Would love to hear any tips, suggestions, etc.
I have the Yamaha THR10C which is a practice modeling amp with a setting for acoustic amplification with mic emulation.

I think the quality of the amp modeling would fool a LOT of pros, and with the dozens of niche sounds, it's a no-brainer. I mean especially with the weight of a tube amp. Tube amps are really, really cool and have a lot of mystique because of the mind blowing sounds they can deliver. But a Fender Rhodes is amazing, but almost no one plays one anymore, and they are no longer in production. Either the player's keyboard has a preset or they use a VST.
With the highest tech modeling amps and pedals, you can dial in a sound similar to ACDC and then switch to Mark Knopfler in a heartbeat getting all the correct reverb and delay settings. Wow.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I haven't gone for modeling (as in sound processing by a computer). I must be allergic, or something

My approach to lightweight gear is using a stompbox preamp, with speaker emulation, that can be plugged into PA, monitor speaker, or whatever other sound system. Many preamps now also feature a USB connection for going straight into a computer.
What stompbox preamp do you use?

Ruppster - Congrats on the Mustang. Lots of positive reviews on it. Modeling amps have come a long way over the years.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 AM

My only preamp now is the Blackstar HT-Dual. Not sure if it is in production any more.

I use it sort of backwards: for real cleans I turn down the gain on Channel 2 which is the hotter side but also "darker" sounding; for edge of breakup and a bit of crunch, I turn up the gain on Channel 1 which is brighter.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 AM

I love my Hot Rod Deluxe, but yes it's weight is more of a negative now then when I bought it back last century.

I have a Mustang III from the previous generation. Not as lightweight as the Mustang GT line, but I like the sound and the speaker-emulated direct out. I use one preset 80% of the time (Princeton). Not 100% the feel of a tube amp in it's sweet spot, but it can get valid timbres at any volume.

My son is learning bass with a teacher (as opposed to what I did, which was figure out something/anything on my own). I bought a used Fender Rumble 100 bass amp. Man! is that thing light! Sounds great too. Not a "modeling amp" in the sense of having wink-wink names for the settings, but a wide variety of sounds from the knobs and switches.

I'll sometime record "all in the box" using software amp emulations too, either the built-in ones in Apple Logic or Amplitude. One neat thing of in the box recording is that you can do it without any noise bothering others and there are great emulations of various mics, mic positions and rooms. A drawback is the same thing, no interaction between the guitar and amp blasting sound in the room.

The bass preamp model in Logic is great, worth the cost of the program in itself to me. It's so easy to dial in a great bass sound with it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars