The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Seymour Duncan Mag Mic installed in Eastman E1OM

Really simple, even if you're not patient like me. Strings off/out of the way. Prep neck block and install battery box. On the Eastman, the endpin comes out with a little persuasion. The hole there is really close to the right size. A little time with a file and the hole was ready. No drilling needed. I used my studio headphones to help install the endpin jack. I had to make the length from the lock washer to the end of the jack a hair shorter than the recommended distance to get the enpin jack to snug up to my liking. Then used included hold-downs to tidy up the excess cable. Finally put a Duracell in it, mounted the pickup, snugged it in place and put the strings back on. Initial testing through mixer and headphones has me very optimistic that I'm going to love it. Stay tuned for sound bytes later this week.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Default Sound Clips

Here are some sound clips:

https://youtu.be/K41-WvqIZjc
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Here are some sound clips:

https://youtu.be/K41-WvqIZjc
That pickup sounds like a good match for your Eastman. I know most people would start with EQ-ing the pickup with it on full magnetic and then add a little mic for air. But the magmic is a bit different, when you get to EQ'ing the pickup, start with the mic on 100, and then back up the mic after EQ-ing. I learned this trick from another forum member and it works very well with the mag mic. Give it a try!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I’ve heard good things about these but is it heavy?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Heavy seems like a relative word to me, but I'd say the pickup element itself is less heft than a humbucker. It probably weighs as much as a P90, maybe a little less. Then the battery tray weighs very little.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Probably no heavier than my Sunrise!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Anyway, the sound is great! Natural sounding. I have yet to have any feedback issues. I'm happy with it
Old 03-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Laurence Juber was a big proponent of SD Mag-Mics before he switched to a D-Tar System. I know he had his Mag-Mics modiifed by SD’s Custom Shop by Evan Skopp(sp). I thought they sounded VG when I saw him perform several times B4 the move to D-Tar pups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification