The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Compression Pedal

Hi,

I tried using one of my electric guitar compressor pedals on my acoustic with somewhat disappointing results. The pedal seems to suck out a lot of the bottom end and leave me without that fat bass sound that I like for my solo guitar stuff.

Is there a compressor pedal more suited for acoustic guitar? I'm just looking for something to tighten up the sound of my bass notes and make everything sound a bit more 'defined'. (I know, my sound vocabulary is somewhat limited!)

The pickups I am using are an M1 and a Dazzo (SBT).

Also, the smaller the unit, the better!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Hi,

I tried using one of my electric guitar compressor pedals on my acoustic with somewhat disappointing results. The pedal seems to suck out a lot of the bottom end and leave me without that fat bass sound that I like for my solo guitar stuff.

Is there a compressor pedal more suited for acoustic guitar? I'm just looking for something to tighten up the sound of my bass notes and make everything sound a bit more 'defined'. (I know, my sound vocabulary is somewhat limited!)

I couldn't get the compression subtle enough on my acoustic when I tried it with my Whirwind compressor pedal that I use with my electric (I wish it had a mix knob) but I do like the compression on my Fishman Spectrum DI you can dial it in subtle which is what I prefer.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 AM

A very good pedal for acoustic guitars is Aphex punch factory.It is quite subtle and doesn't reverse the phase,something common with other compressor pedals.It is very good with acoustic pickups(sunrise) and s/board transducers(schatten,i beam,kk )
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Hi,

Hi wn...

I used compressors live for about 5 years. I never used compression to tighten sound, and I would certainly not make the size of the compressor my criteria for choosing one.

Most floor pedals when I began exploring just didn't have the fidelity nor the adjustments needed to handle acoustic guitars, which have a far wider dynamic range and frequency spectrum than the electric guitars.

For acoustic guitar you need to be able to adjust output volumes, ratio, soft knee/hard knee or RMS voltage (how it determines whether to slam you into compression or ease you into it), how fast it engages and how fast/slow it releases.

I used rack mount compressors for years, because when I played live in groups I got tired of playing air guitar when I fingerpicked or tried to play a lead part. In those days if you strummed, the tech set your level for that, and then when you fingerpicked or played lead, they didn't bring your levels up in the mix.

So using a compressor I could even out the the differences in my styles, and I could be heard in the mix all the time. I also had techs set the level to my fingerpicking and then they didn't have to turn me up/down when I changed styles.

Worked very well...in fact the compressor frustrated techs who thought they should have to turn you down when you went back to strumming only to discover you weren't any louder in the mix. They liked it enough to ask how were getting that 'effect' and a couple churches added compressors to their stock equipment.

I quite successfully used ones which were in the $100-150 per channel models (sometimes even less in 2 channel rack mounts).

As time has progressed, the techs have improved, so these days I'm not using the compressor any more. And I went from internal to outboard preamps right in front of me, and I can reach out and boost my own signal if needs be.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM

A compressor (by it's very core design) limits dynamic range. Everything I love about acoustic guitars is wrapped around their unique dynamic range.

We spend countless hours around here tryin' to figure out how to make our electric acoustic sound like our recorded acoustic. Microphones always attract folks because they're much better at capturing that very dynamic range. Pickups don't do that very well, or even at all. A compressor then is yet another step away from the natural dynamics of an acoustic assuming of course you're using a pickup of some kind.

Now that of course is not to say you may in fact be after some very specific sound that's unique to you and if so I understand your search albeit not for me. On the other hand compressors are historically Titanically misunderstood around here and the mind set for a long period of time was everyone needs a compressor...the problem was nobody knew why.

In the end your right hand technique is the single most effective compressor ever introduced to any acoustic guitarist, it won't hinder your tone, it'll make for a more interesting performance and it doesn't cost a penny
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Hi there,

I like a little compression on my acoustic sound too...just to even things out a bit as I fingerpick and strum (without pick) and I find it does help

I have tried quite a few comps to see what works best...

The best seems to be the Diamond CPR-1, if you really want a great comp and can afford it I'd go for that

Also I hear the Moen Uni-Comp or the newer Ulite (smaller version) are good too as they have the tilt-eq knob like the Diamond which is very helpful for acoustics...I have not tried the Moen yet but I plan on getting one soon as they are not so expensive

I also have an 80's vestax comp which I got very cheap and it works well, it also has treble and mid controls...maybe you can find one on ebay
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM

I have used several compressors and own several Analogman, Boss and Fishman pedals.

I like the Fishman the best on the acoustic guitars because it does not change the tone and is really very transparent sounding. Makes since because Fishman includes it in the F1 Aura system and Aura Spectrum which are specifically designed for acoustic guitars. My other pedals are really for electrics and definitely add "color" which I like on my electrics but not the acoustics.

My Yamaha MG124 mixer has compression built in and it is actually pretty good on acoustics.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:07 PM

I guess the question becomes what can a compressor do that paying attention to your right hand technique and attack can't??

Striving to be better at what you do seems a much more fruitful endeavor than buying something that; not only is not as effective as good ole understanding and practice but a) doesn't cost a thing and b) isn't nearly as tone evasive.

Why the rush to purchase?

I mean......I would, beyond any shadow of any doubt, put a Charter Oak comp in my recording bay if someone was willing to donate. The last couple of John Mayer projects bring to light just how juicy a good room, a good guitar, a good compressor and a good guitar player can be. That however, is a universe away from inserting a cheapo comp in-line, in a live rig in an attempt to do what?? Even out your right hand technique?? Again I'd submit don't rush to buy something but instead rush to practice and understand what the issues are.

I dunno...why would you put a device that by it's very design is supposed to limit dynamics smack dab into you live rig??
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I guess the question becomes what can a compressor do that paying attention to your right hand technique and attack can't??

I dunno...why would you put a device that by it's very design is supposed to limit dynamics smack dab into you live rig??
Just because I like it for certain songs especially rock and real percussive styles. I wouldn't use one when I finger pick. I agree it doesn't make an acoustic guitar sound natural , however sometimes that is what I want.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM

I can get away with my HBR CPR which is really made for electric guitar but I use it sometimes. The HBE CPR is a really great compressor and I love it to death. When I play my Gretsch electric I also use a Janglebox JB2 but that is just for electric and not subtle at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 AM

I also can recommend the one-knob compressor in Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.
Very transparent without negative artifacts, just tailored for acoustic guitars.
I use it in 11 o'clock position to even out my quite hard flamenco-style finger-strumming vs. finger picking within a song, results also in slightly more (wanted) punch/pressure.

Beside that fact, in my opinion this unit is a must have for every plugged acoustic guitar.
This is also my only FX I use live (no reverb/delay/modulation....) and I get a good amplified natural acoustic sound.
Absolutely worth the money.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiniLive View Post
just tailored for acoustic guitars.
How can a compressor be tailored specifically for an acoustic guitar??
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
How can a compressor be tailored specifically for an acoustic guitar??
I think it's the internally algorithm (mostly a well-kept secret in some compressors).
Attack, release, flavour etc. optimized just for acoustic guitar behaviour solved in an easiest-to-use one-knob solution.
IMO, this one knob doesn't just set the threshold of the compressor, because it doesn't pump, distort...on any setting, so it must be more.

But what do I know, I'm no technical freak, I just trust my ears (at least in comparision to a BBE OptoStomp).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification